• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Tagline:I wanna bring to many cars back to life.

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

G'day.
My Name is Angelus and I have recently purchased a 280zx 2+2. i know its not the desired car of most z lovers but as soon as I saw it sitting there waiting to be crushed i knew i had to save it. $250 Later and it was sitting on my drive way blocking up the entry to the workshop. Before i saved it however I had already caused it pain. In a small Accident i destroyed the passenger front guard.

So it ran with the help of a jumper pack to get it started. We had it running for a while just putting along on the drive and i noticed a water leak. Not able to source the leak through all the injection and manifolds I shut the car down.

It was as I walked back around the car I realized I there was a bubbling sounds. Slightly confused at this because it hadent run enough to be warm i investigated some more. Opening the radiator cap was a release of pressure and a distinked smell of fuel.

So she has a blown head gasket i thought and started stripping it all down. On the strip down i noticed how small the throttle body is on this engine and how small the manifold and ports were. I also noticed the bolts in the manifold. To prevent them from entering the manifold they extruded into the manifold causing more restriction.

As i pulled the head off i had a head bolt that seemed quite adimate at staying there. so i left it  and then came back to it. this time is seemed to mover very easly. mainly dew to the fact it snapped about an inch down.

So i pulled the head off and what was left of the head gasket. Checked the bores and the pistons. Not even ring marked i wondered what had happened to this engine. The pistons clean I have to wonder if it has been rebuilt. the head gasket steam cleaned them or its had a good life.

So with waiting for the arival of the new multi metal head gasket. And the interest of the new turbo to bolt up. i started the head work. taking a cracked head i did some work to see how it would come up. the impression was good. so work started on the head.
after the destruction of a tool and a lot of work the head is almost there. Things are starting to take shape and lots of other thoughts are running through my head. (sometimes this can be constructive and distructive at the same time.)

The manifold.
At this point there is no new manifold just the old one. But i dont want the old one to be the one. there is a lot of work and I cant see the gains. so i am in the drawing process of redesigning my own one. Yes i am aware there are a few out there but as a fitter and turner welder i wanna have some fun and come up with something.

The turbo.
the turbo seems to be an original turbo and it will do as far as i can see ahead. but it is old and as so i am gonna take some precaustions. turbo timer and heat scensor. oil cooler wouldnt go astray eather.

the exhaust.
at the moment the exhaust is a single 2.5". it looks like it was made out of spare parts. the aim with with is to make a duel system mendrel bent and tig welded. but quiet so that my kid can be in it and so that no one expects it.

the body.
the aim is to have it a sleeper so doesnt look that great but decent to drive. however it will be taken off the road later to be delt with. But knowing me this will be to mod the body even more. lol

#2 modular9

modular9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

Brilliant ... saved from the jaws of a crusher.

What will be great is when the car is finished completely and people are all wowing and ooh and aahing around the car you can say it was a 250 dollar saved from the crusher.

Good luck with your build .. very jealous of your turbo. And pics! we demand Pics!

#3 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

Agreed, pics are needed :D

#4 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

Hey all. Pics have arrived and here they are for your viewing pleasure. lol now you can see how bad it is. Note the passenger guard. This is what happens to your guard when someone tries to nick your mag and you drive down the road without knowing. If Anyone knows what these mags are or has 2 that they dont need i wouldnt mind another 2 or 4.

#5 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:20 PM

Evening all. Todays experiment started with the removal of the l28 from the car. Gearbox was removed and an experiment was placed into action. A few years back I took on my parents old bluebird. It had done 300000km and was starting to play up. We strapped a turbo to it and started to have fun. After some time we decided to pull the engine out and swap it. So we did the end result was a twisted chassis.
Knowing well what we put this car through I pulled out the gearbox i got before the engine died. It has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years and I almost used it a few times for stupid things.
Wonder got to me though and so after pulling the engine out I went and scrumaged through some of the stuff in my workshop and pulled the gearbox out. Carried it over and mated it to the back of the l28. it seems to be a perfect fit.
the next step it to get under the car and find out how well it all bolts up but so far it is looking good and with many of these boxes in wreckers who cant find anyone to give them too we may have an easy prospect on our hands.
The real test will be an l28set pushing power through it and seeing how it stands up. Tomorrow if I get the chance I will also see how well the box mounts under the dash. Perhaps there is a good use for bluebirds.
More to come when I get the time.

#6 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

hmm funny how you find others who have already done this after you do something. well at least i know it works. lol

#7 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

Due to a breakdown with another car (my daily driver) the z is off to the side of the workshop for a little while. it shall soon return.

#8 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

hmm found most of the garage floor in my workshop. lots of sanding welding and putting and sanding and cutting and welding and putting of other peoples cars. now i can start having fun with one project. still gotta find the floor through all the aluminium shavings around the milling machine. lots of work going on on that tool.

#9 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

OK so i had the cops called the otherday by a a neighbor complaning i was being to loud for 6:30 on a thursday night. I dont know who. On one side my mate was beating out the pannels on someones car (pannel beater). on the other side the kid was working on his motorbike. next to him was a guy building his rally car. across the road there were several teans experimenting with there cars. Personally i think that i was the quiet one. but the cops turned up told me to quieten it up for the night because there was a complant about my place. so the guys from around the street all came out we had an agument with the cops so the cops told me to pack it up for the night. so i turned the mill and everything in the garage off and as i walked out i could here all the others working on there cars. so pissed off i went inside to my drawing board and sat down to take out my anger with some new tools a friend that manages an art store put me on to. this is the product.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3942_.jpg
  • 3938_.jpg
  • 3936_.jpg

#10 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

Faark, you idn't tell me bout that one, what a wanker.  It's gonna look the goods though.

#11 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:59 AM

Faark, you idn't tell me bout that one, what a wanker.  It's gonna look the goods though.

what you talking about willis. I showed you that drawing. now i cant wait for it to be done lol.

#12 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

:P I'm talking about your neibour being the wanker for causing shit.

#13 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

oh yeah. well i dunno who called them because the guys around me that were working all came out and defended me so unless it was someone over the back fence. but with the size of my place by the back fence you wouldnt hear much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users