RB25DE into 240Z Conversion.

Zedman240®

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry Nzeder, just for clarification, i assume ur using castlemain rodshop engine and gearbox mounts? is this with an rb25 gearbox?

Yes and no, yes to the engine mounts and no to the gear box mount as I did not what that big bulky gearbox mount so we are making a new one. Again I will be using an Energy Suspension captive/interlock type mount this time the chev gearbox mount. We are yet to make this mount will do this in the weekend. Gearbox is RB20DET unit.

Sorry NZeder, doubled up on one pic, one was meant to be this one.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the pic - that looks like Steve's RB30-ZED old car so I assume you are the new owner, that was an excellent purchase you could not build that car for the price he was asking. A very good and wise purchase indeed.

• Administrators

Sorry NZeder, doubled up on one pic, one was meant to be this one.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the pic - that looks like Steve's RB30-ZED old car so I assume you are the new owner, that was an excellent purchase you could not build that car for the price he was asking. A very good and wise purchase indeed.

Tell me about it, had I not been about to leave for an overseas trip, all the cash I had saved would have been splurged on buying that Z :). Great Zeds like that come up few and far between. I would have also considered buying Nigel's old Z (NR240) now Sexual Sushi's ride.

Hi NZeder, no prob's, sorry I'm not that mechanically minded to offer any more info. You're right in that I'm one of the Mexicans who stole Steve's Z, awesome ride. Getting some work done to it atm.

John

ill explain later. email is buggered, and the forum just spat out my last post and lost it!!!!!!!

or im losing it @ the pc!!!!

attached is the dwg of the throttle body flanges, forgot what you wanted me to do with them????

cheers nato

Cool - the bottom is a copy of the Tomei metal TB gasket which is larger than the actual manifold/TB as they diameter of the TB is 44m and 45mm at the manifold. In fact if you rotate a DCOE flange (ie the top one) it looks like the bolt holes are in the same location.

So basically I will make a single flange/adaptor that will bolt up to the RB26 manifold with counter sunk allen bolt this adaptor will also have the DCOE bolt pattern on it with the DCOE studs locktite in place. I will make the flange/adaptor 12mm-15mm thick.

Regards

Mike

if you need any help on this i have just got mine through VASS and i did all the fab and installing of my RB25det into my z and i mean everything and nothing was knocked back.... thank god at $845 bucks a visit ???

• Administrators

if you need any help on this i have just got mine through VASS and i did all the fab and installing of my RB25det into my z and i mean everything and nothing was knocked back.... thank god at $845 bucks a visit ???

Are you going to offer conversion parts? Engine mounts? gearbox mounts? sump modifications?

• Moderators

Hey Nzeder, are you using and modifying the RB26 inlet manifold or the RB25? I'm starting to cut up the RB25DE manifold. I've located water jet cut mounting plates for DCOE pattern carbs to weld to the runners of the RB25 manifold. Trick is how to cut the manifold? I'm thinking of buying a sabre saw (bigggg jigsaw thing) to cut down the casting marks about 80mm from the mounting face. Then if all goes well, near my work there are places that can weld aluminium (plates to inlet). Then all thats left is to machine the front face where the TB's mount.

Well as I have 2 x RB26 heads I am using the RB26 manifold and making up an adaptor to change from the 26 throttle body bolt pattern to the DCOE pattern. The DCOE have a 90mm centre to centre for the throttle plates and with my weld on flange that I have (purchased from Tweakit.net in Sydney some time ago when I purchase the EFI hardware DCOE TB) there is next to nothing in the centre to centre of the standard 26 TB spacing it is the bolt holes that are different (maybe 91mm). So I have ordered my 5083 Alloy (read marine grade) plates today - 20mm thick x 120mm high x 200mm long (3 of them one for each TB)

I will see if I can find a pic of the little 26 manifold that I have/will be using for this task - as I have dropped of the manifold in question ready for the making of the flanges/adaptors.

here is pic from the Tomei Website which shows were their metal gaskets for the Rb26 head go. You will see the little manifold I will be using as the one that goes next to the head before the standard 26TB's

I hope this helps.

post-104-144023487188_thumb.gif

• Moderators

I managed today to cut up the original plenum/inlet manifold of the RB25 with a sabre saw, was also surprised how quickly it got through it with minimal cursing! Its amazing how close the spacing is to my Redline triple DCOE manifold..Going to pickup the DCOE plates from EFI Hardware tomorrow to test fit and hopefully weld on then assemble the throttle bodies and linkages (which should be heaps of fun!!)

