Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

HI
Problem here in SA is there is only a couple of spots you can get it and
have confidence that its the octane they say it is.
I would run it in my RB26 Z but cant be bothered going to get it in Jerry cans.

I must admit when you are trackside or at the top of the hill climb waiting to come
back down and an E85 car blasts past and you get that sweet sweet smell it almost
makes me want to change.

Paul

#22 Agno

Agno

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

after 2 years in one car we have been racing id say you can keep it for the turbo cars , in NA cars there is better ways to go and is there a big advantage running more comp , no not really , 10.5 -11 is more than anuff  , E85 in NA cars has no advantage as it burns to slow , sorry i should say there is no addvantage in a L motor , i did a test a bit back where a tuned a car with E85 and made 180kw then removed the comp with new pistons and went from 12.3 to 10.6 and ran 98 fuel guess what it made 185kw  ... like i said 2 years ago its not for carbs , on a L motor

Interesting, I was toying with the idea of going E85 once I eventually go to a new engine and injection. So are you saying even with injection on an NA L-motor it's a waste of time?

I have a few (much faster turbocharged) friends that use the Haltech or GM flex-fuel sensors coupled with a couple of base maps on their fancy ECUs allowing for any percentage of ethanol mixture from E0 (no ethanol) to E85. For anyone interested:

http://www.skylinesa...equered-tuning/

#23 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

yep wast of time and money no hp in it for NA cars we have made far more power on pump 98

#24 jamo240

jamo240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

The other thing the Nizpro team advises is that engines running on E85 run noticeably cooler than on 98.

I tend to agree with Peter Mc on the NA vs turbo question...turbo cars have the advantage of being able to get extra air in the cylinders, but run into knock problems moreso than NA engines, hence they benefit more from the octane rating of E85 while overcoming the calorific disadvantage. In the same way NA sprint car engines are built very specifically to benefit from running on methanol, you would need to build a very specific NA L series to benefit from E85. Pete has the experience here though, as I haven't messed around with it on NA engines. For turbos however, it can be of benefit without changing the engine mechanical configuration except for a re-tune to deal with the stoich ratio issues.

CHeers

Jamo

#25 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

For shore the best turbo fuel , for the price its great , and yes its a cool running fuel, even in NA cars . But there are down sides as well , because there is so much water in it it can cause problems with oil turning to mud , you need to have good breathers on your engine and make shore you don't do a lot of cold starts and short trips , if the oil does not get hot it will build up water and will cause problems , but bang for buck best turbo fuel around , just not so on NA cars

#26 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

For shore the best turbo fuel , for the price its great , and yes its a cool running fuel, even in NA cars . But there are down sides as well , because there is so much water in it it can cause problems with oil turning to mud , you need to have good breathers on your engine and make shore you don't do a lot of cold starts and short trips , if the oil does not get hot it will build up water and will cause problems , but bang for buck best turbo fuel around , just not so on NA cars

E85 is perfect for a turbo rotary, especially running high boost. Many guys with big HP rotary's are also using water injection so I guess the extra water wouldn't be an issue.

Does the water content in E85 help with carbon build up or prevention of I should say?

#27 peter mc

peter mc

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

yes the inside of the chamber is very clean , as is the rest of the engine no carbon build up

#28 Thomo260

Thomo260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks Pete, I think I will stick with the 98 and not even bother with the 100 (98+10%Eth). Will just have to listen for any signs of a 'ping'.
Having only ever ran on Avgas which is between 100lean to 130rich it shouldn't worry it too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users