John

Hello John,

I read the tutorial that Gavin has linked to in his reply.

The tutorial says that rebuild kits may still be available in Australia - so I tried my local Nissan dealer and they can't supply them.

I could not find a suitable Nikki pump on eBay to use as the tutorial recommends.

I ended up buying one of these fuel pumps for $64 (including shipping);

Mechanical Fuel Pump GMB 550-8040 fits 70-73 Nissan 240Z 2.4L-L6

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mechanical-Fuel-Pump-GMB-550-8040-fits-70-73-Nissan-240Z-2-4L-L6/232529564497?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

It is virtually identical to the Nikki pump, so you could use it as is, or as a donor to rebuild your original.

I might just use it with the Nikki top cover.

Edited by GongZ

Hi GongZ,

Yes the info from Gav gave me the confidence to purchase a similar pump last night.

I really only want the donor internal parts as I will retain the original base and top. Re originality I think it should have the part number "271070" and "Made in Japan Nikki" on the sides of the base, that's what mine has! of course I could be completely wrong.

I'm only new to Z's but have played with other cars and originality is what's valued longer term.

Thanks to everyone who has assisted, much appreciated.

John

• Administrators

Let us know how you get on, I've only read the thread but not attempted it yet myself.

I've found my fuel pump (on the 72 240z) to have Atsugi on it instead. It seems to keep up with the Triple Mikuni's fine.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/50679-rebuilding-the-nikki-fuel-pump/?do=findComment&comment=509423

I have to check the others I have though!

... I've found my fuel pump (on the 72 240z) to have Atsugi on it instead. ...

The Nikki pump that I have came with an engine I bought recently.

I retrieved the original fuel pump from my 9/73 240Z from storage today and it is also an 'Atsugi' brand with 'M13' stamped into the top cover.

post-101663-0-26522200-1516177728_thumb.jpg

Just to add a bit more....These photos are of a pump that I bought from an Australian seller on eBay...it is identical to the one on my car , a late 1973 car, but no way of knowing if that is the original pump.

Then I found this on eBay today......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240z-260z-Kyosan-Denki-Fuel-Pump-JAPAN-Original-VERY-RARE-NOS/272305716553?hash=item3f66af7d49:g:7KEAAOSwstxU36PI

I paid about $60 for the one that I have but I cant find a record of who the seller was...it came in a Goss fuel pump box

post-101020-0-17466200-1516243994_thumb.jpg

post-101020-0-08101000-1516244008_thumb.jpg

Just to add a bit more....These photos are of a pump that I bought from an Australian seller on eBay...it is identical to the one on my car , a late 1973 car, but no way of knowing if that is the original pump.

Then I found this on eBay today......

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240z-260z-Kyosan-Denki-Fuel-Pump-JAPAN-Original-VERY-RARE-NOS/272305716553?hash=item3f66af7d49:g:7KEAAOSwstxU36PI

I paid about $60 for the one that I have but I cant find a record of who the seller was...it came in a Goss fuel pump box

attachicon.giffuel pump 1.jpg

attachicon.giffuel pump 2.jpg

Well spotted - I'm certain that Kyosan Denki supplied pumps for US cars - I'm unsure if they ever appeared in our (Aus) cars from the factory.

Either way - at the time they would have been readily available as replacements, if not here then in the US certainly.

Just depends on how particular you want to be with regard to originality :)

Hi There,

Thought I'd have a look at my other cars.

2 have electric pumps and another is in storage in the country and I can't see from the photos what it has. More than likely original as that's why I bought that car. Its a 1973 so not likely to have a Nikki pump.

Certainly these cars lent themselves to be modified as for most cars this old.

My Orange car though is a 8/1971 build and has been in storage since 1995 so little has changed in that time. This is the car with the Nikki pump that is subject to my forum enquiry.

The pump I've bought is coming from Thailand. It seems a lot of parts for these cars originate in Thailand?

I'll keep the forum informed of my progress.

thanks

John

Hi There,

Thought I'd have a look at my other cars.

2 have electric pumps and another is in storage in the country and I can't see from the photos what it has. More than likely original as that's why I bought that car. Its a 1973 so not likely to have a Nikki pump.

Certainly these cars lent themselves to be modified as for most cars this old.

My Orange car though is a 8/1971 build and has been in storage since 1995 so little has changed in that time. This is the car with the Nikki pump that is subject to my forum enquiry.

The pump I've bought is coming from Thailand. It seems a lot of parts for these cars originate in Thailand?

I'll keep the forum informed of my progress.

thanks

John

The vast majority (possibly all, can't think of any exceptions!) of suppliers for original equipment were Japanese. Thailand are prolific manufacturers of non-oem parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Finally got some resolution to the NIKKI fuel pump dilemma.

I received a new pump with the components to rebuild my old NIKKI, this all worked fine until I put it in the car. The pump did not work.

I eventually found that I was not getting any fuel from the fuel tank. I blew compressed air into the fuel lines to no avail.

When I bought the car I removed all the old fuel about 25 litres and replaced this with fresh fuel.

With no real answers I eventually succumbed to removing the tank. Emptying the tank I found the fresh petrol was black then orange. I managed to get out about 25 litres.

On removing the tank straps I found that there was even more fuel in the tank, another 25 litres.

The fuel was saturated with black tar like substance and orange looking crystals a bit like sugar.

A little reading and apparently this is what happens to old fuel.

I also read that caustic soda in hot water breaks down this substance at a molecular level. I also read that the mechanical breakdown of the really hard material in the bottom of the tank could be achieved by placing old chain and off cuts of steel and old bolts into the tank and shacking it about. What I found was that there was a thick layer of black to orange material in the bottom of the tank subsequently blocking the fuel pickup pipe.

About 7 hours later and at least three soakings with Caustic soda in hot water and much shacking about I managed to finally obtain free flow through the fuel pickup. Yes it nearly killed me.

With this all apart I now have a painted tank and straps and new fuel lines and breather hoses installed.

For the final clean I left the tank out in the sun over the weekend to dry out and found more orange material loose in the tank, so I placed the chain back in the tank dry and chock it all about to loosen any other material. Once happy I removed all the loose material.

The tank is now back in the car and today after 32 years the car started. Sounds wonderful.

The attached photos show a sample of what I removed from the fuel tank. The orange material is not rust its old fuel.

I hope this helps others with cars that have sat around for a long time to sort out their fuel pump problems.

Cheers

Johnpost-106828-0-03261200-1517470225_thumb.jpgpost-106828-0-10746400-1517470243_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The Nikki pump that I have came with an engine I bought recently.

I retrieved the original fuel pump from my 9/73 240Z from storage today and it is also an 'Atsugi' brand with 'M13' stamped into the top cover.

attachicon.gif Atsumi M13 fuel pump.jpg

Nikki supplied fuel pumps on the earlier models, up to around late 71. Very late 71 and onward were Atsugi.

(AUS 240z models)

Going through photos the other day, I noticed my 73 240z's engine had a Nikki pump on it. Which I assume is it's original pump. (Engine no. photo attached).

IMG_20140104_193142.jpg

IMG_20140415_182736.jpg

Going through photos the other day, I noticed my 73 240z's engine had a Nikki pump on it. Which I assume is it's original pump. (Engine no. photo attached).

Possible - but likely taken from a wrecked earlier car. Have not seen or heard of a Nikki on anything other than 70/71 before. Suggest the outlier remains the outlier until it's no longer an outlier ;)

• 3 months later...