6 replies to this topic

#1 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

Would highly recommend competing in a skid pan and 'go to whoa' day at deca in Shepparton.Last Sunday 17 Aug. there was action aplenty for all of the family to participate in and watch.I have not seen the final times as yet but am confident that the 'zeds' and dattos aquitted themselves extremely well,hopefully producing better times than the FORDS.The day was run  jointly by THE FPV XR8 CLUB of Vic. and the NDSOC ,all events went smoothly and were tremendous fun.This was my first attempt at this event , IT WAS A BLAST.My only dissapointment was not entering the "VB" shoot out....yours chev z

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:11 PM

And you are??

I reckon ZZZ8's alter ego...

#3 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

I am a new guy , if you call 52 yrs new,just starting to have fun racing[ at my pace], have only competed at  winton in a fun day  and the deca day.The bad thing is I am finding it highly addictive.I purchased my 260 2+2 from Q'ld and have since fitted 1/2 roll cage ,fully adjustable koni suspension[still getting a lot of roll front end ], hilux 4 spot on front disc,sports seats[mainly for comfort,OLD BACK],15 x 7superlites,kumho semi slicks and a bonnet with a scoop to accomadate a larger filter so the stock V6 chev can breathe , oh I nearly forgot the LSD diff that your members suggested[I just installed that last week]I hope this somewhat satisfies your curiosity LOL.If I could work a computer I would down load a pic,you will  find  one in the FPV xr8 club site under deca day....P.S...I have heaps to learn,hopefully they are wrong about OLD DOGS

#4 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hey Chev Z I heard you got some pretty good times. Did only 4 Datto's turn up for the Ford vs Datsun shoot out? I tried to attach a photo I got on the day but didn't work. Bit of body roll but I am sure now you have the bug some new heavier springs will be on the list to order. Look forward to seeing your car one day. Cheers

#5 chev z

chev z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:06 PM

Well ALTER ..err..zzz8 , I haven't seen any times as yet, but I'm sure they will be my PB[ sorry olympic overload] ,as for the number of dattos 5 pre '75 but a very good number of very enthusiastic 300 zx guys and girls .They had a ball, there were some handy steerers amongst them.I think my body roll has more to do with insufficient sway bar strenght [ ridgidity ] than spring poundage. Spings are working individually ,whereas a swaybar twists , so actually is helped by both actions .Somebody with more knowledge will hopefully confirm this or I have just wasted some money on a 26mm front bar.My car was running 20mm front and back.Do you know if there are any other days like DECA in Vic or other states,as I would love my kids to learn some car handling skills in what is a very safe environment.

#6 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

I think my body roll has more to do with insufficient sway bar strenght [ ridgidity ] than spring poundage. Spings are working individually ,whereas a swaybar twists , so actually is helped by both actions .Somebody with more knowledge will hopefully confirm this or I have just wasted some money on a 26mm front bar.

Both soft springs and soft swaybars will contribute to body roll.  Springs are usually rated in pounds per inch, which is to do with how much force needs to be applied to them to compress them.  As you corner, the body weight is leaning hard on the outer springs, exerting a given force (combination of vehicle weight, g-force and swaybars, among other factors).  This force will compress the spring a certain amount.  If you then put heavier springs in, but were able to keep the other factors the same, the amount the spring is compressed will be reduced. 

I have the thought off the top of my head that a swaybar has more effect on the inside wheel than on the outside wheel - as in, it tries to keep the car level left to right.  Its not really strong enough to have much of an effect on how much the cars weight is compressing the outer spring, but it can have a big effect on the inner (unloaded) wheel which is being pushed down by the spring alone.

My thought here is that in simple terms (with relation to bodyroll):  Stiffer springs stop the outer side of the body compressing down, while stiffer swaybars stop the inner side of the body lifting up.  Something I haven't really thought about in detail before, would appreciate anyone elses point of view on this.

Do you know if there are any other days like DECA in Vic or other states,

2 Alfa club ones I know of in the near (and not so near!) future:
http://www.alfaclubv...view/extid,165/
http://www.alfaclubv...8/topic,1696.0/

#7 biggels240z

biggels240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Must admit i competed in the DECA day and it was awesome fun came 4th in the VB challenge thanks to by handbrake chucking it in , but i was a awesome day , having said that chev z would have kicked my arse uf hadnt but it on the trailer to ealy, cant wait for the next event !!!!!

cheers
Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users