[Sold] - 240Z - Early Girl

Warky

I still can't believe that after cutting out the body serial number and welding it into another shell you can call this the same car. Bull crap. If you did this to a stolen car you would have the police on your doorstep. In other words it would be only be fraud.

Anything can be repaired. But, a car with that much rust will be a heartbreaker to deal with. All that work, effort and $$$ just for what, bragging rights that it's an early girl? It wouldn't be anyway, it would mostly be a replica, with most of the metal replaced along with everything else.

Better for it to be parted out so it can live on in other projects IMO.

That's car is not really that much poorer than mine was, and unlike my car that was a roller it's a complete car.

It looks bad, but new rails, floor pans and panels are the same amount of work to replace if they are just rusted through or completely gone.If you can get the guards and bonnets then I think it's doable for someone that can use a welder and do the panel work themselves.

For someone committed it's possibly an affordable way to get a 240Z and fix it up over time.

I still can't believe that after cutting out the body serial number and welding it into another shell you can call this the same car. Bull crap. If you did this to a stolen car you would have the police on your doorstep. In other words it would be only be fraud.

It is my understanding that is illegal. The serial number can never be removed from the chassis. The issue with this car would be what is actually left of the chassis, so that would be the only way to save it. Then is it actually a matching numbers car anymore... 

I often bite off a lot, but that is even too much for me. My hat is off to anyone who has the time, patience and wallet to bring that back. I hope someone does.

What the hell else is he going to do with it. Park it for another ten years and see what is left. Good luck to the buyer. Must have very deeeeeeep pockets.

You've lost me Peter.

Well done for finding a buyer and well done for him accepting an offer and being willing to overcome his sentimental attachment.to let it go to a new home. Some people never do.

Edited by GregTas

For someone committed it's possibly an affordable way to get a 240Z and fix it up over time.

There's nothing affordable about repairing a car that far gone, it will cost far more $$$ and take far more time than starting with a fairly good body at the outset, and the end result unless detailed to exact factory match by a very talented craftsman will be less than ideal.

Edited by gilltech

You've lost me Peter.

Well done for finding a buyer and well done for him accepting an offer and being willing to overcome his sentimental attachment.to let it go to a new home. Some people never do.

Sorry Greg all I can say is have another look at the pics of this car. $200k is the only thing that is going to make it look any good if that and then you are only going to have a bit of metal with a number that was never going  part of the original car you are building from this rusty wreck.Thank God the block is make of thicker metal than the body so that number should last longer. I love the two tie down straps holding the front together, hope the buyer brings a heap more to pick it up.

Edited by peter t

• Administrators

Geez, way to rain on a parade..not saying you guys are wrong by the way. Just seems we're all incredibly negative in here today.

Anything can be done with enough skill and patience. Refer to this Mazda R100 rescue job. These now routinely sell for 6 figures, the Mazda Savanna RX-3 coupe I posted on here not long ago for $90k appears to have sold... I think S30Z's will get there soon (if not already in certain countries/regions of the globe)..

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/forum/garages/mazda-garage/288725-saving-a-rusty-r100

The person who bought it may have the skills already to tackle it.

I hope it gets saved, more cars saved and kept going the better chance we have for investment in replacement parts in future.

I'm with Peter on this. Yes take a very close look at the photos. The roof is rusty, the pillars have rust bulges, the door jambs are bubbling, bulkhead is disintegrating, panel laps have holes, in addition to all the usual Z places like rails, sills, floors, battery tray and aprons etc. You can bet that there will be 3-4 times as much rust as indicated by the rust bulges once the paint and underseal is removed, all the cavities will be rusty inside. All the loose panels have rust and damage, and the interior looks to be irretrievable with all the plastics damaged and weathered. As for mechanicals, well it's going to need everything replaced or rebuilt.

Sorry to be a gringe, but that's a fair assessment IMO. Rusty cars are heartbreakers to restore especially with Zeds when there's only a very limited supply of panels and body shell sections.

Edited by gilltech

• Administrators

Well it's been interesting.

I hope the OP is OK with the chit-chat, there's nothing personal just the usual frustration with how these cars we love so much rust so well.

Yes I agree, it's sad to see it in this shape, but it's also why the remaining cars will continue to be valuable. How many early cars are left now? Actually I can somewhat answer that, of the first 500 HS30's I've accounted for around 120 cars. But even fewer will be matching no's, even fewer will be on the road, even fewer original, and I haven't subtracted all the decreased ones from that figure (which I was able to account for).

So let's for argument sake say there is less than 100 left in questionable condition. If you have an early 1 with hatch vents you're part of a very exclusive club of fabulous people who have excellent parties and you're held in high regard at social events. LOL...

I don't have meticulous records of how many are no's matching. But suffice to say I'd say numbers matching is often exception and not the rule. Many early cars had L28's slotted in them.

• Administrators

Yeah chassis number is 327 - I originally thought it was blue from memory.

But the the way they paint has pealed on the room that is orange under there.

Thanks for that, 918 it must be..Which matches the other cars that came after it.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 9.40.37 PM.png

If you get a chance to share the engine no. I'd appreciate it. As this can be a helpful reference point in and of itself.

Sorry, I'm too pragmatic, I don't buy into this 'early girl' stuff with 240Zs. The reality is that they were launched with a number of short-comings, some might say defects, which were, thankfully, corrected in subsequent models. So unless a Zed is documented to be a pre-production car or at least one of those in the first twenty down the assembly line then I can't see what the attraction is about with the rest of the 'low numbers'. It just means that an owner has a car with dodgy ventilation and a drive-line vibration.

• Administrators

We will have to agree to disagree, but Mr Market doesn't care about driveline vibrations or poor ventilation. Besides it's easier to get high on petrol fumes, which helps when paying astronomical prices for these cars. :)

We get the same 'early car' stuff with Mustangs. It's supposed to be a big deal if one has an 'early '65' (unofficially referred to as '64 1/2) vs a late '65. But the reality is that Ford made a number of corrections as they went and it wasn't until the '67 models that the cars' driveabilty improved. But try telling that to a '64 1/2 owner.

• Administrators

We get the same 'early car' stuff with Mustangs. It's supposed to be a big deal if one has an 'early '65' (unofficially referred to as '64 1/2) vs a late '65. But the reality is that Ford made a number of corrections as they went and it wasn't until the '67 models that the cars' driveabilty improved. But try telling that to a '64 1/2 owner.

Going a bit off topic, but I've always wanted an HS30-H (in Maroon GP), there is a lot of replica's in Japan made from later S31 Fairlady Z's, they get the rear lamps changed for the earlier style and have the ZG appendages added. I'd definitely own 1 and enjoy it. It would be a better built car, but a factory HS30-H would also be lovely to own. The replica would cost about 1/3 of the real deal though!

Example of replica.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14448-the-global-z-car-s30s130-market-thread/?p=197298