• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:22 AM

The one thing that bugged me driving the Zed was the slopping gear change which really took away from the fun of driving it. The box was at best vague. As my syncro when in 2nd I looked for a better box.
I have just fitted a SII Bluebird box in it and it is like driving a new car. The gear change is exact and feels and sound great.
Would recommend the change.
One thing though, just trying to make sure the speedo is accuarte. What revs should be at at 80kph?

#2 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:38 AM

From memory around 2500 rpm but i couldnt tell you what diff ratio i have. Was this a straight swap as i agree with you on all counts and also i have a second gear syncro that has seen better days. So im interested to see what options i have.

#3 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

hmmmm Ive been waiting for someone to do this conversion..Back in the 80's I drove a 1984-S2 bluebird (no laughs please) & the gearbox was wonderful.
..did you have to modify tailshaft ?

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

Sometimes all you need to do to fix the sloppy shifter are to install new bushes that support the shifter and bolt. With age and loads of hard shifting, the bushes tend to crack and fall apart. You could always machine up a brass bush etc...

#5 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:59 PM

I see those brass bush's on e-bay every so often. Mines pretty nice and tight, 280zx box.

Sulio

#6 oldmates260z

oldmates260z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:11 PM

The box went straight in, only thing I noticed that was different was the filler plug was on the other side, but no problems.

The gear lever was a far better design, it spread the wearing surface and had some very hard nylon inserts, but alias, would not fit so I had to use my old lever with washers to fill the gaps.

To me it seems more than worn parts, the Bluebird box makes that notchy sound and the gears are all in specific locations, not generally over here and there.

The gearing feels a bit better to me, not much in the numbers. One thing I wanted was a longer 5th, but the 280ZX is the one with that!

Gearbox FS5W71B as fitted to the SI & SII Bluebird: -
1st..3.321
2nd..2.077
3rd..1.308
4th..1.000
5th..0.833
Rev..3.382

FS5C71B 260Z
1. 2.906
2. 1.902
3. 1.308
4. 1.000
5 0.864

This was cheap box, $140 off eBay which is a lot cheaper than want you would pay for a 260 box.

#7 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Tagline:I wanna bring to many cars back to life.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:38 PM

I use to own a sII ventura bluebird of the year 84. my parents put 300000km on that car without fail. and then i got my l's and it was given to me (after my sisters) around about 400000km by then. still went well just started to have carby and dizy problems. fixed that and turbo went on. that car was great and stupid 6 12" subs in the back and a few component speakers. but faded paint lol. the box took it all. burnout drags the lot from a p plater. alot of people turned their heads because of it. engine died and when we pulled it appart couldnt find any problems with it except compression. original pistons (shaved for lower compression). anyone tells you nissan doesnt make good cars tell them to talk to me. but i have a secont box and im slapping it in the 280z. and seeing what else fits as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users