Hmmmmm Ham  ;D

#22 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'm keen for the trip, hoping to have car back on road by then, actually would like to attend meeting to meet you guy's.

John

#23 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

Updated list:

1. Toecutter, (Sulio)
2. ZZZ8, (Craig)
3. Dalee, (Dale)
4. Matt Freeman
5. Mayham, (Ben)
6. Scoota, (Mark)
7. LC260z, (Lui)
8. ReverendZ, (David)
9. zedls1, (John)

See you at the meeting John!

Sulio

#24 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

Will be touch and go to have car back by the 26th for the trip, fingers crossed.

John

#25 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hi Guys,

Just a little bit of a recap and update as the date is nearing.

This cruise is to take us from Melbourne through to Lorne to Apollo Bay via the very scenic Great Ocean Road.
Saturday night we plan to enjoy dinner and drinks and stay overnight in Apollo Bay, making our way back to Melbourne on Sunday morning. Of course if you don’t have the luxury of the entire weekend to devote to your Z, you can make it a day trip.

Just an outline of the current plan below:
10:30am to 12:00 - Melbourne to Bells Beach approx 100km (1 hour 20 minutes), 30 min stop to stretch the legs and maybe walk on beach
12:30pm to 1:00pm - Bells Beach to Lorne, approx 25km  (30 minutes), 1 hour stop for lunch
2:00pm to 3:00pm - Lorne to Appollo Bay approx 50km  (40 minutes depending on traffic)
3:00pm  Check in. For those that are staying the night check in to Apollo Bay accomodation, if weather is good go for a spin out to Lavers Hill and be back in time for drinks and dinner.

As last year I will send out meeting spots, maps etc about 1 week before the cruise. You will only recieve the map etc if you have indicated you will be coming. The current list as it stands below.

1. Toecutter, (Sulio).....booked to stay at the Butter Factory Apartments
2. ZZZ8, (Craig).....booked to stay at the Butter Factory Apartments
3. Dalee, (Dale).....booked to stay at the Butter Factory Apartments
4. Matt Freeman.....booked to stay at the Butter Factory Apartments
5. Mayham, (Ben)
6. Scoota, (Mark)
7. LC260z, (Lui)
8. ReverendZ, (David)
9. zedls1, (John)
10. Darren House
11. Biggelz, (Richard)
12. Ol_sk_Z, (Sach)

As with last year to keep things simple everyone is expected to organise their own accomodation if they plan to stay the night. There are quite a few places to stay and I have already booked The Butter Factory Apartments for four of us. These are three bedroom, 4 star accomodation with double lock up garages. We used them last year. Very big and nicely decked out over 3 levels with great Ocean views and basicallly in the heart of Apollo Bay close to the pub. $350.00 for one night, so not so bad when split between 4 or 5 people as they can sleep 5 with some rooms having two single beds.

If you like you give me a heads up if you plan to stay the night and I'll put you in touch with someody to share a room with so you can organise details between you guys.

I'll make note of the phone number at a later time as it's too cold to go out to the car to get it!  :)

Just a reminder regarding CB radio's. It does make it a whole lot more fun when you can communicate with each other and always helps on the safety front to keep everyone informed of road conditions up ahead. I use a 40 channel UHF hand held 5 Watt radio. The 2 Watters are OK if you just plan to listen but it's ideal to have a 5 Watter. I can't recommend strongly enough on how helpful they can be. If your buying one be careful as the 1 watters and below are almost like kids toys lacking power.

Sulio

Fingers crossed for the weather!

Posted Image

#26 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:05 AM

Sulio

If you are looking for some great roads on the way back (with no 80km speed limit like the G.O.R so you can stretch your legs a little  ;)) with very little traffic you may wish to try the route via Skenes Creek and Forrest.
Head out of Apollo Bay back toward Melb. and turn left at Skenes Creek

(see attached map)

Al.

Attached Files

#27 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:25 AM

I went home that way last year and found the road had a lot of tight corners. Alright in the summer but I think it will be damp in July. Just on from there (marked in dotted red) I got done by the cops last year, same trip. Long straight stretches of road on from there and temptation got the better of me.  :-\
I guess we can decide on the day.