Nzeder, I thought you were going to use the same manifold but looks like we are going different directions to finish in the same place!

Yesterday I farewelled a nice motor; Monaroz picked up the L28 to fit in another Z engine bay...anyways, time to evolve the Zed!

post-801-144023487213_thumb.jpg

I managed today to cut up the original plenum/inlet manifold of the RB25 with a sabre saw, was also surprised how quickly it got through it with minimal cursing! Its amazing how close the spacing is to my Redline triple DCOE manifold..Going to pickup the DCOE plates from EFI Hardware tomorrow to test fit and hopefully weld on then assemble the throttle bodies and linkages (which should be heaps of fun!!)

Well done

Nzeder, I thought you were going to use the same manifold but looks like we are going different directions to finish in the same place!
nope the RB26 has different intake mounting setup so I have to use this little manifold first which does make it easier to make a bolt on adaptor. But your weld on setup will do the same thing :)

Yesterday I farewelled a nice motor; Monaroz picked up the L28 to fit in another Z engine bay...anyways, time to evolve the Zed!

I still have 3 x L28 and my original L26 + my RB30E and other RB26 head so I have lots of engines I just can't get rid of the old L6's in case I want to race the car in a different class that does not like the idea of the RB as a S20 replica or as close as I can get these days I don't have the 30+K for a real S20 engine.

Hot work zedman240.

you guys having some sort of race ?  ;D

if you knew my project you would not say that - it has been off the road for 10 years so far but there is light at the end of the tunnel now that I have the $$ to complete the project after selling my other zed.

• Moderators

Good news everyone, (just watched Futurama) I'm a happy little camper this afternoon, well anyone would be when you find out your RB20 sump and pickup arrived from Texas! A big thanks goes to Butch at Courtesy Nissan in Texas for getting it to me in about a week! The project is snowballing now!!!!

post-801-144023487421_thumb.jpg

Nice - I installed my sump the other week when I did the test install. I must say the rear sump looks a little small when on the block and sitting in place - if you look at the pic above you can make the sump larger from the first hump/raise to the rear there is that much room. See my earlier pics to see this. I am thinking that when the engine is removed so the engine bay can get painted I will have my nice new sump modified to extend the bowl and add a wing and trap door setup thing. Or I might just modify the standard front sump and sell this one on. Not sure yet.

:EDIT: oops did not post the pic I thought I had so here it is.

• Moderators

Hey Nzeder, I was going to ask you about modifications to the sump but you just answered it! It does look small but I was going to try it anyways and just as a precaution, overfill the oil by about 1/2 litre or so when I do a circuit event. My old L28 never had a modified sump and I also overfilled slightly and never had an issue.

Zedevan, all up cost including shipping was $US400 (sump/oil strainer)

You will also spot the GQ Patrol sump I put on ebay!

That sounds about right for the sump. Locally Nissan NZ wanted around $600 for sump and pickup. I got mine from the US too. But I got mine via a friend in the US as the guy I got mine from (http://www.nissanpart.cc) would not sell to an international purchaser but his price was the best $149 USD. So I collected when I was in the US on business from my friend so I was lucky it cost me under $200 USD for the sump, pickup and o-ring as shipping was via my suit case.

• Moderators

More progress to report on... Tonight oil strainer and sump went on, dipstick moved to the rear and manifold was machined (after my hacking away with a saw by hand!) and dropped off to be welded together. I was concerned a little when they welder told me "hope you are not expecting it this week!" How long do you expect to be? I'm sure I'll let the forum know...I think while the engine is on the stand, it would be wise to do a cam belt/idler pulleys. Knowing my luck, you install the engine and then you are greeted by a whining sound from the front of the engine you just cant work out where it's from.....

post-801-144023487516_thumb.jpg

post-801-144023487529_thumb.jpg