60 replies to this topic

#41 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:04 PM

Much of that would depend on how much stretch you have on the rear tyres, keep in mind that alot of guys that use this configuration with 16" Wats use 245's at the back. Of course thats an easier fit on a 16". Trying to fit "low" series tyres in 245's on a 17" rim is harder. When I was getting my front tyres fitted I notices three 225 width tyres that looked different widths to each other. Initially I thought it was just a visual trick to the eye but the first set of 225's we tried to mount on the rim would't fit right as the machine could'nt get it on but the second set of 225's, (diff brand), which did look slightly wider fit nicley.

Can you show us more pics from various other angles like from the top. Are you sure the flare is sitting down low enough on the body?

#42 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

yeah i think i ended up drilling the holes to mount them a bit higher up than where they are taped on in those pics, so the bottom of the flares sit just below the standard guards line. they might look a bit high in that side on picture as i was resting the camera on the ground. they do look a bit on the high side but i want to have my car look low coz it is low, not just low thanks to the flare height, and wanted the front and back sitting about the same height above that visual line that goes down the side of the car. so the top of the flares are sitting around the same height as the middle of the door handle

the only problem is just drilling one of the holes i drilled straight into copper...and now my rear parkers dont work :( since i'm not going to cut the guards myself i can't think of an easy way to repair this besides run new wires from up near the dash to the back for them, or see if they'll solder it up?

#43 van

van

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

They look great Evan, nice choice!

Flares make such an awesome difference to these cars, I love it!

#44 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

well i mounted the rear flares up to high, i'm blamming the ground it was sitting on at the time and the main side i was playing with was the drivers side which is about 15mm lower than the other, and i had a full tank of fuel, and i was reading the stuff on hybridz about them mounting them 3inches above the guards so mine still didn't seem that high, but now i've gone through lots of pics of jap cars there is no way they are up 3"...so i'm guessing its going to start to look way to high when its empty.

so i figure i have two solutions
1 get the holes welded along with the antenna hole and front indicators and paint the car which i was kind of going to do anyway as most would know, but i'm liking the green with the flares, hence y i didn't paint it before i got the wheels...

2 get coilovers in which case i think i could just leave them the height they are at and lower the hell out of the car, in which case i dont care about the scratches on my car.

3 buy another set of rear flares and use a thicker rubber bit around it. i orginally cut off the little lip around the body side of the flares as i thought it was excess material from them being made, and the rubber i'm using is a "T" which sits really well with this lip being cut off, however using the "p" shape would give me about another cm overall so i could lower them a bit that way, althoguh it would only lower the wheel gap

i can't think of anythign else, and yes i'm naturally pissed off at myself lol

#45 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

i like option 2 as atleast its an upgrade :D plus my car never sat at the height i wanted it too, ie this is a picture of it with 225/45's on the rear. the gap with the flares on is less than this but yeah, i want less now...

Posted Image

#46 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

have you got some pics of the result?

#47 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

yeah i actully just went and took some, i'll resize them and post them in a bit

its not to bad when ur looking at the car overall, i just need coilovers, hello tax money! lol

#48 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

http://www.viczcar.c...bnails-109.html

uploaded the pics to my gallery

Posted Image

an inch lower and i'll b happy with how it sits[/url]

#49 dave_hl

dave_hl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

I love it evan! looks real sexy.
I would definately keep the green, goes well with the black.

#50 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:01 PM

looks very clean and nice, kudos.

yea tax money, havent doen one for the past 2 years so i think 3 in one hit should see my car finished!!! :lol:

nato

#51 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

Evan looks great. After looking at your car in person tonight I don't think you have mounted them any higher than I have it's just that your rear sits higher than mine. Coil overs would be great but if you want a cheaper solution a couple of LOW set King springs for the rear is only $100.00 new, thats what I installed.

#52 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Wow how good does that look! :)

Posted Image

#53 Azon

Azon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Wow that looks awesome - good to hear you finally got the wheels.... and the black centres look much better than silver in my opinion (i will still put them on even with the silver centres any day though ) :D Your car looks awesome with this color combination - very distinct :D After seeing your wheels with black centres I am even more sure in going the same way with my wheels - should look good against yellow.

#54 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

yeah it does look good, can't disagree with any of you there lol. spending over 1g on a paint job isn't something i really want to do right now so i'll see what happens. and i'd still like to have it some weird colour for a bit for some stupid reason...

i saw ur mr2 for sale on carsales, is ur zed on the road? i want to have some 4age powered car at some stage

#55 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,654 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

yeah it does look good, can't disagree with any of you there lol. spending over 1g on a paint job isn't something i really want to do right now so i'll see what happens. and i'd still like to have it some weird colour for a bit for some stupid reason...

i saw ur mr2 for sale on carsales, is ur zed on the road? i want to have some 4age powered car at some stage

Hey Evan it looks superb, it's really come up well after some wheels and flares even if the paint needs work. As I said I'd keep it green myself, perhaps a slightly lighter green or more metallic like a British Racing green and it would look absolutely awesome, but hey it's your car do whatever seems right.

Must say though I'm a little jealous now that everyone has adopted the fat ZG look. I'd love to buy a set of Wat's but I'm saving to go overseas. It also happens that Ebay is loaded with Zcar goodness when I'm not supposed to be spending anything on the Z :).

#56 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

just hurry up and buy some wats! they are forged yeah? so prob worth the extra and look sweet in their own right!

but yeah, its hard to stay focused on just one thing huh? lol

#57 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,654 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

just hurry up and buy some wats! they are forged yeah? so prob worth the extra and look sweet in their own right!

but yeah, its hard to stay focused on just one thing huh? lol

When I get back from OS I will :).

In the meantime I've doctored your car a little. I was going to use it on the website as part of the new design but the green and dark wheels are just too dark once i shrink the size of the image down.

So I did all this photoshopping to discover it won't work. Oh well at least it looks funky :).

Attached Thumbnails

• 941_.jpg

#58 tattoo_ink

tattoo_ink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:08 PM

lol!!! thats close to the colour i was thinking of using on our z (black base with green candy)! chris.

#59 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

Don't worry Gav I'll get some good pics. Just gotta get the right light! Maybe next week some time Evan!?

Cheers
Sulio

#60 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

r u saying my pics aren't good? lol, nicely edited though gav. do u like my missing bolts on the rear flares? and yeah whenever really sulio, i'm going away this long weekend, and i should get the rear spoiler on first :D plus mine will look like a 4wd next to urs :(

personally i think that green is to blue, there's an rb26 powered zed in america tahts a house of colours colour thats very similar to that. i actully like the yellowish tinge in the green thats on my car, but yeah it takes it further away from BRG. if i were to respray it a green it would either b this orginal or a bit of a darker green, like whats on some bmw's and the old new mini. i never really liked green cars until i ended up owning one, and green was my favorite colour as a kid so i dont know y. i think its kind of an old mans sports car colour, so eventually the car will end up being sprayed in it, its just a question of what colour in the mean time...if it goes horribly wrong it will end up white or flat black lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users