Subaru Sti R180 Diff Adapter Output Shafts

Gtv240z

I have a Subaru lsd I want to put in the zed..

There is a bit of talk online about people breaking and bending the aftermarket adapter output shafts....

What are people here using? Is there a supplier of strong ones that don't fail?

I don't think there is a supplier in Australia, Maddat here in Adelaide do a complete CV axle assembly to suit at 4 times the price and is a superb bit of kit. The Subaru lsds are so cheap it's almost justifiable as a package. I should probably go the cheaper option though I don't really need super strong axles....

• Administrators

You can get a kit to convert your R180 open diff to an LSD. By the time you do the adaptor conversion etc.. it works out about the same. I looked into it a while back.

Speak to Les Collins or Lurch about it.

The ones that were snapping were the stubs supplied Wolf Creek Racing, but the owner of Wolf Creek Racing is no longer alive. I was talking to a guy John Williams on Facebook who apparently supplied WCR with the stubs, and told me that in later batches made WCR made him cut the price, which in turn lowered the quality (against his advice) that resulted in them failing. He was even nice enough to send me a two pairs free of charge from the states, as a make good for WCR which he definitely didn't need to do. He works in aerospace and makes the stubs himself in the states and are $300USD a pair which is a bargain (WCR used to sell them for $550).

You can contact him at Wmi73@verizon.net or on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1691345565

Just remember you need to use an STi diff as the regular WRX just has an R160 and even then the STi has 3 different ratios and 3 different diff centers.

Edited by d3c0y

The ones that were snapping were the stubs supplied Wolf Creek Racing, but the owner of Wolf Creek Racing is no longer alive. I was talking to a guy John Williams on Facebook who apparently supplied WCR with the stubs, and told me that in later batches made WCR made him cut the price, which in turn lowered the quality (against his advice) that resulted in them failing. He was even nice enough to send me a two pairs free of charge from the states, as a make good for WCR which he definitely didn't need to do. He works in aerospace and makes the stubs himself in the states and are $300USD a pair which is a bargain (WCR used to sell them for $550).

You can contact him at Wmi73@verizon.net or on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1691345565

Just remember you need to use an STi diff as the regular WRX just has an R160 and even then the STi has 3 different ratios and 3 different diff centers.

Fantastic! Thanks for the info

You can get a kit to convert your R180 open diff to an LSD. By the time you do the adaptor conversion etc.. it works out about the same. I looked into it a while back.

Speak to Les Collins or Lurch about it.

The benefit I see to getting the stub axles to suit the Subi diff is that you then have access to multiple ratios for cheap.

I have 3.9:1 and 4.625:1 ratios at a cost of half of getting 2 Datsun diffs converted to LSD. And cheap to replace if something goes wrong.

For me I like the option of ratios to suit different tracks. The 3.9 suits the long tracks, whereas the 4.6 is well suited to the shorter tighter tracks and probably hill climbs too.

The benefit I see to getting the stub axles to suit the Subi diff is that you then have access to multiple ratios for cheap.

I have 3.9:1 and 4.625:1 ratios at a cost of half of getting 2 Datsun diffs converted to LSD. And cheap to replace if something goes wrong.

For me I like the option of ratios to suit different tracks. The 3.9 suits the long tracks, whereas the 4.6 is well suited to the shorter tighter tracks and probably hill climbs too.

yep , i wanted a 4.375 but a 4.4 subi diff is cheap and comes with lsd. if i allocated cost to the gears and the lsd centre separately , i probably bought the LSD centre for $100

Hey guy's.

My name is John Williams. I have been making the Subi stub axles since 2006.   (d3c0y Jake) Advised me to post here so you fellas know who I am. I own a machine shop here in the US. I've been in business for over 40 years. I do Aerospace, Automotive, Oilfield, And any odd job that comes my way.

I've been a Datsun owner for over 20 years. Zed's and 510's. I started the side axles with Beta Motorsports. Beta turned the business of axles over to Wolf Creek. The owner of Wolf Creek passed away. So I just started selling direct to the Datsun community. There are a couple other people selling the axles, But they have all copied my design. And they sell for a lot more $$.

Any questions please feel free to send me an e mail @ wmi73@verizon.net

I've got a 4.4 Torsen from a fairly early STI

Pretty sure this is a mechanical 1.5 way. That's the one I had when i was doing this conversion. The late model wagon shape ones come with a 3.54 and that's the only Torsen I know of.