Photo

Auszcar affiliation with NDSOC? Your say?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hi Guys,

As some of you may have noticed we have recently had questions raised in regards to driving on CH plates in organised Auszcar events. Our events are currently not sanctioned by the NDSOC, although I think most members that hold CH plates on this forum are typically NDSOC members. This means that the people driving on the plates can only use the car on NDSOC sanctioned events. 

As we might have an opportunity to get the site affilated with the NDSOC we would like to ask what you think of this move. I feel this move is not about getting other datsun models involved in Auzcar as has been discussed in the past but rather to include CH plated owners and possibly attract more Z's from the NDSOC. I expect the site would not be changed in any way in terms of current format or general member base. We would advertise cruises in the NDSOC magazine and have cruises sanctioned by the NDSOC.

If there is adequate ineterst I suspect the next move would entail us providing a proposal to the NDSOC with an outline on a calendar of our typical planned events amongst other points.  Although at this time it is really more a question that affects Victorian members as NDSOC tends to be based here it can also affect other states. It could also be beneficial to state wide members regarding events they would like to organise via this site on CH plates. The Prince Register currently operates in the same manner.

Please advise your thoughts.

Sulio   

#2 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:47 PM

i think being the "s30" body of NDSOC sounds like a good idea to me, as previously stated there is a large overlap, and this would probably help NDSOC gain members from those who are not already members.

It does not directly effect alot of people here though however as we aren't tightass's so pay full registration (or none at all which is possibily the case for alot of us too!). I would be interested in getting CH plates on my car when it is ready to go back on the road, so would be interested in such a setup as i currently dont know much about the legal issues, i'm just hoping the 90 days of travel thing has come in by then?

i guess the NCCA would be another option to set up something similiar with?

#3 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:16 AM

Are you saying everyone on here will have to be a member of NDSOC or optional?  It wouldn't make any sense if that were the case.  Other states wont get anything out of it. 
I also wasn't very impressed with the arrogant attitude of some of their members whilst I was a member.
But, if its not a case of having to be a member, then im all for it if it brings more people to this site (hopefully not the arrogant ones :D).

#4 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

I think there are a lot of benefits to be gained from both sides both NDSOC and the Z Car Club. Mostly for those with CH Plates. It seems to be a timely subject and we should discuss it at the Jag Club meeting in July before making any formal application. Maybe draft up your letter in the mean time Sulio in readyness presuming no major objections at the 17/7/08 meeting. I am not sure how this might impact on our Interstate members.

#5 XRQTR

XRQTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:41 AM

I would have thought that by simply gazetting any event in the NDSOC newsletter as a "Z Affair", Z Affair being a joint NDSOC/AusZcar event for mainly Z cars, perhaps should be enough to make it an official event. As most memebers as you say are already NDSOC members with the CH plates then they would be covered by this rule of an official event, there really isn't a need to become affiliated.

You would really need to have them outline all and any demands and expectations that they might have with regard to any affiliation and table them to this club for a discussion and perhaps a vote.

As I said most CH plated AusZcar members are already NDSOC members so they should be able to gazette events in the newsletter as a joint event, thereby making them sanctioned NDSOC events. Check it out, I could be wrong but might be worth looking into.

2.2 cents (inc gst)

#6 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

This affiliation will help those member wishing to race their zed also. To compete in a MSCA event, you must be a member of a club with CAMS affiliation. For me personaly it will help; I'm on the club permit plate scheme..Auszcar members will have a choice whether to join the NDSOC or not. If you are on CH plates and want to race or not, or just want CH reg for your car.

#7 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

Are you saying everyone on here will have to be a member of NDSOC or optional?  It wouldn't make any sense if that were the case.  Other states wont get anything out of it.  

No Scott, this really would not change anything in regards to all other existing Auszcar members and certainly by no means would anybody need to join the NDSOC unless they wanted to for whatever reasons they might have.

