Driveshaft Confusion - Hybrid Gearbox

locklock

lurch!

need help! my car was on 71a box previously.

I bought a rb20det 71c box and got everything sorted out. while mounting it back on, the shifter stick doesn't come out directly in the middle of the console.

Is there any way to fix this? don't really want to spend on another s14 gearbox if possible. my mechanic told me the tail shaft might not fit too.

Edited by locklock

lurch!

need help! my car was on 71a box previously.

I bought a rb20det 71c box and got everything sorted out. while mounting it back on, the shifter stick doesn't come out directly in the middle of the console.

Is there any way to fix this? don't really want to spend on another s14 gearbox if possible. my mechanic told me the tail shaft might not fit too.

Well... you've made a mistake...

S13/14 is the gearbox you require.

NOT the RB20/RB30 unit - They are 50mm shorter.

If you want to keep that RB20 box, you'll need to cut the front of your trans tunnel away,

cut the front of your centre console away to allow the shifter to engage 1st, 3rd & 5th, and get a new tailshaft made.

Edited by Lurch ™

If you had the 71A box fitted before you've converted it to the 71C box, you'll need to have a new tailshaft made regardless,

as the 71a box has an output flange (as opposed to a slip yoke on the 71B/C box's) and a sliding spline centre section.

Personally, unless you installing a 250hp+ motor, I would have kept the 71A flange drive box...

don't really feel like cutting the console. so with the s14 gearbox, what about the tailshaft?

Stock tailshaft will fit the rb 20/30 box.

Stick needs severe bending,,, after to piss off the rubber insulated standard RB stick, and graft a B stick on, or use an "S " shaped stick from one of the early utes.

Or,

Go S13/14, you'll need a shorter, by 50mm, tailshaft ( no, nothing fits, you need to get your stock one shortened), but, the stick comes up through tunnel hole just nicely, and you can retain the C type condom filled insulated stick.

I don't understand what you are asking...?

You could cut the old diff yoke off the 71A tailshaft, and use the 71C output yoke

and join them together with a NEW TUBE.

Edited by Lurch ™

I don't understand what you are asking...?

You could cut the old diff yoke off the 71A tailshaft, and use the 71C output yoke

and join them together with a NEW TUBE.

yes I did that.

before the shaft was bolted on to the end of 71a. but now with the 71c is just a "tube" sticking into end 71c with no bolts.

picture for reference.

So both ends of my shaft is just sticking into the differential and 71c. nothing to bolt on.post-104110-0-34350900-1509847594_thumb.jpegpost-104110-0-34350900-1509847594_thumb.jpeg

Edited by locklock

No picture in your post above, I'm eagerly awaiting one as I'm with Lurch and don't understand ? The tailshaft will have a uni joint on one end, with a flange that bolts to the diff. The other end is an internally splined yoke also with a uni joint. It has to have a splined slip joint somewhere to take up any misalignment / movement / etc.

Like this, front yoke may or may not have a dust shield depending what its off.

post-100293-0-59743500-1509850122_thumb.jpg

Yes, there is something wrong with the tailshaft you posted. Throw all that splined section away - all you need from your existing tailshaft is the flange and uni joint on the diff end . Then take the front yoke and uni joint from the S13 / RB20 / whatever box you have. Then join them together with a solid tube of the correct length, get it balanced up and away you go. It then bolts onto the diff and slips into the rear of the gearbox on a splined slip joint.

Edited by 1600dave

sorry cozza, don't have pic taken. I believe it's 2 piece drive shaft.

OK, I understand whats going on... Communication breakdown.

These posts need to be split from the main topic as well - it's gotten off topic.

Edited by Lurch ™

S13 tailshaft flange may not bolt to a standard 240Z R180 differential flange.

You will need your original 240Z R180 tailshaft, ( the one that has the splined middle slip yoke and front flange), and have that rear flange fitted to the modified S13 tailshaft

Do not attempt to use the standard S13 two piece tailshaft, but have one made up, a single one piece tube, using the bits that do fit.

There are three versions of differential flanges, each has a different rectangular bolt pattern dimensions.

It gets a bit frustrating, but once you have it sorted out, it will work.

Edited by dat2kman

The shaft in your 1st pic today doesn’t look original anyway, it seems to have 2 sliding yoke joints, 1 at the gearbox and the 2nd between the 2 parts of the shaft.

From my understanding an original 71a box would have had a flange connection at the gearbox just like at the diff not a sliding yoke joint.