The Build 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

Hey guys

Yesterday I picked up the steering rack up and all the bits and pieces I took over to get powder coated. Felt like Christmas came early unwrapping everything, everything looks amazing fresh and clean in Matte Black.

I have been looking around to purchase new ball joints, bushes and sway bar links but am having trouble finding the parts. Anyone know someone who can supply these parts in Sydney. Would appreciate the help

Cheers

Youhan

post-106017-0-04413700-1511508870_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-04311600-1511509118_thumb.jpg

Steering arms are marked L and R. Control arms are not, you place them so that the longer side of the pivot bush is to the rear....same as your photo which would then make this for RHS of the car.

Steering arms are marked L and R. Control arms are not, you place them so that the longer side of the pivot bush is to the rear....same as your photo which would then make this for RHS of the car.

Thanks KatoKid yeah I thought that might be the case but I have seen other control arms marked L and R. I'll assemble everything and see how I go

Cheers

Hey guys

Been quite busy so haven't been working on the car much. Just put the engine and gearbox together and slipped them in. Having an issue with the manifold as it's sitting directly in front of the firewall so need to get this modified once the pedal box and shifter are in. Anyone hd this issue before??

Also had new fuel lines put in on Friday, went with the 3.8mm pipeline, new proflow 500hp fuel pump installed.

Just want this stage finished but things keep popping up.also need to sort out the wiring harness.

Hey guys

Been quite busy so haven't been working on the car much. Just put the engine and gearbox together and slipped them in. Having an issue with the manifold as it's sitting directly in front of the firewall so need to get this modified once the pedal box and shifter are in. Anyone hd this issue before??

Also had new fuel lines put in on Friday, went with the 3.8mm pipeline, new proflow 500hp fuel pump installed. After the fuel liens went up I also got the final clutch lines done too.

Just want this stage finished but things keep popping up.also need to sort out the wiring harness.

post-106017-0-95510200-1512819780_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-42744800-1512819801_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-37155300-1512819840_thumb.png

Edited by JDM-TOY

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hi

I had exactly the same issue with the engine pipe when I put the L28E into my bus, but it is an easy fix.

I also had an issue with the throttle linkage from the firwall to the manifold being about 1" to short - let me know if you also have this issue.

And finally, why such a big fuel line? I used the original bus one combined with the pump and regulator from an S130 with no supply issues.

Cheers

PB

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys

Last week I pulled down the fuel tank and took it to NatRad in Narellan to get it pressure tested, get a bigger return line put on and cleaned up. Also took the aluminium radiator for them to make up a shroud and put in a high flow thermo fan.

Recieved a call from Ken and was advised that after cleaning the fuel tank there were large rust holes that came up and it needed to be repaired. He said they will need to cut it out and repair it so should be ready to pick up on Wednesday. I'll put up more pictures when I get it back.

Also pulled out the dash and was shocked at the state of the wiring. Looks like every one who owned the car had their two cents put in lol. Going to strip all the wires, take out the guages and get them reconditioned at AtSpeed in St Marys. I have dealt with Ben before with a few of my other past projects and he does a decent job. Also going to get the bulbs changed to brighten up the cluster. Also will get the clock fixed too.

Once the body is all done and when it's time to get the engine wired up I will get my electrician to clean up all the wiring mess.

Regarding my manual conversion I have found that I might not need to cut out any metal from the bell housing. I noticed that there is a plate that has a few spot welds on it to remove. When I looked from underneath it seemed to be a factory plate to invert on the Auto shells, please correct me if I'm wrong.

So to infinity and beyond

post-106017-0-99295400-1516615194_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-49373900-1516615225_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-03617100-1516616147_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

Hi

I had exactly the same issue with the engine pipe when I put the L28E into my bus, but it is an easy fix.

I also had an issue with the throttle linkage from the firwall to the manifold being about 1" to short - let me know if you also have this issue.

And finally, why such a big fuel line? I used the original bus one combined with the pump and regulator from an S130 with no supply issues.

Cheers

PB

Hey PB

Apologies mate didn't mean to ignore you. Definitely will let you know. Yeah I agree on the overkill on the fuel line actually Ray they guy who did it went overkill but I will reduce it down later on. 3,8 should be enough even with a L32 stroker. I was more worried about the return on the tank not being wide enough to let the fuel flow back in.

Cheers

Youhan

Hi Youhan,

I think you need to clarify a couple of things.