I think there are a lot of benefits to be gained from both sides both NDSOC and the Z Car Club. Mostly for those with CH Plates. It seems to be a timely subject and we should discuss it at the Jag Club meeting in July before making any formal application. Maybe draft up your letter in the mean time Sulio in readyness presuming no major objections at the 17/7/08 meeting. I am not sure how this might impact on our Interstate members.

Well it's got me thinking how many more Z owners we have that don't make it to our events like cruises due to the issue of CH plates!? I'll make some steps in regards to the letter. I don't think there would be any impact on interstate members. I'm not sure if the NDSOC has the power to grant CH plates to other states, if it does then it might help our members in other states also.

I would have thought that by simply gazetting any event in the NDSOC newsletter as a "Z Affair", Z Affair being a joint NDSOC/AusZcar event for mainly Z cars, perhaps should be enough to make it an official event.

No, you have thought wrong. Unfortunately it currently does'nt work that way and I believe there would be some red tape to get passed and this is the reason for this thread.

As most members as you say are already NDSOC members with the CH plates then they would be covered by this rule of an official event, there really isn't a need to become affiliated.

You have misread the initial post, I did'nt say "most members as you say are already NDSOC members with the CH plates". I said "most members that hold CH plates on this forum are typically NDSOC members".

You would really need to have them outline all and any demands and expectations that they might have with regard to any affiliation and table them to this club for a discussion and perhaps a vote.

Good point, I will talk to Alan Fields in regards to what we would need to do on an ongoing basis apart from providing NDSOC with calendar dates for our events?
I know there have been a quite a few members asking questions about running their cars on CH plates recently. I'm sure as petrol prices go up and home loan rates go up many are feeling the crunch and might find it hard to justify a 2nd, 3rd or 4th full registration at over $500.00 so this is becoming a bigger concern as many tighten their belts and rationalise their play things. Especially those members that are lucky enough to have 2 or 3 Z's in the garage.

Sulio

I really hope we get a strong input from members that I regularily see at our events and those that would like to but are limited due to CH plates as this is really the cross section of members that this concerns most and of course everyone should feel free to express their concerns. For the most part members outside of Vic should not really find that there is much if any changes to the site as far as it's electronic format is concerned.

#8 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

This affiliation will help those member wishing to race their zed also. To compete in a MSCA event, you must be a member of a club with CAMS affiliation. For me personaly it will help; I'm on the club permit plate scheme..Auszcar members will have a choice whether to join the NDSOC or not. If you are on CH plates and want to race or not, or just want CH reg for your car.

Correct Dimitri, I have been following the NDSOC Club Classic in the monthly NDSOC mag. And it's good to see what sort of times some of the Auszcar Z are doing on various tracks around the state. It's great to discuss what sort of figures people are dynoing in their Z's but always good to see how that translates onto the track re power and driver skill in terms of track time's. I persoanlly would like to see those times tabled on the site and updated monthly but that is another topic for another time.

Sulio

#9 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

Guys

Dimitri is spot on.

An NDSOC affiliation will benefit the Viczcar members in that they will be eligible to obtain CAMS and AASA licenses for track events (not only MSCA but any other CAMS affiliated car club), they will also have the benefit of the permit plate scheme and receive the monthly magazine. Affiliation will also entitle members to club trophies for various events and have an open invition to all NDSOC events (e.g Sth Bank Concourse, social events, tarmac rallies etc), affiliation will also entail abiding by the NDSOC constitution.

What the NDSOC will be looking for in return is to boost its active membership base for early Zeds and given that this was the foundation of the club through the 70s and 80s I believe it to be a positive move. Many clubs operate successfully with "chapters" for various marques, the Prince boys a great example, they have not lost their identity and still operate as a separate entity however they enjoy all the benefits of the NDSOC and the NDSOC benifits in return. The NDSOC have also been approached by the Datsun Sports Roadster Club with the view of affiliation.
I would guess that the NDSOC commitee would ask that a minimum number of Viczcar members join the NDSOC (obviously Vic only) to secure the affiliation.

