Which Fuel Pump For L28 Fitted With Early 240Z Su Carbs?

LLN260Z

Hey

I bought a 260z with a L28 engine. Previous owner fitted a Holley 4160 carby and it is not running well at all. It has a holley fuel pump currently fitted.

I bought a set of early 240z su carbs to get the car running right again.

Due to the change of pump, what pump do I get and from where?

Located in Melbourne

I’d recommend you go with the standard mechanical pump. They work great with minimal fuss.

Just make sure you have the fuel pump actuating cam on the front of the camshaft. You can see this when you lift the cam cover off, it’s in front of the cam chain sprocket.

In saying that, there’s no reason you wouldn’t be able to get the Holley gear working well. Others have good reports from the Holley carb.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Cozza

4160 Holley on a 2.8L  :o

I had a 600cfm  on a Valiant Pacer, which is a 4.3L. And it was too big for that sized engine. Ended up going to the smaller 465cfm which drove heaps better!

The Holley pump is more than likely a low pressure high volume pump and should be more than capable of running triples, let alone twin's.

Just go back to stock as others have suggested, so much easier otherwise one mod leads to another then another and if things don't work you just don't know where you are, no workshop manual to go by...

In addition to the stock type fuel pump you'll also need the metal fuel supply & return line setup. Hopefully someone on here can help you with that.

Just go back to stock as others have suggested, so much easier otherwise one mod leads to another then another and if things don't work you just don't know where you are, no workshop manual to go by...

In addition to the stock type fuel pump you'll also need the metal fuel supply & return line setup. Hopefully someone on here can help you with that.

I had a look at all these stuff, I am starting to go blank on this whole install.

Currently I have a set of early 240z su carbs, manifolds, choke cable, holley fuel pump(I think red which is 7psi).

I dont have linkages between su carbs and firewall, air filters, mech fuel pump, also dont believe I have return fuel lines.

- Since the 260z came with the electric pumps, do i remove that fully and put mech pump?

- or put a lower pressure electric pump and no mech fuel pump?

- or lower pressure electric pump, mech pump, return lines?

Is there someone in northern suburbs of melbourne (preferably closer to craigieburn) that I can take the car as is to get it all fitted and tuned right?

So I have ordered a holley fuel reg and a guage. I have got the fuel lines for the carbs and also figured out the fuel supply and return lines.

The metal lines are pretty rusty, what can I do to get them nice looking again?

The existing linkage i have there goes right into the su carbs as shown in pic, what can I do to get the two working?

When I get the fuel reg, should I set it to max 4psi?

post-107128-0-76506000-1518849234_thumb.jpeg

post-107128-0-69692000-1518849259_thumb.jpeg

I'd suggest 2.5 psi to start with, the carbs are old and over pressure of fuel may/will cause issues with seals.

I will be getting the carbs rebuilt at Wilson Carburettors in airport west. So hopefully that will eliminate that issue.

Where can I get linkages from?

Unless you fabricate something, second hand is the way to go. Posting here for what you need is a great start but I recommend you keep searching at places like AllzParts and try calling SWMotorsport. Stewart often has parts or knows where to find them.

Are you trying to build your car back to its original glory? If not, you could always move to a cable setup. TBH a cable is probably a better system with all the play that happens over time when using the linkages.

Cheers

I will try those places out. So pretty much what I need to get is a linkage from firewall to carb. Since the current one is in the correct position.

Getting the car back to its original glory and on the road then driving it and see what I want to change about it. But the original feeling is important to know first.