Wow 3 years has flown by so quickly! but circumstances have dramatically changed, but my dream of owning one of these badoi's is still alive!
I've now come to the conclusion that a full body rust repair just isn't for me. Too demoralising... Lucky we have someone around like Lurch! (who as
we know didn't have any morals in the first place ;p)
So I'm shipping all the rust repair off at this stage with an ETA of work commencing some time around the end of the year/ early next year.
Now I'm over that major mental hurdle, I thought I better get on to refurbishing and upgrading the running gear. I basically have a huge load of questions that I thought I should ask in an attempt at getting a holistic view to the cars handling.
The goal for this build is to build a fun lively and predictable sports car. Excitement and enjoy-ability is key. This means I am leaning away from the "track car" style setup, but still want liveliness and predictability. My main build concept is that I won't go for coilovers as I from first hand experience know how poorly a linear spring type setup performs on our bumpy roads. I don't mind hard suspension at all, but don't like the harshness that non progressive springs provide. As for ride height, I'm sure there is some sort of optimum sweet spot so recommendations are welcomed. From an aesthetic point of view, I'd like it if the wheels can fill out the guard, but doesn't need to be tucked (I'm after 16x8 +0). I have been recommended Koni adjustable shocks (not sure red or yellow), but I am unsure of which spring would best suit my application (bit of progressive, but still firmish). Every other handling part should also fit in to this equation "The sweet spot" before it gets too serious.
I have also heard that when these cars are lowered a significant amount, they greatly benefit from a bit of geometry adjustment, so I assume some adjustable arms are beneficial. (More info here would be handy).
Here are the parts I'm strongly contemplating: (please let me know if they are worthwhile, and where best to purchase them from)
- Adjustable Track control arm
- Adjustable radius rod
- Adjustable Rear transverse link
- Adjustable sways (front and rear) (what weight?)
- Lower (swivel) balljoint (to sways)
- Full bushing kit (Fulcrum superpro recommended, but I am very keen to hear more info about the pros and cons here)
- Full bolt kit
- Clutch/ flywheel (which what?)
Here are some parts that I am considering, but am aware that their cost can be significant, or I don't know enough about them yet:
- Brake upgrade (There are many options I know, but I still haven't found the consensus on which is most ideal...)
- New wiring harness (seems like a good idea, but how expensive and accurate are they (ie. right plugs and wire length?))
- LSD diff (I know super expensive! Are there any other options besides coughing up 2K+?)
- Steering rack refurb?
- Driveshaft upgrade (lightened/ strengthened worth it?)
- Mustache bar upgrade (worth it?)
I THINK that's it ;p I know, too much info, but I will break it down into other threads if anything else gets missed
I'm really open to any information, including where to source all these parts from.
Thanks in advance!