Radiator

gerrardq

Hi all, 

Has anyone had any bad experiences with ebay aluminium radiators?

is there a better product?

I will be converting my Auto L26 to a Manual L28 with a fair bit of internal work.

(Pic is what was in the Z)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers

post-105424-0-66126000-1504251008_thumb.jpg

Ive got no experience with ally rads but, why don't you want to get the original rad reco'd?

They look heeeaaaappps better in my opinion. And, works fine on my car.

Copper is a much better heat conductor than ally.

Cheers

Mick

I would say that having an original reconditioned would probably cost at least as much as a new alloy radiator.

Copper and aluminium have roughly the same heat conductance (copper is slightly better) however Ally radiates heat better. But yes. I reckon the orig radiators look far better than the typical big shiny ally ones!

Andrew 

• Moderators

Hi

I have an ebay radiator in my L28 powered bus.

Haven't had a problem, but the mounting holes were slightly off. It does have mounts for a shroud but I did not use them.

There seems to be two designs and prices, I went with the slightly more expensve one.

Cheers

PB

post-102365-0-94922500-1504345769_thumb.jpeg

Yep copper has a much better heat transfer rate than aluminium but heat transfer is not the only factor that should be taken into consideration. Both an original and an aluminium radiator will work both look good in their own way and both will fail if you don't do the right thing. The main difference is the weight of the copper in comparison to the aluminium. An aluminium radiator allows the builder to construct a larger heat transfer surface with much less weight.

At the end of the day it's personal choice. There are quite a few good quality manufacturers in australia of these product although some what more expensive than the eBay imports. I purchased an Australian manufacturerd unit for my car, although I suspect mutch of the componentry is imported.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

I looked at PWR but they wanted $1200 !

Went for the eBay special out of the US, with fans and shroud for $320. If it cant do the job then I can trade up but cant help but feel you're paying a premium for the PWR name.