Also had new fuel lines put in on Friday, went with the 3.8mm pipeline, new proflow 500hp fuel pump installed. After the fuel liens went up I also got the final clutch lines done too.

Do you mean 3/8" (9.5mm) inside or outside diameter maybe?

The standard fuel supply hard line is 5/16" (8mm) outside diameter. The wall thickness would be 0.7mm to 1.0mm - therefore an inside diameter of 6.0mm to 6.6mm.

... Regarding my manual conversion I have found that I might not need to cut out any metal from the bell housing. I noticed that there is a plate that has a few spot welds on it to remove. When I looked from underneath it seemed to be a factory plate to invert on the Auto shells, please correct me if I'm wrong. ...

Are you talking about enlarging the opening in the car body for the transmission lever? 

If so, look at this post from Six_Shooter

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1378-step-by-step-how-to-auto-to-manual-conversion/page-3?do=findComment&comment=157702

Hey PB

Apologies mate didn't mean to ignore you. Definitely will let you know. Yeah I agree on the overkill on the fuel line actually Ray they guy who did it went overkill but I will reduce it down later on. 3,8 should be enough even with a L32 stroker. I was more worried about the return on the tank not being wide enough to let the fuel flow back in.

Cheers

Youhan

I've got stock lines on my L34. Even 120lph fuel pump is overkill.

Edited by d3c0y

Hi Youhan,

The standard fuel supply hard line is 5/16" (8mm) outside diameter. The wall thickness would be 0.7mm to 1.0mm - therefore an inside diameter of 6.0mm to 6.6mm.

Are you talking about enlarging the opening in the car body for the transmission lever?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/1378-step-by-step-how-to-auto-to-manual-conversion/page-3?do=findComment&comment=157702

Hey mate, yes 9.5mm that's correct.

I'll take a picture of the bell housing gear hole and show you what I mean

Cheers

Youhan

Managed to head out to NatRad Narellan to pick up the fuel tank, Radiator and dropped off the heater unit to get a clean up, fix the flaps and replace the rusted out core and also to change the Tap and put new hoses.

Not so happy with the finish of the paint on the tank. I hit the guys up about it but they said it's the best they could do.

Let's see how the heater unit turns out.

post-106017-0-80992800-1517202668_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-80480000-1517202689_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-82354000-1517202710_thumb.jpg

Officially dropped the 240z to Outer West Smash today, what a mission in this burning sun. Going to head out there this week to help the guys strip it down and drop the running gear and put her up on the rotisserie.

Hopefully by early next week it will be media blasted so we can see what's under the paint and those ugly flares. I really hope the guards haven't been cut out and the original ones are still there. I also hope that the nose cones haven't been welded on.

post-106017-0-28666900-1517825784_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-53518800-1517825804_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY

• Administrators

Ahhh hope it's a beautiful thing..

Re: finish on fuel tank looks better than mine did, but I like you wasn't happy with the paint on mine either. I also couldn't get all the dents out of it because it's thin metal and we were worried about puncturing it if we reworked it enough..

Ahhh hope it's a beautiful thing..

Re: finish on fuel tank looks better than mine did, but I like you wasn't happy with the paint on mine either. I also couldn't get all the dents out of it because it's thin metal and we were worried about puncturing it if we reworked it enough..

Thanks Gavin will definitely look better than what it currently is. Yeah the metal is very soft on the tank. I was thinking of getting a custom tank made but didn't want to spend the extra money and possible engineering issues.

But in general the Japanese didn't put much thought on the quality of metal they used. I remember my RA23 Celica had issues with the thin soft prone to rust metal that was used. I guess they didn't think that people like us would be hunting these cars down in 40 years time from then.

Hi Youhan,

Hi Ian

I was mistaken on the gear hole, it definitely needs to be cut out.

That post you attached is correct

Cheers

Hey Guys

A little update. Visited the panel shop today to pick up all the chrome trims, kick panels, door handles and bumper bars to take in to get re chromed.

The car is on the rotisserie and should get media blasted in the next day or so. The rear flares had been grinded down and it's a mess as suspected. The original guards have been sliced and streched out to make the base for the fiberglass flares. Wishful thinking had me wishing that the original guards were still there but some wishes don't come true.

Going to pick up the repair panels on Friday and replacement front guards will arrive tomorrow.

Should have more pictures soon

Cheers

Youhan

post-106017-0-11647500-1518504111_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-76128900-1518504184_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-98603600-1518504241_thumb.jpg

post-106017-0-13697600-1518504297_thumb.jpg

Edited by JDM-TOY