#1 woza01

woza01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hi all,

My original 5 speed has decided it doesn't enjoy life any more, so its time to go......Id like to put in an RB25DET 5 speed. Does ANYONE know who makes/can make a custom bellhousing for the RB25 Box so that it will bolt up to the L series engine ?.

I have seen an adaptor plate that available, but you also have to buy a Z32 bellhousing, get it machined & modified etc to get it to work - to be honest, it looks pretty disgusting.

I know that these bellhousings have been done before, as I have a magazine that features a 280ZX turbo in Victoria, with an L28ET mated up to an RB25DET box.

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Woa01

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

I know Jack has a 25det box behind his L28et.
I think someone mentioned it was modded in NSW...
I know guys that do Drifting have them modded to suit their SR20's, so perhaps a look on nissansilvia.com might be helpful?

BTW, where are you in Kwinana!?!?!?!?
I'm currently in Rocko...

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

I know Jack has a 25det box behind his L28et.
I think someone mentioned it was modded in NSW...
I know guys that do Drifting have them modded to suit their SR20's, so perhaps a look on nissansilvia.com might be helpful?

BTW, where are you in Kwinana!?!?!?!?
I'm currently in Rocko...

I was under the impression Jack's (yellow 240z with L28ET) had an FJ20 box, or maybe it was an FJ20 bell housing?

I'm not sure, Jack hasn't signed in here in ages and I never see him on MSN anymore. He might still be watching the site???

There is a guy in Queensland called Simon with a yellow L28 Turbo Z. I think he used an S13 gearbox, with 260z bell housing - not 100% sure though.

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

if thats the car in the mag then it confirms what lurch has said

from what i remember jack saying at that awesome cruise lurch organized is it is a 25 gearbox, was it has to be done just right otherwise it spits out (either the flywheel or clutch plate) though the bellhousing?!?

the article that image is stolen from says the car has a "heavily internally modified late model FJ20T gearbox", so maybe it was changed since it was written?

#5 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

I positive it now runs a 25det box.
I remember talking about it in the Safeway carpark in Belgrave after that insane cruise... ;D :P

#6 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:22 PM

I can confirm Jack has a RB25DET box, he bought the engine from me.

cheers.

#7 woza01

woza01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Thanks Guys...Ill keep the inverstigation going. A an alternative I might just simply do a complete RB25DET engine AND gearbox swap, and take out my L28ET first. I actually have approval in principle to do this already. It means however that Id need to sell my current donk...but it will go as a complete bolt in package.....intercooler, ducting, engine, gearbox, exhaust, fuel pump, Haltech E6X & a laptop to tune it with, lots of fruity shiney bits that havent gone on it yet etc etc etc.....

Time will tell I guess !

Cheers

Woza

#8 Vindicare

Vindicare

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:59 AM

Im just about to finish my rb25det gearbox install behind a l24et. I used Austins adapter and found myself a z32 bell housing. Martin has finished installing it for me, it now just needs a couple of tweaks and a tail shaft to finish up. It's definitely not a cheap install. It has run me close to 4k so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users