• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hokin

Hokin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Tagline:If you can park and walk away from it a without looking back you got the wrong car

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

Hi all,

Currently im trying to source an early 260Z or 240Z shell. During the restoration process the fuel tank was pulled out of my 74' 260Z and we had found that the rear end has had a very hard hit and someone has attempted to fix it themselves (quite poorly).

After a soul crushing day and having a panel beater inspect it on a hoist they have advised that the chassis is too twisted to be used. Not to mention that the previous attempt to repair is very bad cosmetically and structurally. We all take this risk in buying any 40yo car, but you can only hope for the best.

I don't mind if the shell has rust as I can use the existing shell to repair or NOS panels that I have purchased also. I also have other interior/driveline/panels to transplant into the new shell. 

Would kindly appreciate the help.

​Cheers,
Adam

#2 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

PM Patch on here, he has my old 240 race car shell, the front is fubar, but the rear would probably suit your needs.

The rear has ad a hit, but is straight and the inner guards have been tubbed to fit slightly wider wheels. It used to run 18x8" wheels with 0 or -2mm offset and 240/640/18 or 250/650/18 slicks all round.

Although going through the thread for the shell it looks like it might already be in Melbourne.

#3 Rickers

Rickers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

Although going through the thread for the shell it looks like it might already be in Melbourne.

Yep, it's currently in Bendigo VIC. It's on my to-do list, so I'm not really looking to sell it.

cheers

• OdinZ likes this

#4 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune as I suspect would any classic car enthusiast be.

Is it worth getting a second opinion? I'd thought that those Car-o-Liner contraptions, in the right hands, could bring a monocoque shell back to within a millimeter or two of factory specs?

Is the car in one piece, and do the doors and hatch open and shut OK?

Can the rear tub not be pulled back into line and the damaged chassis rails be repaired or completely replaced?

Or is it more a case of your Zed being beyond economic repair?

#5 daretobedifferent

daretobedifferent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Adam thats really unfortunate. Can you upload some photos for us to see the damage? 

I'd take it to a chassis straightening shop that has dealt with classic race or rally cars. They've probably seen the worst of it and should give you a more brave response. 

#6 Hokin

Hokin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Tagline:If you can park and walk away from it a without looking back you got the wrong car

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. Currently the car is still at the panel beaters back in bendigo (2hr drive from melbourne). I will endeavour to get some photo's of it when I'm back in Bendigo.

So the car never come with a hatch and it was something i sourced post purchase of the car. The passengers side door has approx a 2-3 cm drop in it which we thought may have been a bad hinge at the time, but turns out its not the hinge.

daretobedifferent is there any recommended shops for chassis straightening that you would recommend?

Cheers,
​Adam

#7 daretobedifferent

daretobedifferent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

Adam I'm not too sure in Melbourne, but I just did a quick search for you and Lurch (an experienced member on this forum) has recommended the below shop in Melbourne;

Blackwell Bodyworks in Pakenham come highly recommended:

19/, 25 Bald Hill Rd
Pakenham, VIC, 3810 
(03) 5941 6999

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users