#1 Kuba

Kuba

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some springs and maybe shocks too for my '77 260z. Was just scouring eBay for some Kings lowered springs (KDFL-04 / KDRS-09) and thought maybe someone has them lying around?

Also looking for KYB's 361002 and 361003 which I'll most likely import from the US.

I'm open to other options/brands.

Cheers

#2 Cozza

Cozza

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

Gday, I’m pretty sure I have some KDFL04’s about.
I’ll have to have a squiz about the shed over the weekend but drop a pm to remind me.

Mick
  • PB260Z likes this

#3 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

Hi Mate

I have a set of KDRS-09 brand new in box, unopened.
I got them for my bus but turned out it already a set installed.
Cost $125 + GST - make me an offer if you want ‘em.

Cheers

PB

Attached Thumbnails

• 13BF9016-78D6-44A5-A21C-58CCB0FA640F.jpeg

#4 Cozza

Cozza

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

Yep I have a pair of KDFL-04’s.
They are a little beaten up but they still have their original tag, I don’t think they have ever been used.BD8D6D5B-1B52-45BD-A80F-CADDB294C0B3.jpeg
  • PB260Z likes this

#5 Kuba

Kuba

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

Yep I have a pair of KDFL-04’s.
They are a little beaten up but they still have their original tag, I don’t think they have ever been used.attachicon.gif BD8D6D5B-1B52-45BD-A80F-CADDB294C0B3.jpeg

PM sent.

#6 Groundhog

Groundhog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:10 PM

Be aware that fitting lowered springs requires a shorter shock length than standard.
IF you fit the lowered KING springs with your standard length shocks, KYB's, KONIs whatever, the spring will not be encapsulated.
Or in laymans terms, the spring will be loose between the top and bottom end stops, and your steering will not work.
It's not acceptable (or safe) to have a spring that comes loose when you the wheel clears the ground.
To fit a lowered spring, you need a reduced length shock and as I've found out, these are not commonly available.
I tried to fit the KDFL-04's with 25 mm lowered KING springs and the spring is loose.
So I have hunted around and found some shorter KONI's that are no longer available.

I can sell you the KYB's that you are after but I'm wasting your time with shorter springs.

Edited by Groundhog, 18 May 2018 - 11:14 PM.

#7 Cozza

Cozza

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:34 PM

Hi Kuba
The good man PeterAllen of this forum is the true owner of these springs and is happy to pass them on to you for just a donation to the site of whatever you think they are worth.

Let me know how is best to get them to you. I think you were also keen to try my 16” wheels?
I’m pretty close to Cronulla.

#8 Cozza

Cozza

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

Hi Groundhog
Why do you say the steering won’t work with springs that are not bound?
Whilst I’m also not a fan of the springs not being bound, I have not had any problems.
I guess I have not had my car airborne though 😃

#9 Groundhog

Groundhog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

The strut turns on the top thrust bearing and if the spring is not bound then this bearing is loose,

When your car goes up on the hoist for a machinery inspection and they find the spring rattling loose, it's an immediate failure.

Ask yourself why there are a lot of lowered coil springs for sale.
A lot of people give up trying to get a shorter shock and go for a coil-over.

Edited by Groundhog, 19 May 2018 - 07:27 PM.

• PB260Z likes this

#10 Kuba

Kuba

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

Be aware that fitting lowered springs requires a shorter shock length than standard.
IF you fit the lowered KING springs with your standard length shocks, KYB's, KONIs whatever, the spring will not be encapsulated.
Or in laymans terms, the spring will be loose between the top and bottom end stops, and your steering will not work.
It's not acceptable (or safe) to have a spring that comes loose when you the wheel clears the ground.
To fit a lowered spring, you need a reduced length shock and as I've found out, these are not commonly available.
I tried to fit the KDFL-04's with 25 mm lowered KING springs and the spring is loose.
So I have hunted around and found some shorter KONI's that are no longer available.

I can sell you the KYB's that you are after but I'm wasting your time with shorter springs.

Thanks mate, I'll chat with my mechanic about the springs if Kings won't fit I'll just leave the old ones I guess. It's the shocks I definitely need to change. Unfortunately, I've pulled the trigger and bought a set from US yesterday, couldn't find the rears anywhere locally and the price for 4 fronts here is same as 2 fronts and 2 backs with shipping.

Hi Kuba
The good man PeterAllen of this forum is the true owner of these springs and is happy to pass them on to you for just a donation to the site of whatever you think they are worth.

Let me know how is best to get them to you. I think you were also keen to try my 16” wheels?
I’m pretty close to Cronulla.

Maybe over next weekend if that suits? Let's chat over PM.

#11 Cozza

Cozza

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Sure.

#12 Kuba

Kuba

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, springs are found courtesy to @Pb260z and @Cozza. Shocks are on the way from eBay us, hope it'll make a difference in handling :)

I've donated some $ for PeterAllen's springs for the forum.

Cheers
  • Groundhog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users