Home Built Z 'full Video Build'

• Administrators

Hey Jeff,

I have been having the same front-end challenges as you repairing my bonnet and trying to align the front end perfectly. Did you see there is now reproduction hoods?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/16797-new-bonnets-are-now-available/

I got myself an aftermarket 1 but it also doesn't quite fit right.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/16801-aftermarket-reproduction-bonnet-hood-for-s30z-review/

I am going to check the front-end of my car for squareness next with plumb bob's rulers etc.. I have feeling your car had a front-end hit at some point and was perhaps never put quite right, hence all the wrestling to make stuff fit on your car correctly. This is not uncommon on old S30z's I'm afraid. But if you never check the squareness of it, you'll forever chase your tail trying to get everything right.

I'm glad to see you're frustrated with it, not because I like to see people frustrated but because i've gone through the same thing and your video's gave me the impression you had the patience of a saint. It was almost god like, which made me feel inferior lol..  >:D

Haha, thanks guys. I will get there with the alignment, I just need to persevere.

The bonnet though, I think is toast. It is going to take so much work to get it straight that I am not sure if it is worth it. I may head down and have a look at those repro bonnets in Moorebank on Tuesday morning. 

• Administrators

Jeff the bonnet in my opinion is 1 of the most difficult panels to align and get right on a Z. I'm forever cursed now because I see the flaws in everyone else's bonnet when I go to a club day or meet. Just because I know what to look for and most S30z's have had a light front end nudge.

Given how much work I invested in repairing mine and the cost of a reproduction 1 even if they need some tweaking it's hard to go wrong with a new panel.

Unfortunately I'm a bit OCD and a perfectionist and will probably go to the effort of obtaining an OEM 1 in good shape if I can find 1.

You will notice how much sharper the new panel looks when you fit it. It will really sharpen the loom of the car from the front.

The panel shop that I used spent countless hours trying to get the front end aligned and all gaps as good as possible. Its better than factory in the end but even they said it was the hardest car they have ever had to work on.

Edited by KatoKid

Jeff, quick question.

I'm assuming you painted your 911 in a Acrylic paint correct? what paint did you use?

Rudi.

Absolutely not. Acrylic is terrible and I won't touch it. I used 2 pack for the whole thing. 

I have heard a few old school guys talking about how you can get acrylic looking good, but in my experience it is never the case. I have only come across one old school spray painter who could still do it, and that was only because that is what he had used every day for 40 years. 

I made my living around the top show cars in Australia for 13 years as a professional Airbrush Artist, and all of them were in 2 pack.

The way I see it when you are trying to get a gloss finish, you are aiming for the window between too dry (not gloss) and too wet (runs). The window with 2 pack is much bigger and you just get a better gloss straight off the gun. Acrylic is slightly cheaper and 2pack is not something you want to breath in, although you don't really want to breath in acrylic either. If you as going to the effort of painting a car, don't bother ruining it with acrylic, as it will always look amateur.  

I’m enjoying the videos Jeff. You are making great progress keep them coming. I spent most of the weekend trying to getting the front panel gaps respectable. Quite happy with the end result. What was a big help was finding the bonnet rubbers, stops I purchased a year or so ago. When fitted they helped line things up nicely.

Jeff

I’m enjoying the videos Jeff. You are making great progress keep them coming. I spent most of the weekend trying to getting the front panel gaps respectable. Quite happy with the end result. What was a big help was finding the bonnet rubbers, stops I purchased a year or so ago. When fitted they helped line things up nicely.

Jeff

That is a very good point. I should really sort that out to get things perfect.

Jeff

You do mentions CAMS in the video.

Are you building the cage to comply with schedule J?

Jeff

Yes. I printed out the whole schedule 'J' and, as I did with the Porsche, made sure everything complies. If I am going to buld a cage, it is not that difficult to make it so it can be CAMS approved later. I could also add to it and make it a full cage or what ever if I chose to in the future.

• 3 weeks later...