#41 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Tagline:https://www.facebook.com/thezedshed/

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

I actually think the grinder caused more heat into the panel and more warping than the welder did. I am biting the bullet and getting a 5 inch grinder this week and also some super coarse discs. As someone commented on Facebook, the bigger the disc and the faster it takes away material, the less heat that is transferred.

i use fibre backed grinding discs for the majority of any grinding work i do. i find they are easier to use and come in a variety of grits as well giving a better finish than a flap disc or normal grinding disc

#42 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:38 PM

i use fibre backed grinding discs for the majority of any grinding work i do. i find they are easier to use and come in a variety of grits as well giving a better finish than a flap disc or normal grinding disc

I have not seen them? I know most grinding discs I have used have a mesh grid construction, is that what you are refering to?

#43 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have not seen them? I know most grinding discs I have used have a mesh grid construction, is that what you are refering to?

theses are pretty much like a sanding disc off a orbital sander but designed for a grinder with a nyon backing plate for a lack of a better description and look like this

backing.jpg Grinding-Discs-NorZon.jpg

few grinding brands stock their own versions of them but. They are also good because you can use the whole surface area of the disc unlike the conventional grinding disc or flap dics

#44 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Interesting. I wear out the solid grinding discs pretty fast when I am grinding back welds. Do these last? It looks like sandpaper to me, and I went through half of a flap disc in 10 mins today?

#45 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

Interesting. I wear out the solid grinding discs pretty fast when I am grinding back welds. Do these last? It looks like sandpaper to me, and I went through half of a flap disc in 10 mins today?

for a 5'' grinder depending on the grit and angle you grind on they don't last a longer than the normal grinding disc. strange that you're going through grinding discs like that now, that for a 4" or a 5" grinder?? a flap disc is more of a finishing disc and not designed for removing a great deal of material. id prefer the fibre backed discs any day of the week personaly and have been a favorite in most workshops worked in. might be worth trying them out for your self and see what you think but

• HomeBuiltByJeff likes this

#46 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

Up to now I have been using a 4" grinder on the welds and, probably due to my birdsnest welding, there is generally a lot to grind back ;) 

• MATTY likes this

#47 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

This week I stripped down my P90a head to see what I am working with. I also tackled my most difficult rust repairs to date.

• Andrew_L26 likes this

#48 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:46 PM

Looks like they did a very rough patch up job, this is what the inside of the lower rear double skinned section of the front guards is meant to look like (including "period" surface rust) - so you got it right with your opening:

IMG_2946.JPG

Water draining down from the windscreen cowl flows down to this area and through the double skinned section and this does block up especially when the rubber seal on the panel breaks down allowing dirt etc. flicked up be the wheels to enter this area - not a good design.

Edited by AndBir, 20 October 2017 - 09:56 PM.

#49 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,522 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:11 PM

I mentioned on the Youtube channel, but I think some P90A's had solid lifters. So you may not need to swap your ones over.

#50 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Looks like they did a very rough patch up job, this is what the inside of the lower rear double skinned section of the front guards is meant to look like (including "period" surface rust) - so you got it right with your opening:

attachicon.gifIMG_2946.JPG

Water draining down from the windscreen cowl flows down to this area and through the double skinned section and this does block up especially when the rubber seal on the panel breaks down allowing dirt etc. flicked up be the wheels to enter this area - not a good design.

Thanks for that. Mine were way too far gone to have any idea of what they were originally suppose to be like. Looks like I wasn't far off the mark, I just made mine a bit short.

I mentioned on the Youtube channel, but I think some P90A's had solid lifters. So you may not need to swap your ones over.

Yeah, it looks like I got lucky ;)  

#51 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:43 PM

Are my 240Z's doors completely rusted out and junk? They have been covered up with a mountain of bog and paint, so this week I strip them down and see if I can save them.

• AndBir likes this

#52 AndBir

AndBir

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:30 PM

Love the "out-take" at the end of that video  :)

#53 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:39 PM

Love the "out-take" at the end of that video  :)

I have out takes on most of the videos. Usually it is Mrs Jeff struggling with the script, but she has started getting better with the car terminology which is ruining my bloopers  ;)

#54 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 27 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

I wouldn't say they're beyond repair. Looks like you've just about finished one of them anyway! Keep it up!

Andrew

#55 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,522 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Jeff you can get lower door sections here.

https://tabcoparts.c...-1970-1978.html

#56 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

Jeff you can get lower door sections here.

https://tabcoparts.c...-1970-1978.html

Where is the fun in that ;) 

• markz1234 likes this

#57 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

I enjoy your video's working on the Z.

Haven't looked at the others, looks like you pretty much document everything!

Your missus must be understanding and very supportive, she's a keeper.

Also. Vernier calipers are only accurate and should only be trusted within 0.1mm. If you need to measure to hundredth's of a mm, you should use micrometers.  

^-^

#58 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

This week I work away at finishing that terrible door. It is a lot of rust and a lot of work, but I am stubborn enough to keep at it.

• luvemfast, AndBir and JDM-TOY like this

#59 JDM-TOY

JDM-TOY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Tagline:Who KnowzZz

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Hey mate looks like you have played the violin with all that shoulder and chin work you were doing balancing that door lol 

Love to see rust repairs being done but Im too fearful of doing it myself

Keep up the good work 

#60 HomeBuiltByJeff

HomeBuiltByJeff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:22 AM

Haha, it does look like that. I was actually looking along the door to make sure I was keeping the panel flat whilst tacking it together.

• JDM-TOY likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users