144 replies to this topic

#21 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

Talking of sounds here are some of RB??D and RB??DE cars in Japan. The first one is a C10 Skyline originally just a GT with L20a Engine now with RB engine running triple carbs

Now the same car but this time upgraded to tripe DCOE throttle bodies

Now the RockyAuto build S30 with RB power with triple DCOE carbs.

I have somewhere a copy of Skyline (C10) with a 3.1L L28 running a stainless steel exhaust system and I must say they sound almost the same as the Skyline above with the RB in it. The sound might have a lot to do with the use of Stainless Steel, remember that most RB turbo on the road usually have an aftermarket manifold made from stainless so does this make the so call RB sounds?

#22 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:48 PM

Ok this is what I have been up to tonight  8)

The question about the header and would they fit ? The answer is almost they are fowling on the flange at the floor but only just. You see the engine mounts have been modified for the captive engine mounts and this has raised the engine 5mm from the standard castle main mount. So if this was not done I believe there would be no issues. Having said that I plan to install the RB30 in the future so that will lift the head 38mm from where it sits now so I am going to see if I can get the header modified to lower the flange.

Anyway here are some pics.

#23 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:10 PM

Would the RB25DE sit in that same position? I'm hoping that because I would'nt mind having some extra room on the driver's side for the TB's. Last thing I need is for the TB's to just touch the master cylinder or something...

#24 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

I assume so given the bottom end is a RB25DE block. I just been looking at a number of pics of RB installed in 240z/260z look to see if others have their engines in the same location. Trying to find pics of other RB installs with the Castle Main Rod shop mounts but most are US installs and they have the steering wheel on the other side and the all seem to have the engine lean over more to our passenger side. So then I was looking for other OZ/NZ installs to see what they look like. I will know more about the TB room in a week or so when I remove the stock 26 stuff and installing my DCOE setup (once I get that complete but for the test install/fit it just might be a mock up)

Also if the moderator want to move my post to the members projects please do so.

EDIT: attached pic might give you a better idea on the room on the intake side.

#25 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

Hi NZeder, hope the following pics can help.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 2648_.jpg
  • 2646_.jpg
  • 2644_.jpg
  • 2642_.jpg

#26 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:01 PM

Sorry NZeder, doubled up on one pic, one was meant to be this one.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 2650_.jpg

#27 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:50 AM

sorry Nzeder, just for clarification, i assume ur using castlemain rodshop engine and gearbox mounts? is this with an rb25 gearbox?

#28 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:49 AM

sorry Nzeder, just for clarification, i assume ur using castlemain rodshop engine and gearbox mounts? is this with an rb25 gearbox?

Yes and no, yes to the engine mounts and no to the gear box mount as I did not what that big bulky gearbox mount so we are making a new one. Again I will be using an Energy Suspension captive/interlock type mount this time the chev gearbox mount. We are yet to make this mount will do this in the weekend. Gearbox is RB20DET unit.

#29 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the pic - that looks like Steve's RB30-ZED old car so I assume you are the new owner, that was an excellent purchase you could not build that car for the price he was asking. A very good and wise purchase indeed.

#30 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,631 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the pic - that looks like Steve's RB30-ZED old car so I assume you are the new owner, that was an excellent purchase you could not build that car for the price he was asking. A very good and wise purchase indeed.

Tell me about it, had I not been about to leave for an overseas trip, all the cash I had saved would have been splurged on buying that Z :). Great Zeds like that come up few and far between. I would have also considered buying Nigel's old Z (NR240) now Sexual Sushi's ride.

#31 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi NZeder, no prob's, sorry I'm not that mechanically minded to offer any more info. You're right in that I'm one of the Mexicans who stole Steve's Z, awesome ride. Getting some work done to it atm.

John

#32 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

ill explain later. email is buggered, and the forum just spat out my last post and lost it!!!!!!!

or im losing it @ the pc!!!!

attached is the dwg of the throttle body flanges, forgot what you wanted me to do with them????

cheers nato

Attached Files

#33 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

ill explain later. email is buggered, and the forum just spat out my last post and lost it!!!!!!!

or im losing it @ the pc!!!!

attached is the dwg of the throttle body flanges, forgot what you wanted me to do with them????

cheers nato

Cool - the bottom is a copy of the Tomei metal TB gasket which is larger than the actual manifold/TB as they diameter of the TB is 44m and 45mm at the manifold. In fact if you rotate a DCOE flange (ie the top one) it looks like the bolt holes are in the same location.

So basically I will make a single flange/adaptor that will bolt up to the RB26 manifold with counter sunk allen bolt this adaptor will also have the DCOE bolt pattern on it with the DCOE studs locktite in place. I will make the flange/adaptor 12mm-15mm thick.

Regards
Mike

#34 mayhem

mayhem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Tagline:speed is a life style

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

if you need any help on this i have just got mine through VASS and i did all the fab and installing of my RB25det into my z and i mean everything and nothing was knocked back.... thank god at $845 bucks a visit ???

#35 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,631 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

if you need any help on this i have just got mine through VASS and i did all the fab and installing of my RB25det into my z and i mean everything and nothing was knocked back.... thank god at $845 bucks a visit ???

Are you going to offer conversion parts? Engine mounts? gearbox mounts? sump modifications?

#36 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:42 PM

so mike/.Nzedr, you want an overlay of the bottom one over the top on, (as per your pic).???
then you could get them laser/water cut, csk to suit, and taper the plate also to suit.

was the pic a scan????

#37 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hey Nzeder, are you using and modifying the RB26 inlet manifold or the RB25? I'm starting to cut up the RB25DE manifold. I've located water jet cut mounting plates for DCOE pattern carbs to weld to the runners of the RB25 manifold. Trick is how to cut the manifold? I'm thinking of buying a sabre saw (bigggg jigsaw thing) to cut down the casting marks about 80mm from the mounting face. Then if all goes well, near my work there are places that can weld aluminium (plates to inlet). Then all thats left is to machine the front face where the TB's mount.

#38 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:27 PM

Well as I have 2 x RB26 heads I am using the RB26 manifold and making up an adaptor to change from the 26 throttle body bolt pattern to the DCOE pattern. The DCOE have a 90mm centre to centre for the throttle plates and with my weld on flange that I have (purchased from Tweakit.net in Sydney some time ago when I purchase the EFI hardware DCOE TB) there is next to nothing in the centre to centre of the standard 26 TB spacing it is the bolt holes that are different (maybe 91mm). So I have ordered my 5083 Alloy (read marine grade) plates today - 20mm thick x 120mm high x 200mm long (3 of them one for each TB)

I will see if I can find a pic of the little 26 manifold that I have/will be using for this task - as I have dropped of the manifold in question ready for the making of the flanges/adaptors.

#39 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:14 PM

here is pic from the Tomei Website which shows were their metal gaskets for the Rb26 head go. You will see the little manifold I will be using as the one that goes next to the head before the standard 26TB's

I hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2659_.gif

#40 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

I managed today to cut up the original plenum/inlet manifold of the RB25 with a sabre saw, was also surprised how quickly it got through it with minimal cursing! Its amazing how close the spacing is to my Redline triple DCOE manifold..Going to pickup the DCOE plates from EFI Hardware tomorrow to test fit and hopefully weld on then assemble the throttle bodies and linkages (which should be heaps of fun!!)

Nzeder, I thought you were going to use the same manifold but looks like we are going different directions to finish in the same place!

Yesterday I farewelled a nice motor; Monaroz picked up the L28 to fit in another Z engine bay...anyways, time to evolve the Zed!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2669_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users