stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Hey guys,

Got a quote from Lee Brothers Auto Upholstery in Albion (Brisbane) to redo both of the original seats in black velour. They quoted me approx $350 per seat, so about $700 all up. They also said they would fix the packing in the drivers seat so its more comfortable, the lower back part seems to be a flatter than it should.

I was wondering if anyone has experience having velour instead of vinyl seats and whether it still looks good? I know that vinyl heats up and that's the reason I was avoiding it.

I was also thinking about getting a red outline around the edges of the seats to match the black and red colours of the car itself, but I don't want it to look tacky and can't be sure it won't. Any opinions on this?

I've attached a picture of my interior. Ignore the crappy dash cover. Speaking of dash covers does anyone have any recommendations of where to get them in Aus? I have found them on MSA but obviously they are all LHD.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted Image

#2 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Tagline:www.facebook.com/mankiniadventures

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

Personally I would prefer to stick with vinyl or even go leather. But you do have a valid point with the heat issues. This is only an issue is Tassie for 3 months of the year.

I think a red bead on the two seams that run length ways up the seat, offset to the center would look good.
I would avoid putting a red bead on the edges etc. but it is your choice.

I have a dash cover for my 2+2 260Z, It is made of a material like a plastic scouring sponge, just it is grey and softer. This cover is flimsy and slips off my dash all the time due to it not being velcro'ed down. But the shape is better than your current one.
I could probably take it to an upholsterer in Tasmania and get them to cut a template in any material you want. The material would have to be soft so that it would mould to the contours of your dash under it's own weight.

With the dash covers you have seen on E-bay, are they the same material top and bottom? If so all they would need is flipping over and they should fit a RHD car.

Have you had a look at the seat re-upholtering kits on ebay? Would these work out cheaper? The manufactures of these kits may make you a set in velour.

#3 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Get you dash reskinned for around $400...............as for the seats you should be able to get them retrimmed in leather for around $400 each as well...........much nicer than vinyl and more durable

#4 vinny

vinny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

Kep in mind that velour might be harder to keep clean. The price seems okay a friend of mine is getting 2 front seats done in vinyl for a XY falcon 300 each.

#5 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

since you dont seem that set on keeping the car stock, have you thought about getting some seats out of another car? you can get suede rx7 ones for <500, and leather ones for a bit more, or just normal material type ones, and there's alot of other options too from other cars ofcourse

Posted Image

#6 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

for that money i would definetly want leather.  ;D
seems a bit steep. Try looking else where im sure theres lot of upholsterers around Brisi.

i got my front and rear seats redone for $250 but material was mine. but we are talking 4 seats.

as for leather being more durable ill probably argue that point. has anyone seen 25year old leather seat. it may not unstitch but after fairly short time it will start developing wrinkles and the colouring will disapear.

have a look at some latish model bmw ie 98  and drivers leather seat. 99% it will be wrinkly and discoloured.Thats from a bmw.My parents had a brand new Pajero with leather seats done after 15,000km it was showing signs of wrinkles. And my old man wasnt a big guy.

good quality vinyl will far outlast leather in aesthatics. expecialy if its been looked after bit better.

My 1974 mazda RX4 has original vinyl seats. besides the abuse they got from sharp objects in few spots they are remarkably in good condition. driver seat looks in very good shape.

some datsuns ive seen have also good vinyl.

though as for heat and tropical climate in QLD both vinyl and leather will suck. been there few times i know how it is.

if i was you prob go for velour based on the original theme. some 260z did come with optional velour and cloth seats on top with vinyl surounds and back.

my 2+2 come with velour while seats in my 240 are cloth (they are 260z seats)

search the web for 260z interior images to get the factory look. otherwise if not fussed let your imagination run wild.

When i get home ill post few pics of Z interior black velour it looked quite nice with some embroidery for that personal touch. also have tons of other styles leather vinyl etc............

#7 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

My 18 year old 1989 Z32 had leather seats and it developed cracks on the drivers side etc. But was mostly OK,

The steering wheel cover had a fair bit of wear on it as well.

I think there is synthetic options, Like soft feel Pleather (Plastic Leather) and imitation Swede.

Swede may be another option to cut down heat and give the car a classy look.

#8 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

Get you dash reskinned for around $400..............

Dash is in perfect condition  ;D I'm just looking for a better looking option to protect it.  :P

I think that the covers from MSA are a different material on the bottom, so I can't just flip them  :-[

if i was you prob go for velour based on the original theme.

The quote I got was to have the seats reupholstered in the original Z seat pattern, which is still there underneath those dodgy seat covers. Sorry for not making that clear. I definitely want to keep the original seat pattern in black!

