GregTas

Std Fuel Tank - How Much Fuel Flow?

Hi,

I'm wondering how well will fuel flow out of the standard 240 fuel tank.

I plan on going turbo EFI 6 cylinder.The car will have a low pressure pick up pump to take fuel out of the tank and a separate surge tank with the EFI pump from the surge tank.

The pipe on the tank is quiet small. What do people think about whether it will be large enough that I can get enough flow from the tank?

Greg

Having run an injected L24 before with a pump setup like you described, I never had a problem.

I personally wouldn't worry about it.

However if you are going to be making eleventybillion hp out of your 'turbo EFI 6 cylinder',

you wouldn't run the standard tank anyway...

Not going huge hp, but going to pump it a bit. I did have a efi turbo L28 in a 240z and the standard tank worked ok, but surge tank was about 3 litres, so had plenty of capacity.Only 10 psi boost and so not huge flow.

I'm going RB25 this time and will be looking for high 200's rear wheel kw. So boost and fuel flow will need to be a bit higher. A couple of friends a running over 300 rw kw in their track cars, but in skylines with 255 wide tyres. My tyres will only be 225 wide and so 1 bar boost will be enough for me.

Does the std tank have other issues?

Edited by GregTas

Does Std tank have issues?

Yes, only on fast sweeping right hand turns, if tank is less than half full.

You won't be at WOT enough to warrant needing anything other han standard tank with outlet

( hows the internal condition?! 40 years of water condensation, dust ingress, scale etc, can eadily block the feed pipe!)

Run it into a filter, then a low pressure pump into a 2 litre surge pot, then from surge into a EFI pump, then up to the front.

Theres a few simple things to do, to ensure it all works properly.

Edited by dat2kman

Ok thanks guys.I'll just leave it as is. One less thing to do.

Things have a got a bit easier. Surge tanks can be bought cheap on line where as last time I had to make my own from a large fire extinguisher with the middle chopped out of it, but that was 20 years ago..

Tank is out of car and has been in dry storage for some years. It looks ok inside. I'll blow some air back through the pipes.

Edited by GregTas

Only 4 fittings required

At top sides, tank pump feed, front rail return feed,

very top, air/overflow feed back into main tank.

At bottom, big outlet into EFI pump.

2 L fits snugly on rhs in front of std tank, and away from the zorst pipe.

Thanks. I'll install the fuel tank and see how much room is there. Will need to squeeze 2 pumps and 2 filers in there. Last time I put the surge tank up front under the hatch where the washer bottle normally goes.

I was thinking bosh 044 for the high pressure pump.

For the other one what's a good high volume low pressure pump?

Edited by GregTas

Yes, Bosch 044 s pretty well the one to use.

For a low pressure lift, one of the Facet solid state types, they are nousy, but mount it on rubber insulator feet, onto a mount plate