This could be addressed in your proposal to the NDSOC (if you wish to go forward with this)...whilst I certainly support the proposal it will be up to the NDSOC committee to say yea or nay and set the ground rules ......I'll leave it up to you guys to discuss the pros and cons.

In response to XRQTR

I realy don't believe that the NDSOC could be expected to advertise another club or association's events without some form of formal affiliation, as the NDSOC is held responsible for those events and the actions of those who enter/compete.

Cheers

Alan
Permit Plate Secretary
NDSOC

#10 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well sounds the goods then.  Oh Sulio, my name is Scott, not Chris :D  He is the other guy with a silver Z up here :D

#11 dalee

dalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Tagline:The Z Shed

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi all

I would be in favor of an affiliation with the NDSOC, I have held a membership with them for 4-5 years now, and been floating around on these boards since before I attended that first meet at Ash’s workshop in 2004. 

I believe that both clubs have a lot in common and share many of the same hopes for promoting/enjoying the S30 model.  An affiliation with the NDSOC could potentially provide positive benefits for our club as well as the NDSOC. 

I would like to invite all those members who wish to discuss this matter to attend the July meeting at the Jag club rooms, were we are hoping to have more of the details on this proposal available for discussion. 

As Alan Fields (260Coupe) has mentioned in a previous post NDSOC would like to know how many members on this forum are presently NDSOC members.  Could all NDSOC members please send me a PM so we can begin to get some idea as to the numbers of dual memberships at present. 

Also, if any AustZed members are considering NDSOC membership in the future, please send me a PM.

Dale

#12 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yer I think it would be a great idea (other than starting our own cams club:)

I just hope things have changed from the my early zed days when they wouldnt  let my car run at the sprints cause it had Slicks!!!!!

Ash

#13 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Ash
In defence of the NDSOC......
If you  are referring to the Sandown track days, that was not an NDSOC decision, it would have been stipulated in the sup regs as directed by Sandown (VACC) and the CAMS permit. Most Sandown track days (Super Sprints) are still only open to road reg cars, 75 db with slicks not permitted.

But let's not digress ::)

Alan

#14 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Sound like a great idea to me so far I can not see any down side to this. And to be total honest I would rather donate  fund to AUSZCAR direct rather than to NDSOC so a to go on to CH plates.
My 1 cent.
regards
Bruce      

#15 zr240

zr240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

Ow ok. I wish that was explained to me then :) thought they were just being difficult!

bring on the affiliation :)

Ash

P.S better join the club then

#16 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:19 PM

Riiiiiight... Just to voice my opinion;

I have no real issues with becoming affiliated with the NDSOC on the face of the idea (apart from some minor things that may need to be addressed when the proposal is being tabled),
BUT a certain part of the NDSOC guidelines/constitution has me more than a little irate...

If an event was to be run under the AusZcar banner - & backed by the NDSOC -  who has the responsibility of enforcing the driving standards rule? Are we obliged to comply with it seeing as we may become a 'satellite' group?
I'm not terribly interested in being told how to drive MY CAR on the road, on a club event, by someone other than the 'Traffic Wombles' (Police).

Also, Event's such as 'Tassie' would therefore come under scrutiny (if it was run under AusZcar/NDSOC), which I believe is in direct violation of the spirit of the event.

We are all adults here, so why can't we make the choice?

#17 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

I think Lurch, if everyone on say for the Tassie cruise were on CH plates, then we will have to abide by the "NDSOC code of conduct" on the public roads. But I think most members of the AusZcar club are on full reg so then you can drive at 180kph avg speed and run old grannies off the road! I think this mainly affects cars on the CH plate scheme....Like me! If and when I can put my car on full reg I will....I don't really like the limitations of the CH plates...Just the matter of the $$$ for now..

