In Car Audio

PB260Z

• Moderators

Hi

I have been thinking about the options for getting music in the Bus, but ideally without butchering any of the interior.

Yesterday my sister gave me a Bluetooth Speaker (Ultimate Ears Boom 2) about ther size of drink can.

https://www.ultimateears.com/en-au/wireless-speakers/boom-2.html

I am startting to think that mounting one of these either on the back of the centre console or somewehere in the front combined with my iPhone music library could be a very easy answer.

Are any of you folks using this as a solution, and if you are what are your thoughts ?

Cheers

PB

Hey PB,

That's actually a brilliant idea. Something I never considered.

I've decided to remove the stereo from my car. As I simply enjoy the sound of the car on my daily drives, plus the current install is ugly. But for long distances this would be great.

All you would need to do is wire in a USB adapter, running off the 12v system. Nothing too challenging.

I have a JBL Bluetooth unit. Going to start thinking about the best way to achieve this.

Ironically, if you have two JBL units, they can be setup for stereo playback.. Mmmmmm

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by RAP260

• Moderators

Hey PB,

That's actually a brilliant idea. Something I never considered.

I've decided to remove the stereo from my car. As I simply enjoy the sound of the car on my daily drives, plus the current install is ugly. But for long distances this would be great.

All you would need to do is wire in a USB adapter, running off the 12v system. Nothing too challenging.

I have a JBL Bluetooth unit. Going to start thinking about the best way to achieve this.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

The wiring is very simple, and as this unit is round it could be secured in place by two stainless hose clamps.

Cheers

PB

• Moderators

Hi PB, good option.

We use 1 in the footwell of the passenger seat.

I find the music resonates well from there.

Easy and full selection of music. I am currently using a Bose unit, however I have used others and they're just as good

Hi

The footwell is an interesting idea, am thinking on the bottom of the glovebox might be a semi concealed location.

Cheers

PB

I face the same dilemma and thought about something similar.

In the end I went with retrosound head unit and made new tool box lids to mount speakers so i wasn't cutting up the originals.

Looks factoryish and has all the modern features of bluetooth and handsfree etc.

What where the original speaker mounting positions? . Mine are mounted behind the seats, in the side panels.

Of course, I assume the same place the current ones are mounted, otherwise I'd have holes elsewhere. Assuming my interior is original.

Edited by RAP260

• Moderators

I face the same dilemma and thought about something similar.

In the end I went with retrosound head unit and made new tool box lids to mount speakers so i wasn't cutting up the originals.

Looks factoryish and has all the modern features of bluetooth and handsfree etc.

Hi

I have the Retrosound head unit, it is the mounting of speakers in the 2+2 that presents the challenge.

The originals are in the side panels, small and behind the trim.

I have been looking for a way to get speakers in the front.

Do it period, hack the door trims.

Mine were placed in the door trims before I owned the car but I disconnected them, as the cable traversed under the dash behind the kick panels and then tucked in behind the door trim. I thought it looked too rough sneaky ng in the door trim like that so I removed the wiring and put some 6x9” boxes in the back.

Ive always planned on putting rubber cable conduits in the door hinge area to neaten it up and reinstate the front speakers but.....

Just another job I haven’t got around to.

What I had in my 2+2 which worked fantastically was: 2 high quality speakers in the stock location in the back and two flatscreen TV speakers up under the dash. The flatscreen units have an incredible sound if you source them from a high quality TV, I got mine out of a samsung. Think about the incredibly high development cost that television manufactures go through to create slim, quality speakers. 

• Moderators

What I had in my 2+2 which worked fantastically was: 2 high quality speakers in the stock location in the back and two flatscreen TV speakers up under the dash. The flatscreen units have an incredible sound if you source them from a high quality TV, I got mine out of a samsung. Think about the incredibly high development cost that television manufactures go through to create slim, quality speakers.

Hi

Thanks for that tip.

Would never have thought about speakers from a TV.

I think I will grab a couple and have a play with them

Cheers

PB