#1 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 29 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi all, Just wondering what the life of the Crane XR700 ignition units would be. I couldn't get the Z to go a couple of weeks ago and finally narrowed it down to the crane ignition unit. Ordered a new one from Outlaw Speed Shop in SA and it arrived o'night in the post. Have just swapped it over and away she goes. The original unit is about six years old. To be on the safe side I just ordered another unit to keep in the boot for a spare. Would hate to be away somewhere and have it fail again.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3783.JPG

#2 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hi Peter,
I have had a crane XR700 on my car since 2004. I always keep the points and condenser in the glove compartment as spares just in case. (It's an easy swap out).
Always remember with the XR700 to use the coil resistor or it will burn out. The XR7000 can be used without the resistor.
Happy motoring
David.
  • peter t likes this

#3 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Tagline:Datsun obsessed

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

I realise this gives you electronic ignition but are there other benefits to the XR700 over say a pertronix kit?
  • peter t likes this

#4 Ponyo240z

Ponyo240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

I have used the XR700 kit on 2 minis for road driving and it works great.
  • peter t likes this

#5 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hi Peter,
I have had a crane XR700 on my car since 2004. I always keep the points and condenser in the glove compartment as spares just in case. (It's an easy swap out).
Always remember with the XR700 to use the coil resistor or it will burn out. The XR7000 can be used without the resistor.
Happy motoring
David.

Hi David, yes mate I use the ballast resistor and a Bosh GT40R coil. Has never given me any trouble but the other week it just died. I have ordered a spare unit to shove in the glove box. The optical pick up in the dissy is still ok so I will have a complete spare unit.

Peter T.

#6 krizza

krizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Tagline:Kris

Posted 30 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

I realise this gives you electronic ignition but are there other benefits to the XR700 over say a pertronix kit?

Cozza, my personal experience with the Pertronix was disapointing. I initially replaced my points with a Pertronix kit (the original not the adaptive dwell version) but found that the spark would break down over ~4k rpm. I tested the dwell and found that it was 24 degrees, and I suspected that this wasn't enough to charge the coil at high rpm. After replacing the coil it was still an issue, and after contacting Pertronix who told me that the dwell figure was correct, I modified the Pertronix unit to get as much dwell as I could which ended up being 28 degrees by drilling out the two rivets and moving the pickup as far away from the magnet as I could while still getting a signal. This was better but still not perfect and I still had ignition breakdown at higher revs. When I would swap back to points and set the timing and dwell to factory specs the car ran perfectly.

I eventually gave up and swapped to a Crane XR700 a few months ago. I could not be happier with the Crane unit, it works perfectly.

• peter t likes this

#7 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

Cozza, my personal experience with the Pertronix was disapointing. I initially replaced my points with a Pertronix kit (the original not the adaptive dwell version) but found that the spark would break down over ~4k rpm. I tested the dwell and found that it was 24 degrees, and I suspected that this wasn't enough to charge the coil at high rpm. After replacing the coil it was still an issue, and after contacting Pertronix who told me that the dwell figure was correct, I modified the Pertronix unit to get as much dwell as I could which ended up being 28 degrees by drilling out the two rivets and moving the pickup as far away from the magnet as I could while still getting a signal. This was better but still not perfect and I still had ignition breakdown at higher revs. When I would swap back to points and set the timing and dwell to factory specs the car ran perfectly.

I eventually gave up and swapped to a Crane XR700 a few months ago. I could not be happier with the Crane unit, it works perfectly.

I don't have any issues with the XR700 except it died after about 6 years. I have purchased a new XR700 and the car goes again and revs out quite well. As far as I want to take it anyway My car is a 75 2+2 and I have the unit wired up as per the following mud map if you can follow it.  The question I have is this the same as other people have their units wired up. It is not as per instructions but is the only way the car will run. Again how does this compare.

Cheers Peter.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3784.JPG

#8 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

I've had a similar experience with an aftermarket electronic ignition system deciding itself whether it will go to work or stay home that day, hence I always keep a new set of good old points and condenser in the glovebox just in case. Saved me one time with the Zed when I was 150 miles away from home.

• peter t likes this

#9 Retro Z

Retro Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Tagline:73' 240z and 72’ 240z

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

I had issues with Petronix aswell. Didnt want to rev pass 4500rpm with the triples and hard to start. Changed to the MSD digital 6al2 with blaster coil and it now starts like its EFI and revs to 7000rpm with no fuss. Highly recommend an ignition box over Pertronix.
  • peter t likes this

#10 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 10:19 PM

Sounds like there is a lot of support but what do they actually do that’s different or better than the other products.
What does the box do?

#11 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

You may have missed the point. I am looking to see if I have the XR700 wired correctly. See mud map below. Is this how your XR700 is wired up if you are running one of them.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3783.JPG
  • IMG_3784.JPG

#12 krizza

krizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Tagline:Kris

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:58 PM

You may have missed the point. I am looking to see if I have the XR700 wired correctly. See mud map below. Is this how your XR700 is wired up if you are running one of them.

Hi Peter, the diagram you have posted looks fine to me and seems to reflect the basic wiring diagram supplied with the unit. I am running an internally ballasted coil (Bosch GT40) and have deleted the ballast resistor, but mine is wired the same way.

• peter t likes this

#13 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

Hello Peter,

My wiring is a bit different than yours. 1976 260z RHD wiring diagram.

Green/White goes to the resister.

Black/White goes to the other end of the resister ( This is the one that has power when the key is in the on position)

Second Black/white goes to positive + on the coil.

The XR700 is as you have it in the diagram.

David.

• peter t likes this

#14 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

Hi David,

If I wire as per your car, my Tacho doesn't work but car still runs.

Readings as per my way as follows with motor running.

B/W in rest  14v

B/W out rest 8v

- coil Y 5v

+coil R/GW 8v

Resistor is very,very hot. is this normal?    

Peter.

#15 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Hi Peter, Resistor will get hot. This is normal. Your wiring may have been modified. If it's working leave it alone. I will see if I can put a picture of the 1976 RHD wiring diagram up.

#16 Cozza

Cozza

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

Could the difference in the wiring of your 2 cars be due to different types of tach’s?
I think I have read that some tach’s work by measuring voltage and others measure current.
Someone else will be able to elaborate on this or, tell me I’m making it up 😁
  • peter t likes this

#17 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 06:51 PM

I have the standard 1975 Datsun tach.  My mates 76Z is wired the same as Enzo's. As far as I can see my wiring is normal as if you change the wires about they don't reach their terminals. The 5v on the coil- is the worring point as my mate has 9.6 on coil plus and 8.4 on coil -  with engine running. Maybe I should not worry as engine goes OK the way it is.

#18 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

I had issues with Petronix aswell. Didnt want to rev pass 4500rpm with the triples and hard to start. Changed to the MSD digital 6al2 with blaster coil and it now starts like its EFI and revs to 7000rpm with no fuss. Highly recommend an ignition box over Pertronix.

So what dizzy do you use with this set up? Cheers.

• Enzo likes this

#19 Enzo

Enzo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:14 PM

260z Rhd wiring
1976 260z RHD electrical diagram. I can't remember were I got it, so unfortunately can't pass on the credit.

• peter t likes this

#20 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

Thanks David, I have an old book that is nearly fallen apart and it shows the wiring the same as yours.  As I said before if I do it the same as the diagram the tacho wont work but how I have got it the tacho works. Motor runs in both configerations. I will just leave it as it is and see if I get another 6 years out of this controller. Thanks for all your help. Peter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users