Wanted Spindle Pin Puller

Mr240z

Hi looking to loan /rent or buy, if cheap a spindle pin puller .Been trying to change bushs but cant get pins out tried hammer that didn't work than found out about puller.I'm in sydney any help would be good.

If any one knows a safe way to remove pins without a puller can you let me know please.

Many thanks  Paul MR240Z ;D

Yes the spindles weld themselves to the steel inner bushes; certainly with my car '74 260Z Nissan must have used little or no grease when they put the thing togther. Check, however, that you have removed the spindle lock pins - they are a wedge type bolt to secure the middle/side of the spindle & prevent it moving forward or back.

I had a devil of a job with my car; I bought it car at 10 yrs old & 2 yrs later noticed that there appeared to be limited movement in the rear - it looked like it was bound up - so pulled it all apart to rebuild it. Not having spare money, fancy tools or knowing anyone in the trade I had to resort to basic home mechanics 101. I carefully & surgically cut away each spindle at each end to free each suspension arm, then used heat to gradually burn the rubber & break the steel corrosion bond & a fine cold chisel to chisel it all away enough to finally break free the bonded-together steel & molten rubber messes enough so they could be driven out. Then had to carefully file & cut away / drive out the remaining outer steel bush sleeves, remedy the damaged paintwork, press in new bushes (local garage helped me here) & installed new spindles & spindle lock pins with lots of anti-seizure copper-based grease. 22 yrs on & all is still well as far as I know. Took ages & a lot of patience & persistance but it worked for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the info gilltech.I'll have a go on the weekend and tell you how i went . The problem i got is that when i go around corners with a bit of speed the back seems to bounce out. like i hit ruts in the road and feels like something is giving way in the backend not like it slides out more like bounces out.Any ideas?

Hay thanks again for your help

• Administrators

I must have missed this post.

Gilltech is absolutely right, you need to remove the centre pin that holds them in place. I managed to get mine out by putting a nut on one end so that it was flush with the thread on the spindle pin and with a soft carboard (piece of box) to cushion it, I hammered it out.

I damanged 1 spindle pin with the hammer though and had to go to a wrecker to get another. When I got there, Zworx it was in Melbourne - Warren told me he had never changed over those bushes on a Zcar in all the years he was there.

Good luck with it and if you can get the tool, I'd recommend it - will save you destorying them getting them out, if you do damage them though you can get another set on ebay cheaply.

Just an idea.

I am sure we have some members on here that could use their machining skills to make a spindle pin puller & that the Club or member could pay for the materials then donate the pin puller to the Club.

The pin could then be hired out to any member needing it for a small cost plus postage & the Club could raise some revenue.

There is a write up of materials & how to make the puller on Zhome.com .

Go to Index of Tech Articles, then Tech Posts & Articles, then Special Tools for First Generation Z,s then how to make a spindle pin removal tool. Just a thought...

I had the same problem a few months back trying to remove the spindle pins, looked up on the net and found out about the pullers

Took me a trip to bunnings and 4-5hrs to get both pins out, still have the puller I made up sitting in the shed.

I must say tho there is a huge amount of stress put on the puller and found that after pulling my two pin out it's almost a throwaway job, it quickly destroys the nuts and thread

Sounds like bound-up spindles are a pretty rare event, then; my car must have been a freak, strange as it originated from the dry Otago region of NZ's South Island - no rust or corrosion evident anywhere else on the car, but no sign of any lubrication to the spindles either. I had expected bronze inner bushes like on motorbikes I'd owned but all parts were steel with incredibly strong rubber inserts.

Subsequently I've heard of another Zed owner having hassles removing spindles but he had access to a machine shop & a big press & drove the spindles out after making purpose-made drifts sized precisely, after some trial & error, but the spindles were beyond saving after a huge amount of force was applied to their ends.

I think the puller idea has merit, but as has been pointed out may be a tool to be used a few times then thrown away as the threads will really suffer. What type of thread would be strongest for this - Whitworth?

NO, suitably lube threads with wither straight grease or never seize, (on the threaded pulling shaft, not the Z sppindle).

and make the puller with heavier tube to ensure youre right for many pulls to come.

only diff by a metric etween whiworth and UNF is 1 degree on the thread angle.

as above with the lube, id highly recommend the never seize option.

nat0

• 5 months later...

I did use grease on the threads on my home make puller, and also heated up the cast around the pin.

Still destroyed the thread, I dare say If I didn't heat it at all it would have striped the threads completely.

Mind you, the extra cheap Bunnings thread and nut's I used might have been the direct problem, it worked twice and that's all I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this,

aseeing as I had the saeme problem recently.

Mine was solved with a dead blow mallet with a fibre head and my bicep.

I was thinking if you made up a nut with a loop on thre end of it you could get away with using a slide hammer.

As far as putting it back in I STRONGLY suggest putting it back together on the bench as a full piece (strut tower and control arm) due to how hard it is to realign the holes when it is in the car, (truxst me i know I found this out last night first hand