308 replies to this topic

#301 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

That is a DECENT feckin turbo too...

I think it just looks big in the photo  :)
It's the GT35R I was running on the L28.  I think I'm going to go for a split pulse 1.06 a/r housing on it now.

#302 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

That is still pretty big for a 3L straight 6, but it will hammer! 

#303 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:42 AM

The thread about lack of content made me realise how slack I've been.  Since my last update we've had a daughter and she's now over 2, which also has a bit to do with the lack of posts  :)

The engine is mounted, plumbed in and just awaiting wiring.

A mate (SBF Fabrications) modified a patrol sump for me to make it 6.5 litres with wings and a gate.  It was a bit of a battle to get enough volume in the sump with the engine sitting so low but I'm happy with what we came up with.  We have vented the sump to both the head and the catch can to try and relieve a lot of the oil issues RB's have on the track.  We also fitted a resticter in one oil feed and blocked off the other, and enlarged the oil returns as per the guidelines on the SAU forum.

I ordered a CRS gearbox mount and it was complete rubbish so we came up with our own desing which I'm much happier with.  It uses the strength in the tunnel where the original mounting points are rather than the flimsy floorpan and chassis rails that the CRS mount uses.  We also now have room for the exhaust which the CRS mount seems to neglect!

Funds were running short and we've never built an RB before or an engine for E85.  So we decided to do a throw together out of 2nd hand bits to see if everything works the way we think it will.  The bottom end uses the standard RB30 crank and rods with RB25 pistons and the block decked 30 thou to bring the pistons back up flush with the block.  This will give me a compression ratio of around 9.5:1 which is what I was after.  We threw in new bearings and rings to freshen it up a little.  The head is all standard RB26 with standard cams, freshened up with new valve guides, etc.

For the fuel system I've used a cheap E85 compatible lift pump, new larger hard lines and braided teflon lines everywhere else.  I've used a Magnaflow pressure pump and reg with ID1000 injectors in a Sard rail.

I've used my old GT35R turbo with a 1.00 a/r twin scroll housing on a cheap manifold just to get it going.  If it doesn't crack then I'll probably stick with it.  Using a Tial 60mm wastegate to make sure we don't have over boosting issues like we did with this turbo on the L28.

We have also replaced the drivers side chasis rail with one of Nato's (passenger side had already been done by a previous owner).  These are very well made and it made the job a lot easier than expected, a credit to his work.  We also added a dash bar into the cage and triangulated the strut brace as shown in the below pic.  We've aligned the mounting points for both the dash bar and the strut brace with the gussets that run from the inner firewall to the outer firewall.  This should stiffen it up nicely.

Have also fitted a set of ZCar63's adjustable rear arms.  These are very well engineered and it will be great to fix the uneven rear tow.

I've got someone lined up to do the wiring in a few weeks time so it shouldn't be long until it's going again.  We have another bub due towards the end of the year so it might still be a while before I do an event with it.

So there is 3+ years of posts shoved into a few paragraphs.  I'll try to keep the updates a little more regular for now on!

Attached Thumbnails

• 46173_f195a8c8b1685ecc0951248874bd855e1fd88bf1.jpg

#304 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Nice work mate. Have you though about an oil accumulator to give you a bit more volume. I think my motor is holds around 8 liters with the accumulator. I also have an extra external oil drain at the back of the head.

#305 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 23 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

Good to hear from you again mate, can't imagine how busy a parent makes someone. I'm exhausted as it is and I only have a dog to worry about.

#306 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

Nice work mate. Have you though about an oil accumulator to give you a bit more volume. I think my motor is holds around 8 liters with the accumulator. I also have an extra external oil drain at the back of the head.

Hi Mick,

I hadn't thought of an oil accumulator.  I reckon I'll just see how it goes for a start, hopefully 6.5L should be enough, the old L28 survived a lot of racing with only 4L!  I'll probably log the oil pressure the first few times I take it out and see how it looks, might be an option if it looks like the pressure is dropping off anywhere, thanks.

I've also got the rear drain/vent.  It's funny how Nissan built the L series with a crank case vent but decided it wasn't necessary on the RB.

#307 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:28 AM

Good to hear from you again mate, can't imagine how busy a parent makes someone. I'm exhausted as it is and I only have a dog to worry about.

Thanks Gav, it's a lot of work but all worthwhile  :)  My wife has been doing her masters of teaching at the same time so it's been a very busy household.  Her last exam is in a weeks time so I'm looking forward to having a bit more spare time.........A least until no. 2 arrives later in the year!

#308 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:55 PM

I had the car up on the hoist last night so I took a pic of the gearbox mount as I thought it may be of interest to some people doing RB conversions.  It uses the strength in the tunnel where the original mounting points were so hopefully it should be up to the job.  And, unlike the CRS kit, it leaves room for an exhaust!

Attached Thumbnails

• 47829_c3c1cf63444c93c85e1ccd0f4c61089122b9d477.jpg

#309 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hey Scando.
Just read through your build again, your car has had some great develop over the years. Are you any closer to getting it on the track with the RB goodness? Or is tinlid 3 on the way?
I'm looking forward to an update, it's gonna be a weapon. :)

Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users