I agree that Velour would be the best option for the QLD climate, so I'll probably stick with that material.

If anyone has any ideas or photos of Zs with nice patterns that have been reupholstered on the original seats then I would love to see/hear about them.

When i get home ill post few pics of Z interior black velour it looked quite nice with some embroidery for that personal touch.

RBZ260 I would love to see some photos! I'm having trouble finding what I want as it seems most people just put aftermarket seats in. 

I'm also tempted to get "Z" embroidered on the seats, maybe behind the shoulderblades or on the bottom of the seat. Definitely would go with a smallish font to ensure that it wouldn't look too tryhard.

Thanks for the ideas/advice, keep them coming  ;)

#9 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

some new maserati's and lambos might be of inspiration to you. they seem to be getting back into the coloured piping edging, i'm not sure if i'm a fan, this is the best pic i could find

Posted Image

Posted Image

and now i've gotten distracted, gotta love the diamond stitching!

Posted Image

Posted Image

maybe some red 'double stitching' (whats on the 240z dash below) would look good? as red stitching on steering wheels etc looks nice

Posted Image

Posted Image

regarding the dash, just covering it with a sun shade when ur parked should offer enough protection again it getting too damaged, otherwise you never get to enjoy how nice an uncracked dash looks, so wats the point of having it??? :D

#10 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:17 PM

when I had my seats done i paid $360 for both to be finsihed as per original with the two grains and the little air vents. I would'nt pay any more than that.

SUlio

#11 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3383_.jpg
  • 3381_.jpg
  • 3379_.jpg
  • 3377_.jpg

#12 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

Steve,
I got a Dash mat for my 240z from Protectomat in W.A. I bought it in July last year for $50.00 for the mat plus $11 delivery to Darwin. They sent it promptly, it fits well and looks good, I like the way it moulds around the guages. Like you I like to protect the Dash from the sun, It can be pretty fierce in Darwin and I can't always keep the car in the shade.

Protectomat have a website www.protectomat.com.au however I couldn't make the link work to contact them through the website so I rang them on (08)9370 5088 ordered and paid for it over the phone with my Master Card and it was here the next week. They also have a fax number (08) 92725513.

I hope this helps

Regards
Peter

#13 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:28 AM

Hey Zilverzed, thanks very much for the info, I'll get it through them when I have some cash to spare. Thanks mate  ;D

Had a muck around with photoshop, what do you guys think? I couldn't figure out how to do the red beads so I just had a go at having different colour panels

I know i used vinyl seats to do the photo shops but it should still look good in velour. I am partial to the red outer colour with the black inner, but I'm still toying with ideas. feel free to have a go of your own, my photoshop skills are pretty terrible.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3392_.jpg
  • 3390_.jpg
  • 3388_.jpg

#14 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:28 AM

Personal Opinion: I prefer the black outer with the red inner.

#15 modular9

modular9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

that diamond stitching is the sex! 

If i had a vote i'd go the full black or gunmetal outer ( hit the desaturate button in PS on the red layer ) with black inner. But then gunmetal + black is my colour combo of choice. 

#16 Hunter

Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

A few randoms

Attached Thumbnails

• 3400_.jpg
  • 3398_.jpg
  • 3396_.jpg
  • 3394_.jpg

#17 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:52 AM

Man, I don't know what I was thinking. I'm after more of a clean conservative look with my Z interior and as such I think I'll just keep them totally black and embroider a nice Z on the bottom of the seat.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3406_.jpg

#18 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:17 AM

In this photo is a Z with what looks to be the vinyl sides but a velour centre in the original cut.

I dont know guys, it doesn't look very nice in velour compare to vinyl... If its such an average look I might just stick with vinyl and put up with the heat...

Anyone else got Vinyl seats in QLD?

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• 3559_.jpg

#19 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:48 AM

In this photo is a Z with what looks to be the vinyl sides but a velour centre in the original cut.

I dont know guys, it doesn't look very nice in velour compare to vinyl... If its such an average look I might just stick with vinyl and put up with the heat...

Anyone else got Vinyl seats in QLD?

Steve

Hey Steve, not a fan of the velour either. I much prefer original vinyl. Queensland is a tough one - wearing shorts and all and the heat and sweat make for a not so comfortable ride. Might be worth saving a few pennies and putting some nice Recaro's or Sparco or Bride seats in.

Just depends on what you are after I guess.

#20 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

Steve I use my S15 in Summer but as soon as mid March comes around I like to get back into the Zed and cruise up the coast to work again in a real car.

Maybe you should have a cloth seat cover for the drivers seat in summer and treat it like a convertible and rip it off once the temperature drops from roasting??? Lynton 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users