MX-5 & RX-7

PB260Z

• Administrators
4 hours ago, gilltech said:

I think I prefer the 'before gymn' model. I have the same reaction to female body-builders, related in a way...

Weird because for me the FD3S is like the perfect blend of of masculine muscle car stance, but beautiful feminine lines.

Where as the S30Z is all feminine (in a good way)..

I like the Mx5's, contemplated getting 1 a few times. But they are 2 very different cars aimed at 2 very different markets.

I've got one too. 450rwhp on 15psi and haven't switched it to the corn juice yet. It was spinning the tyres in third on the throttle getting the boost controller dialed in. 

Absolute 0 want for an MX-5. Gilltech I'm worried for you.

IMG_20180121_185128.thumb.jpg.55bbe553d713bd0bacd612eb7c405e51.jpg

Don't worry for me d3c0y. From a design standpoint I see a purity of line in the very early MX5 (c.1989?) depicted that I just don't see in the RX7 (what year?) standing alongside. That's all. But I appreciate both have their merits and advocates.

13 hours ago, d3c0y said:

Absolute 0 want for an MX-5.

I always love the rx-7 and never really thought much about the mx5 until I driven one on the track. Now I think the mx5 (all generations) is one of the best sport car around.

It's not the fastest car around (low powered) but it's very well balanced and fun car to drive fast. You can get a fast car and drive slow or a slow mx5 and drive fast ;) 

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, hmd said:

I always love the rx-7 and never really thought much about the mx5 until I driven one on the track. Now I think the mx5 (all generations) is one of the best sport car around.

It's not the fastest car around (low powered) but it's very well balanced and fun car to drive fast. You can get a fast car and drive slow or a slow mx5 and drive fast ;) 

Hi

Agree the MX-5 is one of the best sorted chassis packages around (within a reasonable budget) and offers a huge amount of fun for the money.

The first time a drove one I was very surprised at how capable it was.

Cheers

PB

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, gilltech said:

Don't worry for me d3c0y. From a design standpoint I see a purity of line in the very early MX5 (c.1989?) depicted that I just don't see in the RX7 (what year?) standing alongside. That's all. But I appreciate both have their merits and advocates.

I don't know what you mean when you say purity of the line. Do you mean the latter models stayed true to the original concept?

I think the Rx7 stayed very true to it's original design concept from the SA22C (1978) right through to the 2002 FD3S. You can see the design evolution and the FD is still very much a no-frills sports car with the later models only weighing in at just over 1200kg. They even removed the instrument cluster dimmer in the later models as it was superfluous lol. 

Have you driven any model of Rx7?

On 6/12/2018 at 10:57 AM, hmd said:

You can get a fast car and drive slow or a slow mx5 and drive fast ;) 

That's what all the people with slow cars say. Why can't you drive the fast car fast?

That's very presumptuous of you in this case then isn't it! So i'm guessing when you are slower than a faster car you always say "ok that guy is just better than me" not "if i had more horsepower...." hahaha

Look at that Rx7, oozing purity of the linage. Can't say the same for the dumpy youngest sister of the MX-5 line, it's even got traction control! The NA would be ashamed of it...

d77c540b9c7ced5d2bdeb19478187351.jpg

cliori5xsqd4tvy5tyd4.jpg

Edited by d3c0y

lol, you misunderstood me, same driver the rx7 should be faster. A lot of the time I see at track days people with 911, GT3, GTR driving the cars at 7/10 of its capability.

They would have been better of driving a slower car at 9.5/10 of its capability.

Don't get me wrong I love the rx7, just saying most people undervalue an mx5 as a sport car.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, d3c0y said:

That's what all the people with slow cars say. Why can't you drive the fast car fast?

Just sayin’ :) 

B780B94B-58F7-4F95-B823-641E68F991B4.jpeg

2 hours ago, PB260Z said:

Just sayin’ :) 

Well you don't have to be dumb about it. I do track days and if you are up in the hills you can still go fast without big numbers in a relative sense.

3 hours ago, hmd said:

lol, you misunderstood me, same driver the rx7 should be faster. A lot of the time I see at track days people with 911, GT3, GTR driving the cars at 7/10 of its capability.

Haha yeah I know that one, I used to do track days with the local BMW club

• Moderators
5 hours ago, d3c0y said:

Well you don't have to be dumb about it. I do track days and if you are up in the hills you can still go fast without big numbers in a relative sense.

Haha yeah I know that one, I used to do track days with the local BMW club

Agree, definately comes down to being responsible with the power/speed at your disposal.

Back in the 90’s I had a pretty well sorted KE20 Corolla, 1500cc 5 Speed etc. It maxed out at about 150KM/H as it still had the original diff ratio. It was just so much fun on the twisty stuff and when pushed to its absolute limit was unlikey to get you arrested. The Calias Turbo I replaced it with was a very different story. 

BA2A1F40-A230-40BC-9706-93FF15603802.jpeg

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

Thats a sad reflection Gav. But funny.....

Jeff

When I see 2 men in a convertible together I always think of that German calling out "hey fun boys, get a room!"

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, gav240z said:

When I see 2 men in a convertible together I always think of that German calling out "hey fun boys, get a room!"

I recall that you have used that before, when referring to Champagne Gold BMW Convertible.