Stock L26 With Triple 45Mm Webbers?

Zedhead

Hello everyone

I want to do some performance mods on my 260z coup and was wondering if tripple 45mm webbers be suitable for a stock L26 with some new extractors and exhaust system. I want to but a set on ebay but it says this ( 1970-83 NISSAN 240Z 260Z 280Z Triple 45-DCOE Side Draft PERFORMANCE upgrade Kit

NOT CARB Approved: This carburetor kit is for off-road and racing use only and should NEVER be used on the highways} in the add so not sure about legalities with emissions and if they can be road used.

Also, I am thinking about fitting flares to it but not sure. To flare or not to flare? What do you guys think.

Thanks 

Jeff

Edited by Zedhead

45s are to big for a stock L26 you need 40mm if anything.

ADRs got stricter after '76 models, you need to keep pollution gear looking connected

There is some good info out there for sizing up Weber’s and Dellorto’s out there that you can read though the main thing is obviously your choke size to ensure a good differential of air pressure from one side to the other somf7el can be drawn through the air and fuel jets to ensure good atomization of the fuel. Without this differential it makes it very hard for the carbs to work properly unless you have lots of air flow to increase this (larger chokes and less difference in size to the throttle bore size). You do have optimum choke to throttle bore size for these to allow the cards to work properly.

45’s won’t give you more power unless you need the extra 5mm to run larger chokes for your application.

Check out the attached pages I have added on sizing for you. But remember smaller is better in choke size for response but you do loose out top end. Be realistic about how you will be using the car as most of your driving on the road is from idle to mid rpm range.

Hope it helps or it just might add to the confusion lol

post-103877-0-88950000-1524389460_thumb.png

post-103877-0-03988800-1524389915_thumb.png

There is some good info out there for sizing up Weber’s and Dellorto’s out there that you can read though the main thing is obviously your choke size to ensure a good differential of air pressure from one side to the other somf7el can be drawn through the air and fuel jets to ensure good atomization of the fuel. Without this differential it makes it very hard for the carbs to work properly unless you have lots of air flow to increase this (larger chokes and less difference in size to the throttle bore size). You do have optimum choke to throttle bore size for these to allow the cards to work properly.

45’s won’t give you more power unless you need the extra 5mm to run larger chokes for your application.

Check out the attached pages I have added on sizing for you. But remember smaller is better in choke size for response but you do loose out top end. Be realistic about how you will be using the car as most of your driving on the road is from idle to mid rpm range.

Very informative, Thanks again HK.

Thanks for the great info. 

Utter bullshit. Fit 32mm chokes & it'll run great.

40DCOE's are for effeminate lefties.

Thanks Lurch,

I spoke with Les a few weeks ago asking him if I could bring my Z in for some work.  He told me to Bring it in towards the end of the month and I will do that soon. Only problem is that my budget is about 10 to 12k.  The cars a barn find that is very straight with only to small rust issues that I could find.  

It hasn't been started in over 20 years so will need all the obvious things gone over such as new hoses, brakes, fuel system, suspension. I would love some webbers or equivalent depending on what Les recommends and for the gear box and drive line to be sorted but not sure how far my budget will get me.   I am a novice on car restos so much of the work will need to be done by others.   I have the vision but not all the skills sadly. 

Utter bullshit. Fit 32mm chokes & it'll run great.

40DCOE's are for effeminate lefties.

I'd be interested to see a comparison between the 40's & 45's with the same choke sizes. I'm wondering if the larger taper in the bigger carbs (as in 45-32) would produce more velocity and more torque?

All other things being equal between both sets other than jetting changes if required.

Are these the 44 Mikunis you guys are talking about and if so can someone tell me what the difference is between them and the 45 webbers please.  Are the Mikunis really worth that much more than the Webers?

Here's the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-L24-L28-Triple-Mikuni44-type-4-full-conversion-set/282936165073?hash=item41e04f42d1:g:Vg0AAOSwSUJa2Hho&vxp=mtr

Edited by Zedhead

Mikuni's aren't made anymore, webers can be had for $500 each brand new or about the same for a pair 2nd hand (or considerably less for Chinese "replica" webers ::) ), One reason the Mikuni's are exxy is simple supply and demand. You also need to consider availability and price of spares, plus jets and chokes for tuning purposes if the Mikuni's you buy aren't already tuned for your engine.

Mikuni's do have a good reputation though, and webers aren't JDM, yo !

Personally I'd save the $2000 difference in price and put some of it towards a really good, thorough tune by someone who knows what they're doing, quality of tune will probably have more effect on which set of carbs performs best than the actual make of carbs themselves.

Mikuni's aren't made anymore, webers can be had for $500 each brand new or about the same for a pair 2nd hand (or considerably less for Chinese "replica" webers : :) ), One reason the Mikuni's are exxy is simple supply and demand. You also need to consider availability and price of spares, plus jets and chokes for tuning purposes if the Mikuni's you buy aren't already tuned for your engine.

Mikuni's do have a good reputation though, and webers aren't JDM, yo !

Personally I'd save the $2000 difference in price and put some of it towards a really good, thorough tune by someone who knows what they're doing, quality of tune will probably have more effect on which set of carbs performs best than the actual make of carbs themselves.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the great advice and agree with you.  I can get a brand new set of 45 Webers  with  manifold ready to fit for about $2200 so was thinking the same thing. I will be taking it to Les so I think I will just leave it all up to him and see what the best bang for buck is.  

Les will just install new Webers.

Mikuni's are too hard to deal with - you'd have to completely recondition them first.
You'll buy a set of complete 40PHH's (for the same price as new 45mm Weber), THEN you'll have to recondition them.

FWIW a rebuilt set of Mikuni 44PHH's is worth over $4,000...

Edited by Lurch ™

• Administrators

OERs are another option and have external adjustment on float and accelator pumps I believe. You can get a kit inc. manifold for around $2,000 which seems like a good deal to me.

https://www.rhdjapan.com/oer-racing-carburetor-kit-45mm-wire-type-l-series.html

However I have heard mixed reviews on quality. But a friend of mine who rebuilds Mikunis in North America sold his 44s and bought OER and swears by them being good.

The good thing about OERs is they take Weber jets.

I've driven a Triple 40mm Weber L28 and a Triple 44mm Mikuni L28 (my car), best modification I've done on my car. However I was previously using SUs and I'm not 100% sure but I think it had L24 size needles only. I plan to check as it would explain the lackluster performance.