Warren Waste Of Time Potter (All Z Parts)

JDM-TOY

So as a business owner you are supposed to give away your time, intellectual property and any profit margin on parts that you have bought/ payed tax on import duty and so on just to appease a tight arse “car enthusiast “. Sounds good. How’s this, if you can’t afford it don’t waste other people’s time trying to low ball them . It’s insulting.

Many decades ago, Warren bought/accquired the left over new stock from Nissan Australia, he only got items for the Z cars, and the Aroadster convertibles.

He does not source parts, never has.

It is a matter of what he can remember he has, and if he can find it, in his very large jumbled shed.

He is not there full time, but turns up a few days a week, a few hours at a time.

Just like the Roadster guy in Victoria, that most gets parts from.

Many of the Roadster parts were bought in some large qty's from him, and that went into the various States Roadster clubs's "New Stock arts" a lot of which, still exists today, and is often advertised.

Last I heard, he "guessed" his SAV ( stock at value) of the contents of his shed, at $120,000, when he was approached by a long time mate, and ex SSS Automotive guy, who set up Z-16 Auto Parts, in the late 1980's

The original cost would have been 1/20th of that, from Nissan Parts, as it was all obsolete.

If you wish to denigrate him, and cast abuse about, then piss off, and go buy your parts from the USA, and get arse-raped over freight costs and exchange rates.

If he was genuine he wouldn't mess people around.

And if car owners were genuine they wouldn't mess suppliers around either. Ha, wishful thinking.

I don't know if he deals in MSA parts or not. Maybe the patch panels on eBay. But so far everything I've bought from him has been Nissan-packaged.

Whether it's NOS from donkeys'-years ago, or newer, I don't care and it's none of my business how long he has sat on it for.

Each time I've checked USA prices and taking the exchange rate into account plus rapacious USA shipping costs and any taxes that might be levied I've been quite happy to pay his price, and received it within a week.

No complaints my end, I'll no doubt continue to buy from him. I'm just pleased he's around.

Anyone who wants it all their own way can jump online and order in from the USA, have fun!

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

Interesting how heated this has become, as I stated earlier everything I've ordered via Warren on eBay has arrived promptly and in Nissan OEM packaging. No complaints. I've heard others have had to wait a long time. I think this is just part of dealing with S30Z's in this country, you've got to be a bit resourceful and willing to work a bit harder to get parts than say with a newer car.

I personally try to avoid buying items on eBay from the US due to the hideous shipping costs. That's why I have a point of contact in the US to ship items to, I've been lucky in that my work has taken me to the West Coast a few times now and I've collected them and brought them back in my suitcase.

I definitely think there is a gap in the market here for a supplier, but there is challenges with that and I honestly think you would find it hard to survive as a full time business.

I've tried to grab parts from the US at a good price to sell here at times, and often I get 1 or 2 comments of how expensive they are.. some parts are still sitting there. I refuse to give them away. I think I've got more Rally Clocks than fingers now, I guess not everyone see's the value in certain parts the way I do. Fair enough.

But imagine having half a mil worth of inventory sitting there and trying to flog it off for profit? Most wouldn't bother and would have sold up years ago. Much easier ways of making money.

I've often wondered how Phil's Rotary's has done it, they reproduce loads of early rotary car parts that are NLA or mega expensive. Much harder to find parts for those cars than S30Z's I'd imagine.

No heat here. Prior planning prevents piss poor performance. If I see something on my car I would like to attend to in the future I order it now whilst I am not in terrible need and know it will show up and I have it when I need it. That’s how you work with Warren. Simple.

• Administrators

That's how I work with all my S30Z's and FD RX-7 anyway... for example right now I'm doing a brake rebuild on my FD RX-7, however I am rebuilding a spare set of calipers off the car, so the car is not immobile. With the 240z's I order bits in and know there will always be a wait.

• Administrators

It makes me warm and fuzzy when I get OEM packaging with the part number stickers. I save them like footy cards.

dbsmc071-img600x450-1460633202uzpq0w11030.jpg

9ocazw71hs4qb.jpg

z3kocdt2fns18.jpg

Can you imagine how upset I was when I bought this item and I didn't get the box? It even had the Rally Clock part no. on it.

Funny thing is it was presented as NOS but when I got it, it wasn't working.. Had to restore it. Go figure..but yes I love the NOS boxes too!

Hey all, there is no proper argument here unless I'm involved. And I'm not lol. On shipping costs from the US, what has developed is that a lot of US sellers are over charging us to make extra profit, this is a trend that has developed over the last few years. Ebay US have their own shipping programme which cuts costs considerably but not all sellers use it.

The S30 community is lucky to have someone like Warren who had the foresight to buy up NOS which otherwise would have ended up dumped, as so much was. Complain all you want about his service but just remember if it wasn't for him looking ahead there would be no one to complain about.

Yes I think this conversation has run its course. Been interesting though.

If Warren is looking clear some more of his stock I wish he'd put more up on eBay, I'm happily collecting and putting NOS stuff away in anticipation of a restoration sometime down the track.

But posting stuff up and then monitoring it and dealing with sales takes an inordinate amount of time, as Gav has testified with his buttons. :)

Edited by gilltech

You guys whinging about getting parts, just be thankful you weren't trying to get parts for a Valiant. It's only been the last ten years or so that there has been more than one supplier of repro parts and the businesses that were doing second hand parts are much smaller now if still operating. Even now there are three main businesses selling repro parts and a couple of shops that still have some second parts left as they all dry up. It took me two years to find a 265 block that wasn't already at maximum overbore for my charger that I didn't have to sell both my kidneys and a lung for. 15 years ago 265 blocks could be bought for a slab of beer, hell I used to buy VE valiants for $50 in the late 90's.

Simple things like torsion bars can take up to 18 months to get from suppliers here as there is very little demand, so they don't keep stock and rely on the US manufacturers to make them when the demand for the small body cars in the US is great enough.

I have known Warren for many years also through my association with Z16 and I also have had dealings both in a business and social sense with pretty much every one who had a specialty Datsun workshop on the east coast. Whilst most of the guys are still around, Warren is still the only one who really deals in parts and the volume of business for the last 20 years or so for Warren has meant it has become part time for him. Shit, the poor bloke still needs to make a quid and live, so if it takes a while to get a bit, or if he doesn't answer the phone because he is doing something more important to him than selling someone a $50 widget, suck it up princess.

The others if they still going, like Stew Wilkins, are more into the mechanical side or supplying performance parts.

Warren has had the same service for over 30 years. His health hasn't been the best at times and as he has helped me out with my zeds and other Datsuns over the years I cut him a fair bit of slack., Plus tight arse Datsun owners used to frustrate everyone in the industry, and it looks like a lot of them haven't changed. And I thought Valiant owners were bad.

• Administrators

Well I just ordered some parts for my FD RX-7 earlier in the week and Mazda is telling me there is a month wait!

When people balk at prices of restored S30Z's and throw out some number as to what it would cost to restore such a car, they are ignoring all the nitty gritty details of a restoration, that is time, time spent ordering fiddly little bits and sourcing parts and fixing / restoring them, delays because something isn't ready or done or simply NLA etc..

Something to be said for buying a car already restored. My point is restoring cars such as these takes patience and to be honest if Warren takes his time (because this is a part time gig) I think that's ok. So long as you do get your parts in the end that is.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 2.46.08 PM.png