#18 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:07 PM

I would rather work 2 part time jobs to pay for full rego rather than CH plates ! I drive my car when "I" want to drive it...
There are more carclubs in the ACT per Capita than any other state, Ive seen so much bickering between ACT clubs when they try to afiliate and grown men argue over who has the right to the CAMS piece of paper & who pays for insurances etc..
my 5 cents worth. :-X

#19 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:25 PM

I think you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!
I am a member of the NDSOC (but live in QLD) this web site is also unique to S30 & S130 owners and its succes is due the specific chapter of genre and a great bunch of guys & gals that participate in communication!

The problem I see is the datsun/nissan car clubs around Australia do not have chapters of vehicles with a specific club secretary or head reporting on or submitting data to the parent club and/or magazine by way of the members vehicles by marque and the large numbers of cars that earn a chapter? So club membership can either fade away or a break away club emerges! (Perhaps this is why Auszcar has evolved & been so successful?)

The NDSOC invites all Datsun/Nissan owners which is good eticate but if your specific interest is S15 or Z31 or GTR there is no responsible person working and massaging that group of interested membership and participation.

The NDSOC have had success in amalgamating the Prince Skyline GT Register as a chapter and it has worked very well. IMO, part of the action but still separate and individual.

If all Nissan/Datsun interest (in VIC) was persuaded to run under the one parent body like the NDSOC it is the economies of scale and reporting that work for its members it is just a matter of how it is administered and with no-one's ego being lost in this good cause of discussion.

In QLD they have the Z Car Club of Queensland and at any function as a bystander I have been to the club is dominated by S30 vehicles which is fine but if you are an S15 or GTR it is immediately lost in it cause purely by the clubs name and this limits the club in size and income to build a club with large membership like the NDSOC but nothing is perfect not even the NDSOC. Car Clubs need to let a new younger generation of thinking enter into committees to change/modify/improve the persona and direction for at least the next 10 years and involve its members to have a say or a brain storm, old ways become stale and repetitive and any club needs a new lease of spirit and life and lots of effervescence, amalgamations of the Nissan/Datsun marque are one way of doing just that. My 2 cents worth Lynton  8)

#20 matt drago

matt drago

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

I was previously a member of NDSOC, but after a few years, decided not to continue on with my membership (family member with my wife).  The reason that I left was that the only way that I got information from the club was by way of the mag (work constraints meant I could not make it to the meetings).  But, the mag kept on being delivered later and later and events posted in the mag (that I could have made) had come and gone by the time that I got the mag.  I know that this is a small issue, but, I didn't like it.

Since my car is on full reg (and I intend to keep the original plates on the car), I do not need to be affiliated with a club to be able to drive my car.  I hope that if AusZCar becomes affiliated, that I do not have to re-join NDSOC to be able to come to the events (especially considering that my car is nearing the point that I can actually take it out on the road and enjoy her).

In one way or another, I have been involved with car clubs from a young age (Dad was president of a club for a while) and the one thing that I learnt is that clubs always come with politics.  The one thing that I have really enjoyed with AusZCar (and VicZCar as it was formerly known) was that it was just a group of guys/gals getting together to have a chat about a passion.  I hope that the affiliation does not cause that to change.

If the group considers that affiliation is going to bring them benefits (i.e. CH plate owners and those  that want to get out on the track), I'm behind it all the way, so long as it doesn't affect the ability for me to be involved with AusZCar and not be a member of NDSOC.  Also, as I would not be a member of the NDSOC, I do not see any reason as to why I would have to conform to the NDSOC 's constitution.

One other thing that I would like to add.  Gav, Sulio and a few others here do a great job of keeping the AusZCar spirit going (by maintaining this site, organising events and the like).  I would rather give a cash contribution to the maintenance of this site and for the benefit of AusZCar than to the NDSOC.  As an affiliate of NDSOC, what would AsuZCar get back in the way of financial support if NDSOC expect a percentage of AusZCar members to become NDSOC members?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users