1978 datsun fairlady z

hi folks. new to the site officially, but often visited before following gav240z's advice on another forum.

was waiting till my baby was purchased before i showed up here!

heres my soon to be datsun 240z.

she was purchased at an auction last week in tokyo by

newera imports ( http://www.neweraimports.com/index.htm )

and A.D.D. performance ( http://www.addperformance.ie/ )

I previously owned an s15 spec R, but a tree went through it!

shes got the original L28 straight 6, bored out to 3.0. lovely watanabe alloys and the bolt on wide arch kit. sexy time

hope to have by late august, cant wait to join in on the datsun buzz as these cars are very rare in ireland (ive never seen one anyway)

image14.jpg

image002.jpg

P7030106.jpg

P7030108.jpg

P7030110.jpg

P7030115.jpg

P7030117.jpg

the company i went through are called newera imports. they have a man based in tokyo. email him and he emails the auction sheets as the car requested becomes available. hell say exactly whats right or wrong, where work has been done. totally honest. if you dont like what he brings to you, hell just keep looking. this came up, i said x,y,z is my budget, so it was got inside that. they look after all shipping, duty, taxes everything.

when i get it, itll be registered and ready to drive, all i have to do is tell the insurance company.

all done for a reasonable set fee, no matter the cost of the car.

so im based in ireland, ill be waiting 5/6 weeks for the boat to get here.

Hot looking Z man, love it.

I'm not really up with the way the Zs were released in Japan, it confuses me. You said its your 240z but it has an original L28? I thought that motor was specifically from the 280z and 280zx. Not a big deal though.

You're gonna be the talk of the town if you are the only Z owner  ;D

Yeah, Looks Almost exactly what im looking to Eventually make :P ( Dreams )

I'm not to sure, But If its an L28 and origonal + Rear tail lights = 280z?

Eh it's a Great looking Z anyway, And im sure will be a hell to drive and own Great buy mate,

Hot looking Z man, love it.

I'm not really up with the way the Zs were released in Japan, it confuses me. You said its your 240z but it has an original L28? I thought that motor was specifically from the 280z and 280zx. Not a big deal though.

aw quit, is it a 240z, fairlady z, 260 or 280z. its all stuff that im not mad about. i just like the car so just bought it.

now, technically shes a fairlady z as its JDM. so thats nice and easy. the prob is in the western world, numbers are cool and macho. so the 240z was named after her engine (as the 350z is today). so the 260z has a 2.6, and 280z has an L28. now, in my opinion, when you say 260z, 280z etc, people think of the later heavier models, say 280zx. even though this shape is as per 240z. its just handier to say 240z. if i tell someone ive got a 280z, theyll get confused (present company excepted of course!!!) but if i say 240z, theyd have more of a chance to know it.

in saying all that, might start calling mine a 300z as shes got a L28 bored out to 3.0.

god i hate clarifying this and the worst part is, i know ive probably gotten it wrong!

Yeah, Looks Almost exactly what im looking to Eventually make :P ( Dreams )

I'm not to sure, But If its an L28 and origonal + Rear tail lights = 280z?

Eh it's a Great looking Z anyway, And im sure will be a hell to drive and own Great buy mate,

i had ordered a 240z, but then relaxed and said "of that shape"

having seen the 280z rear light cluster, i kind of prefer it..... HOWEVER, i think the 240z had a nicer dash in her. may look up threads another time to see if people have put in the older dash.

but basically its as close as i figured id get to regarding my dream Z, so i said fuckit, ill get her!

i had ordered a 240z, but then relaxed and said "of that shape"

having seen the 280z rear light cluster, i kind of prefer it..... HOWEVER, i think the 240z had a nicer dash in her. may look up threads another time to see if people have put in the older dash.

but basically its as close as i figured id get to regarding my dream Z, so i said fuckit, ill get her!

