7 replies to this topic

#1 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

I have a problem with my steering column hitting my dash and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Now I have installed a 260Z dash in my 240Z, but thought the dash and column positions and height would be the same. I bolted my steering column straight up to the pedal box with the 4 bolts. It all mounted fine. Now with the dash in something is clearly not quite right. I can't mount the lock on the column because it hits the dash.

Does the column mount straight to the pedal box or should there be a space in between them to bring the column down a bit?

Greg

Attached Thumbnails

• 240zsteeringcolumn.jpg

#2 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

The column bolts down to the floor/bulkhead with 4 bolts, and to the underside of the dash/box structure with 2 bolts, using an ear bracket with slotted holes IIRC???

#3 zeds4ever

zeds4ever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Tagline:Old Member

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

The bottom bolt section allows provision for the column to have slight angle changes , the top section has provision to adjust the angle of the column slightly, these two securing bolts pass thru the dash base & assist in securing/stabilizing the dash itself . Suggest you fit igntn/lock unit prior to bolting up these two top bolts as you can then adjust the column to suit your needs for clearance purposes . Hope this helps .

Gavin might best be able to answer if the dash is ok for 240Z fitment .

Regards : Alan. 

#4 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for info. So I've bolted the column up to the pedal box as it should be.

I know that flat bit that flat plate under the dash with two bolt holes in it, it's the plate that was hanging down way too low to clear the pedal box and so I had to to chop it off. :( It was a long way down. I wonder whether the earlier pedal box is a little different to the later box.

The 260 dash was a basket case and badly cracked along the top which is why I was ok with chopping it. Plenty of fibrefill went into the top of it to make it more presentable

It's possible the cuts outs for the roll cage are not large enough on the rear and so the roll cage is forcing the dash down a bit. Perhaps that's why the gap between the dash and console is angled and not even?

Attached Thumbnails

• 260Z dashin240.jpg

Edited by GregTas, 13 December 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#5 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Ah so there's more to it. So how is the column bolted in now?

Q. Did the 260 dash just bolt in using the 240 fixing points? I didn't think the two types were interchangeable, but maybe they are using a mix of brackets?

#6 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

The column is mounted hard up to the underside of the pedal box with the four bolts. I think this is how it should be.

The metal plate under the 260z dash with the two mounting bolt holes sat about 20-25mm below the pedal box and so had to be chopped out.so I could bolt the column up to the pedal box It makes me think the 260 column is meant to sit the 20mm or so lower than the 240 column.

I chopped out the dash a bit more around the roll cage bar and it did not help.

Now I can put a spacer, perhaps 10mm or so between the column and pedal box to lower it if I have to but would like to get it as close as possible to where it should be.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dashtopmounting.jpg
  • 240 steering column.jpg

#7 600Z

600Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

Would you be better of putting a 260Z pedal box and column in if they fit?
To my way of thinking the 260Z column is certainly stronger, just a thought.

Justin

#8 GregTas

GregTas

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Reasonable suggestion and I could have possibly got hold of the 260Z stuff, but unfortunately not really an option for me as my pedal box is modified to take dual brake cylinders.

I've done some more more around the cage and got it up a bit better. I feel the dash is now up where it should be, but the column is still too high. I think I'll drop the column down 10mm or so. Seems wrong but the 260z one must sit lower, unless the lock just mounts pointed down a bit.

Brake cylinders

260Z dash end

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users