66 replies to this topic

#61 Bloozed

Bloozed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Always wondered why the group S cars were so much faster, 7500RPM explains a lot. Back to SWR for a "nut tickling" (is that for me or the car?)

#62 Brett240

Brett240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Always wondered why the group S cars were so much faster, 7500RPM explains a lot. Back to SWR for a "nut tickling" (is that for me or the car?)

7500 plus rpm means its useless for the road. it doesn't really get into its groove till 5800. would be horrible on the road. 

#63 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 05:34 PM

It's not all in the motor....

I was once told many many years ago when I first started in motorsport, and have yet to be proven wrong, "If you want to go seconds faster, spend your money on brakes and suspension. If you want to go tenths faster, spend it on the motor"

A good case study would be comparing my old green car with the 280 when Jason had it and now. 

With the blue car, there has been a lot more development done to the engine than my car, probably a good 30hp difference before it got its tickle down south. The power delivery was also very different. The blue car made its power up top and revved a lot harder than mine. The engine in my green car was a very lazy truck motor that made peak torque at around 3500rpm and ran out of puff at about 6800rpm.

The times between the cars was very similar, but the big difference was the freedoms I had running my car as a 2B Prod sports compared to Sc. I ran 18" wheels using Porsche cup slicks, the suspensioin was still very simple and had good revalved koni dampers and springs built for the car especially. The suspension was set up to suit the slicks and the locked diffs it ran. Brakes were an area that gave me a big advantage, still simple, just using Wilwood 4 pots up front and Volvo 2 pot calipers on the rear with vented TP magna rotors up front and solid rotors on the bum.

Also I could get a lot more weight out of the car, with it using only a fibreglass bonnet and all steel panels, albeit the front guards were very lightweight after several days in a bath of carbusol to help with repairs, they were lighter than 'glass guards. The green car tipped the scales at 960kg ready to race with around 30 litres of fuel on board.

As for the differences in driving them, Jason would be the best person to comment, seeing as he never let me drive the blue one..... But whilst the blue car would drive away from the green one in a straight line drag, the green car could stop and corner better carrying more speed through corners and able to brake later and harder with no worries of brakes not working, plus the extra grip provided by a bald sticky 240 wide tyre compared to a treaded 205 wide tyre.

#64 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

For some strange reason Z racers seem reluctant to spend money on suspension, which is doubly strange because here we have access to the best, from overseas or local. Grip is everything . Jason used to whinge about all the advantages that P cars were allowed but was too mean to spend money on the best suspension available, MCA.

Edited by 260DET, 27 April 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#65 Brett240

Brett240

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 06:25 PM

depends on the class your running. in group S you're on stock pickup points, stock struts, stock brake setup. the rules have been the same for so long that for most tracks the ideal toe/castor/camber/ anti-roll on the stock equipment is well known so there's not a lot to talk about. the motor and driver makes a huge difference in that class because of that. 

#66 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:54 AM

Pretty sure the big bore big shaft Bilsteins, are a pretty decent unit.
That were fitted to the blue car

MCA just takes the Billies, opens them up, revalves and plumbs canisters into them,,,, for all kinds of adjustability, at both slow and fast response, and paints them in pretty colours.
None of which s permitted in Gp S

But you would not knw this,,,, oh font of fuckall knowledge, when it comes to these cars.

#67 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:07 AM

As a MCA  three way suspension user I some idea about MCA and Murray's ability to get the valving right which is everything. And Sc cars need the valving right just like any other race car, if I had a Sc car Murray would be the first suspension person I'd see, custom race car suspension is all he does.

MCA are starting to sell their stuff in the US to big raps from race car users, once at Lakeside the Z was understeering badly coming onto the straight. Two clicks on the low speed bump adjuster and the understeer was gone with no adverse reaction. Without that I would have been chasing my tail with sway bars, alignment and all that mechanical stuff. So that's how important valving is, with the appropriate spring rates too.

Edited by 260DET, 28 April 2018 - 07:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users