Yeah, Aslong as you've got a Z the variables in them arn't to hard to change over Eg Toecutters rear light set up ( From memory) But all just depends on money =P But personally i agree with all you've said, A Z is always going to look equal to any skyline or rx7 out there, But its when you Get one like your, (flares/Fender mirrors) they get the vintage More muscle car look that really stands out from a crowd, Atleast it has to me, I've quite often walked down Broadmeadows parking lot Seen Skyline after Supra after Ricer hatchbacks All sounding the exact same, Then seen Sach's 240z With triple carbs and thought Wow :P

The day i was doing a Re furb In big W I saw him sitting there Just idleing I thought yep, I'm buying one

- Michael

• Moderators

Like you said before ozy, You have found a zed that I'm sure anyone on this forum would kill to own, well done and it looks great! Its a shame it aint coming down to Melbourne so we can see it in person! Enjoy the hell out of it!

I just noticed the 260Z/280Z style tailights. What is this car? It has S-31 on the papers, I think NZedder has spoken about these before? Not to start the argument again lol  :P

ozy  :o It is a bastard when those trees jump out in front of you isn't it? LOL A telegraph pole did the same to me once luckily it did not cause terminal damage.  ;D

the only documentation ive gotten calls it a fairlady Z. as its a jap, thats her name. but that 2.8 litre engine makes her a 280z in the western world. werent they simply named after the engine? i believe that even within certain models, there are loads of changes, so an early 260 would be slightly diff from a late one, so im not hung up on the proper name, theyre all the same family to me, but im no purist....sorry folks!

heres the last car after it made contact with a tree

broke my right leg and f****d up both my knees. that was 2nd feb, still not 100% back. did climb a small mountain last week though. which was good, 2500 feet above sea level, oh yeah

Image034.jpg

Image032.jpg

Nice car mate! ( and the s15 was nice ! ) as for engines and stuff well no need to worry about that crap. That is for the anal minded.

In fact if you still have the engine from the s15 then put that in. Actually what mods are you going to do for it. It looks fairly modded at the moment. But if you are going to weld the front quarters into the bonnet so the whole front end is a flip front and blackout the rear light valance panel then you gotta tell us !  :P

@datsun-jay

you scared the shit outta me! thought something was up. thats her alright. what does stock mean(yes i can be thick)

i know theres a guy in japan that wants to take pics of her and put her in a magazine, maybe this is it?...

anyways, as far as i know, shes still mine.

oh yeah, i saw the forum on gtr.co.uk.

thats cool, the car sounds amazing!

tell miguel i appreciate the car (and the buzz its created) very much!

ive downloaded the pics already from the site, cant look at it enough!

I just noticed the 260Z/280Z style tailights. What is this car? It has S-31 on the papers, I think NZedder has spoken about these before? Not to start the argument again lol  :P

No argument - I will try and layout it out for you. The S31 is basically the same body as the later 260z 2 seater shell. ie taller rear strut towers, lower radiator support panel, raised floor on the passengers side (for a cat to be installed on some markets ie USA - remember the same floor pan was used on the 280z), longer and taller chassis rails, different front inner guards, different dash/console aka 260z style, non burst able door locks and therefore different shape to the door around the door strike/lock. And the 260z/280z style tail lights (well for the home market the S31 style tail lights  ;D)

Also all S31 left the factory with R180 diffs and L20E engines so the car should have the EFI style fuel tank too.

The car looks great and I love the pics on the UK GTR forum. You can see some of the S31/later shell items in these pics, ie the taller rear strut towers, twin hatch struts, the dash and console, tail lights just to name a few.

I am biased as I have one of these later shells but in the RS30 aka 260z format. I look at it this way Nissan changed things as the car evolved yes they are a heavier shell (has to be with the extra metal in them) but that should make them stronger = good for higher HP, however for a race car light weight is a better choice ie 240z aka HS30 or early Fairlady Z aka S30 shells are the better option.

In Japan you will find lots of Fairlady Z (S31 shells) with 240z/early Fairlady Z tail lights and G-Nose kits too. Usually this is due as the S31 cars in standard form are generally cheaper, but once you do them up, overfenders, L28, triples, etc the cost of the cars is up there if not almost the same a S30 shell with the same mods = it is the aftermarket work that add the value etc + old cars in Japan are going up in value all the time.