aircobra

240Z Still Too Cheap?

Fairlady S30Z just went to auctions at Shannons and got to $45k.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2018-shannons-melbourne-late-summer-classic-auction/UC8AKA6P68945VC0/

I consider it not bad, given it's custom modifications, the fact that most of Joe Public has no idea what a Fairlady Z vs 240z is and the fact that you'll still want to fix a few things on it.

Frank originally wanted to get close to $45k for it, so it's good to see it got that at auction! Although the buyer has to pay an auction fee and probably Frank also.

I'm glad it went over $40k, at anything around mid 30's I would have been tempted.

Now $20+ for the rusty WA 260 and everyone’s kicked a goal. Good result.

If there is another GFC I suspect the values of collector cars might fall again. You can't live in/eat a 240Z.

That can't happen, the bankers fixed everything so that we can never see that kind of crash happen again. All that Dodd Frank regulation is Iron clad!

But on a serious note, if you buy classic cars using leverage then I guess you'll be forced to sell. But if you buy it with cash outright and hold you'll be fine. Like any asset class I suppose it's the margin call that gets you, or in the case of the mega mortgaged chumps it's that negative equity that kills ya.

You can't eat / live in a bitcoin, or gold, (can't eat a house) etc.. But I take your point. I just prefer physical assets.

not convinced?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camden/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911t-1971-sunroof-coupe-australian-delivered-project/1175706737?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=LF-cars

really?

a 240 in that shape would not fetch more then 20k ( like the green one that was on eaby)

this bloke spent $25 just on body and paint

the 911T (cheapo model) and the Z would be neck to neck in performance

1970 Datsun 240Z vs. 1970 Porsche 911T- Back in 1970, $3,500 was real money, about the equivalent of $21,000 today. $7,000 was closer to $43,000 in 2016. That’s what the Datsun 240Z and Porsche 911T cost. It’s not very debatable that the Z was superior to its immediate competitors from Great Britain and Italy, but how did it stack up against a Porsche that cost twice as much? Pretty well as it turns out. The 911T (or “touring”) was the lowest spec 911 in horsepower and equipment with 125 hp from 2.2 liters of air-cooled flat six. It was good for 0-60 in around nine seconds. The Z with its husky 2.4-liter straight-six making 150 hp could run 0-60 in either 7.8 seconds or 8.7 seconds depending on whether you were a Car and Driver or Road & Track reader. Top speed on both cars was about 120 mph. In terms of reliability, the two were pretty closely matched, both cars were carbureted, simple and fairly well sorted. In built quality, it wasn’t close. The Z was clearly built to a price with lots of cheap plastic and tinny, not well insulated sheet metal. The Porsche was well, a Porsche. But with long hood 911 prices officially crossing the insane threshold and early Z prices simply moderately eye-popping at the moment, the Z over 911 argument is just as compelling today as it was in 1970.

Having been in both, I prefer the 240z but then again I'm biased. I see the appeal of 911s but I just prefer the look of S30z's and the engine in the right spot. Ergonomically the 911s are strange with their offset pedals. I find the 240z very user friendly in comparison.

It's a shame more S30z's are not restored at the level of that Blue 911 on Gumtree.. I think there is a market for it, a small market but it is a growing 1.

Send it to Singer and fabricate your new Porsche owners name in preparation for your up and coming Petrolicious video. My name is Kurht Getshardt and I drive a 1971 Porsche 911t.

That whole series should be renamed Pretentious. Some nice cars but the owners are definitely drinking their bath water.

If the market was based upon scarcity and lower build numbers.

Weren't there less 260Z's? So they should be more expensive  ???

But no.

240Z's are seen to be the original and best, so command the premium price. 

No the 240Z are not cheap anymore, it's all depend on what angle you look at.

I have a love hate relationship with these classic cars, the amount of money and time you poor into these thing and the amount of usage you get out of it sometimes is very frustrating.

At the moment if you have some money for a toy, I would buy a 10 year old sport cars. I bought a $15K  2007 mx5 NC and use it once or twice a week and occasionally bring it to the track and do 30 laps in it and drive home only thing needed done was filling up the petrol tank. You can look at a 350Z or whatever else tickle your fancy.

Why pay north of 100K for a 911T when you can pick up a 2007 Cayman or Boxster S for 40K if you are Porsche inclined.

