So I've just spoken to someone from Spellbound Motorsport (just outside of LA).
Basically I'm looking to import a bunch of 240z (and maybe 260/280z) panels, sections and parts from the US.
He said that a lot of the cars he buys are often accident damaged/rusted etc.. that way he gets them cheap (for their parts), so good panels are often hard to get. But sometimes he will get a car with a bad front-end but good rear end for example.
This all came about in my quest for a rear clip. It's going to take some time to get this car cut up for shipping.
Basically here is the plan:
1. Get a list of desired parts/panels.
2. He will ship / crate them to a warehouse in LA (at a cost) - around $200 for a 1 way trip.
3. The shipping company will freight them to myself in Sydney / Depot.
The more stuff we ship the more the economics of scale come into it, however the requirement for free capital means that need to have quite a bit of cash tied up in the shipping of this stuff. So what I plan to do is take orders of stuff required and then maybe take a 10-20% deposit for the item with the remainder collected upon arrival.
I don't yet have a break down on the cost of each panel, but here is an example of what price might cost, by the time it gets here.
1. Early 240z rear vented hatch ($500 USD).
2. Ship to depot in US ($20-$30) - depends on how much stuff we ship.
3. Cost to import panel ($100-$150 w/insurance) and GST (depends on cost of individual item) etc..
4. I will then have to collect from depot (hire van or truck etc..) - take half day off work etc.. So I will need to charge maybe 20% on top to make it worthwhile. (don't forget foreign transaction fees and possible quarantine costs on this end).
Once we have a list of desired / sections panels, parts etc.. I will be able to get prices from Crow and give a more accurate price estimate on individual parts. I will try and over estimate so when the item gets here you may get lucky and actual cost comes in a bit lower. Better to get reverse sticker shock .
- Rear 1/4 panels
- Hoods (very hard to get now) - so may not be worth it compared with reproduction ones
- Spare tyre wells
- Rear valance sections (only a few good ones)
- Topy steel wheels (some with original tyres still) - has a bunch! Matching date stamp sets are difficult to do though!
- Front guards
- Rad support sections
- Other misc sections can be cut out i.e seat mounts, rear storage bins, battery box sections etc.. we just need to draw a line through a photo of what we want. Usually this isn't economical on 1 off basis but if we import in bulk this stuff is more viable. Refer to Facebook page for example sections he can supply. Basically we can cut anywhere you like / need (if a good section exists on a parts car in his yard).
So I am aware that I started a thread before with a similar goal (and topy steelies here) and haven't quite delivered (well so far I've imported stuff for myself mostly). A couple of reasons is that 1.) My friend in SFO who has a collection of stuff still hasn't got organised. 2.) I'm well aware that if you can get panels locally you're better off as it works out cheaper nearly always, the problem is stuff is getting harder to find here.
Crow is based in LA, where the Warehouse is so that makes life easier, having said that in LA traffic it's still a 1.5 hour drive to deliver to that Warehouse. (My friend was based in SFO - 8 or so hours away). Which makes a big difference. Also Crow has a flat bed truck he can put a pallet on and that will make shipping of bulk stuff far easier / more viable.
So basically I need your wish list, then I will go back to him and we will confirm he has it and then get a price list and from there we should be good to go.
Just an FYI: We didn't discuss non body panel parts in much detail, but I believe he has a lot of dealer option wheels (not sure if there is demand for those here?), but if there is large items that just aren't practical to ship via Air freight, feel free to list those also!
Let's set a soft deadline for end of this month (May 2018) to get expressions of interest in.
Current Order List Here.