#28 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

Hmmm good point.........the back roads and their straight stretches can be very tempting to bury your welly into the axminster

We came back that way a few months back and the road thru the hills had been resurfaced and it was sensational but if it's wet it could be a bit dicy if you get a little over exuberant.

#29 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Hi Guys,

Yer I've gone down that Skenes Creek road before on a work trips with my Falcon and I've always wanted to hit it with the Z. The weather will be a determining factor I suppose. Somebody told me they were down the GOR just after the windy days a few weeks ago and the bark that had blown off the trees made the road deadly.  :o

Well lets just wait and see how the weather pans out.

Sulio

#30 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:15 PM

Finger crossed for good weather... but the forcasts arent looking too good >:( but who believes the weather man and after all we are in Melbourne

#31 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Well, looks like I won't have the Z back for the cruise, dammmm.

John

#32 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

No Good John,

Well it looks like we will get a nice winter day for cruising in the old Z's, (anything above 20 deg can get stuffy in a Z I reckon!)

Weather report for Saturday:

Saturday:
Morning  Mostly Sunny. Cool. 8 km/h, N - 61% 9
Afternoon  Mostly Sunny. Cool. 6 km/h, N - 85% 14
Evening  Passing Clouds. Cool. 7 km/h, N - 87% 10
Overnight  Passing Clouds. Cool. 8 km/h, N - 82% 5

http://www.weather.c...bourne/detailed

See you there!

Sulio

Remember UHF radios if you 've got em and anybody with a mini DV camera can give me the tapes afterwould and I'll try and put a little clip together of the day.

#33 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

how was the weekend? any pics??? :)

#34 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Report. REPORT!!!

Someone post up how it went, PLEASE!?

#35 Scoota G

Scoota G

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,213 posts
  • Tagline:Mark

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

I got really pissed and vomited but other than that it all went swell  :P

#36 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:26 PM

HAHAHAHA!

Sounds like a typical AusZcar event!

#37 FuzzyDropbear

FuzzyDropbear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

I got really pissed....

LOL! Why doesn't that really surprise me mate? :D

Can't wait for the pics to start flooding in.  :)

#38 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:45 PM

Starting to wish I lived further down south, can't wait to hear all about it!

#39 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

Hi Guys,

I had a really good time. Having installed the triples, a half cage, 4 point harness's and lowered the seats in the cabin I found the Z a pleasure to drive. Bigger brakes still waiting and some adjsutable shocks due next but very happy with the power and the nice note from the tripples. Economy was surprisingly good, especially on the trip back.
Having a nice dry run on the twisty's of the Great Ocean Road into Lorne is always good. We stopped there for lunch and got back into our cars for the final leg from Lorne to Apollo Bay and we did get some rain along the way but still a great road to drive. We had a nice dinner at the local pub followed by many beers at the bar and around the pool table. As last year the accomodation was very spacious three storey townhouse with awesome ocean views and a massive living area, very plushly decked out.
Breaky in the morning and after some Top Gear (season 11), the fellas made there way home. Unfortunately it was a little overcast and it did start to rain. I stayed an extra night with the second half coming down Sunday for lunch and weenjoyed a very sunny and warm Monday which meant a dry and run back for me. I headed home about 4:30pm and what a drive that was! The sun was out and seeing it was Monday there was no traffic. I had a clear run from Apollo Bay to Lorne, not one car going in my direction! Thats about 55km of one of the best roads in Victoria. Man was it a nice drive, felt like a Top Gear episode. Not that I was pushing it too hard but just that it was a clear run changing gears only to slow down for sharp bends and not for slow buses. I did have the Mrs following some distance behind seeing she had come up in my VW Jetta so I did my best to behave. As on the previous day alot of my video camera footage was in the wet I decided to load a fresh tape into the mini DV and let it run the coarse of AB to Lorne with some dodgy commentry along the way so I'll try and do soemthing with it.
Well I do have some pics and video but it's late so it will need to wait for abit but some of the other fellas did have cameras so they could well post pics before i get these up.

Sulio

#40 XRQTR

XRQTR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

So how many cars turned out for this??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users