Why pay north of 100K for a 911T when you can pick up a 2007 Cayman or Boxster S for 40K if you are Porsche inclined.

Chalk and cheese compared to the earlier cars I reckon. I also told my missus if I ever consider those cars to tell me I'm going through a mid-life crisis.

Yes, once it gets into the exclusive market pricing makes no sense so trying to rationalise such prices is an exercise in pointlessness.

Agree with hmd about 10 year old sports cars. A non registerable 370Z came up for sale recently, maybe not 10 years old but at $15K with lots of track goodies it was priced in that area. I would have snapped it up but for having two older project cars, keep the engine revs down and off you go. Really S30's are getting too expensive to race now when the alternatives are considered.

Chalk and cheese compared to the earlier cars I reckon. I also told my missus if I ever consider those cars to tell me I'm going through a mid-life crisis.

Owning 4 Z dictates that you are in a very long running mid-life crisis :)

I bought a $15K  2007 mx5 NC and use it once or twice a week and occasionally bring it to the track and do 30 laps in it and drive home only thing needed done was filling up the petrol tank. You can look at a 350Z or whatever else tickle your fancy.

Buying my (third) MX5 was the best thing I've done for my S30 project and my sanity. I just wish I didn't buy such a clean early NA. Can't bring myself to modify it at all. Still, lots of fun turning the key and dropping the roof whenever it takes my fancy. 

Caymans and Boxters are the modern day 944s/ 928s comparatively with 911/ GT3. They are the mutant stepchild to the elite.

Buying my (third) MX5 was the best thing I've done for my S30 project and my sanity.

Yep I've been constantly questioning my sanity with the time and money I poured into my 240z.

Well what's the point in buying a 67 Mustang Fastback GT350 or GT500? When you can go out and buy the new Mustang? Or why buy an old VW Bus (split screen kombi) when you can get a modern van that does everything better? The reason you do it is because it's iconic, nothing worth doing in life is ever easy, that includes restoring, fixing and maintaining old cars. I actually enjoy the working on the car part almost more than driving them. Just wish I had more time available to dedicate to it.

Well what's the point in buying a 67 Mustang Fastback GT350 or GT500? When you can go out and buy the new Mustang? Or why buy an old VW Bus (split screen kombi) when you can get a modern van that does everything better? The reason you do it is because it's iconic, 

of course, couldn't agree more with this.

But at a certain price point it become unattractive. Hypothetically if the 240z is 3 times the price of a 2000 FD rx7 and you only have room to buy one which one would you buy?

of course, couldn't agree more with this.

But at a certain price point it become unattractive. Hypothetically if the 240z is 3 times the price of a 2000 FD rx7 and you only have room to buy one which one would you buy?

S30Z - That's why I have 4 of them and 1 FD. I'm an S30Z nut for life.

Although both seem to be appreciating in value quite rapidly lately... the FD is actually more expensive to maintain and harder to work on (parts are not cheap!), I like the mechanical simplicity of the S30Z's. Insurance is much more expensive (along with yearly registration) in the FD.

Purpose is very relevant, restoring a car for the sake of restoring it and the rewards that may bring is quite different to fixing up/maintaining a car that will be used regularly. Once you get involved in a project then to see it through takes time and money, often all of which you have to spare. I think that for most of us it's the time taken which is the problem particularly with a track car. If you are building it then you can't race it so a second less demanding car makes a lot of sense.

Old cars are definitely harder to drive, slower, and less comfortable than new ones, but that is not why we drive them. It is because they are so much more involving, with different sounds and smells. Every old car drives so much differently to the next, where as most new cars are so easy to drive, it doesn't make much difference what you are in. 

My daily driver is an Audi S5. It is so much faster, more comfortable and more capable than my Z will ever be, but it won't be anywhere near as much fun, and it doesn't turn my head when I walk away like an old Z will.

One of the other reasons I got interested in old cars, is that I like making them my own, and I was sick of pouring money down the drain. So many newer cars, you can spend so much on to make them your own, and then when you go to sell it, it is worth less than what you paid for it in the first place, forget about the money spent on mods. Classics you can buy, drive, enjoy, and when it is time for the next experience you can often sell it for what you have into it or more.

Classic cars are so much better for me all round.