Going thru rears

oldmates260z

My son's 260Z 2+2 is going thru rear tyres

Put a set on Michellins on it thinking that he would get some more k's but worn them out in less than 20,000k

Is this common?

It does have a bit of rear end movement, not sure if that is related?

He tells me he is not doing burn outs!

• Moderators

Are they wearing across the whole tread width or just on the edges? If they are a soft compound tyre, they don't last long. If they are a plastic compound and last for 100,000k's, I'd be worried!

I'd have to agree with Sulio, it depends on the compound of the tires. The stickier they are the less they last. How ever it works both ways... the longer they last the less grip they have and ultimately is very dangerous, as it is slippery not only in dry but even worse in wet.

With that being said, there's also lifetime of the tires. Stickier tires also fade and become less sticky (harden) over time. It's the matter of balancing which tires suits you best for your use.

Still go and get a wheel alignment and ask them to tell you how the rear wheels are. Zeds are natorious for not having the rear wheels in alignment. Wears out tyres fast and affects handling. Find out that then we can tell you how to fix reasonably simply.

I just had a wheel alignment done on my '73 240Z (not sure if this also applies for the 260z's), but there is no adjustment for anything on the rear.  And as you would guess, every possible measurement on my rears were out.  I have done a bit of a quick search and found that you can get some modifications to make thing adjustable.  I got Bob Jane to do the alignment for me.

Just thought that I'd let you know.

Cheers,

Matt

Yeah when I got mine done a few times the guys would always go and have a quiet word with each other and say nothning because there was no rear adj. But if they had of told me how far it was out I would have done something. Anyway there is a reasonably cheap fix to get perfect alignment. Let me know if it is out and I will sort you out with contacts for the fix.

first of all, bugger off the bj t marts, expensive 2nd rate tyres for just about anything.

I use a place where the stocky and sell what ever you want not just a few particular brands and excludes the jap tyres.

wheel aligntment i would say have a look at but it doesnt negate the fact, if they are driven hard without burnouts they will wear rapidly. simmple, if the wear is nice and even the id just say they have been used WELL ie pushing them but nothin toooo silly.

I find michelins are quite soft & sticky when pushed therefore wear relatively quickly to the like of bridgies, yoki's etc.

keep us posted wityh your findings...