Sign in to follow this  
Toecutter

Apollo Bay Overnight Cruise, Sat 26 & Sun 27 July 2008

Sulio

If you are looking for some great roads on the way back (with no 80km speed limit like the G.O.R so you can stretch your legs a little  ;)) with very little traffic you may wish to try the route via Skenes Creek and Forrest.

Head out of Apollo Bay back toward Melb. and turn left at Skenes Creek

(see attached map)

Al.

3152_.pdf

I went home that way last year and found the road had a lot of tight corners. Alright in the summer but I think it will be damp in July. Just on from there (marked in dotted red) I got done by the cops last year, same trip. Long straight stretches of road on from there and temptation got the better of me.  :-\

I guess we can decide on the day.

Hmmm good point.........the back roads and their straight stretches can be very tempting to bury your welly into the axminster

We came back that way a few months back and the road thru the hills had been resurfaced and it was sensational but if it's wet it could be a bit dicy if you get a little over exuberant.

Hi Guys,

Yer I've gone down that Skenes Creek road before on a work trips with my Falcon and I've always wanted to hit it with the Z. The weather will be a determining factor I suppose. Somebody told me they were down the GOR just after the windy days a few weeks ago and the bark that had blown off the trees made the road deadly.  :o

Well lets just wait and see how the weather pans out.

Sulio

Finger crossed for good weather... but the forcasts arent looking too good >:( but who believes the weather man and after all we are in Melbourne

No Good John,

Well it looks like we will get a nice winter day for cruising in the old Z's, (anything above 20 deg can get stuffy in a Z I reckon!)

Weather report for Saturday:

Saturday:

Morning  Mostly Sunny. Cool. 8 km/h, N - 61% 9

Afternoon  Mostly Sunny. Cool. 6 km/h, N - 85% 14

Evening  Passing Clouds. Cool. 7 km/h, N - 87% 10

Overnight  Passing Clouds. Cool. 8 km/h, N - 82% 5

http://www.weather.com.au/vic/melbourne/detailed

See you there!

Sulio

Remember UHF radios if you 've got em and anybody with a mini DV camera can give me the tapes afterwould and I'll try and put a little clip together of the day.

Hi Guys,

I had a really good time. Having installed the triples, a half cage, 4 point harness's and lowered the seats in the cabin I found the Z a pleasure to drive. Bigger brakes still waiting and some adjsutable shocks due next but very happy with the power and the nice note from the tripples. Economy was surprisingly good, especially on the trip back.

Having a nice dry run on the twisty's of the Great Ocean Road into Lorne is always good. We stopped there for lunch and got back into our cars for the final leg from Lorne to Apollo Bay and we did get some rain along the way but still a great road to drive. We had a nice dinner at the local pub followed by many beers at the bar and around the pool table. As last year the accomodation was very spacious three storey townhouse with awesome ocean views and a massive living area, very plushly decked out.

Breaky in the morning and after some Top Gear (season 11), the fellas made there way home. Unfortunately it was a little overcast and it did start to rain. I stayed an extra night with the second half coming down Sunday for lunch and weenjoyed a very sunny and warm Monday which meant a dry and run back for me. I headed home about 4:30pm and what a drive that was! The sun was out and seeing it was Monday there was no traffic. I had a clear run from Apollo Bay to Lorne, not one car going in my direction! Thats about 55km of one of the best roads in Victoria. Man was it a nice drive, felt like a Top Gear episode. Not that I was pushing it too hard but just that it was a clear run changing gears only to slow down for sharp bends and not for slow buses. I did have the Mrs following some distance behind seeing she had come up in my VW Jetta so I did my best to behave. As on the previous day alot of my video camera footage was in the wet I decided to load a fresh tape into the mini DV and let it run the coarse of AB to Lorne with some dodgy commentry along the way so I'll try and do soemthing with it.

Well I do have some pics and video but it's late so it will need to wait for abit but some of the other fellas did have cameras so they could well post pics before i get these up.

Sulio

Yep I had a great time. Thanks to all who came along. Great roads which were dry for most of the way. It seems they have put in a lot of "turn in" lanes for slower vehicles so most did the right thing pulling over to let us through. Great night at the Pub. We lasted till about 1am with some pleasent company of the female veriety most of the night which certainly spiced up the night. Ha. But we had to leave the party to see if Cadel Evans could fly the flag for the Aussies at the Tour De France. 2nd place still an awesome effort for an individual out gunned by a far beeter team. Anyway we got 6 cars and 7 people. I look forward to the next trip up to Buller. That one will be big since it will coincide with the Porsche "Mt Buller Sprint". Will post a few pictures soon. Cheers

to tell you the truth i was waiting for  a pm sulio ?

what the hell im so lost right now .. and to think i did nothing last weekend

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

to tell you the truth i was waiting for  a pm sulio ?

what the hell im so lost right now .. and to think i did nothing last weekend

Hi Ben,

We were expecting to see you mate as you had advised your were coming. We were even debating whether to wait any longer at the departure point on Saturday morning. I believe you did recieve all the info the other fella's got via e-mail so I'm surprised it was'nt highlighted on your calendar? We also reminded everyone at the Jag Club?

Oh well, book in November for the Bulla trip. That will include some great driving on the Balck Spur to get there and should be a magic weekend. I know I really enjoyed last year's Bulla weekend. 

Hopefully by then I have some adjustable Koni's on the car to firm up the ride in the twisty's.

Sulio

ugh its my own fault been to busy .. thinking it this week end thats why i got on today

still bumed out about it .... i knew i should of given my number to you ...any way

.. im hankering to pull a trip in it

Sulio, can we have same names for all the ugly blokes on the couches..(left to right)...finally put some faces to names  8)

From left to Right: Darren H, Matty F, Kyle (oozla) who needs a hair cut  ;D , Dale E, & Craig L (ZZZ8) facing away from the camera ;)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2513.0;attach=3538;image

Thinking of makeing the trip down for a cruise, Chris?

May have to !

are you guys talking about Mt Bulla the ski resort for latter this year ? how far to Thredbo is it ?

My boss bought a lodge about 20 mins north of Thredbo, it sleeps 40+ & I can arrange great rates & meals If its not far from mt Bulla.. ;D

It's a fair way Chris, sadly.

Although I think Craig had a trip planned up to the Thredbo area sometime later in the year?