New Sydney Member

Hi all

Its Youhan from Sydney

I have been meaning to do a new member introduction over the past month or so but I thought I would get myself updated on some of the knowledge on this forum before I go asking questions. I'm sure there are a few forum members who were sussing me out but I understand that there are a lot of scammers and non helpful people out there who just want to waste peoples time. Honestly in saying that I found the content on this forum really informative and backed with extensive knowledge of the early Z'ds, keep up the good work. From my external view of this forum I find that people are willing to go out of their way to help a member and to see another great Z'd on the road or on a race track.

So just a little about my 1973 240z (not matching number) that I purchased from Curtis a probably two months back, some of you may have seen it on FleeBay. Basically I was looking to purchase a 240 back 5 years ago and I was on a hunt to find a clean project but I was having trouble finding a good example. One day I came across a Toyota Celica RA23 for sale and it side tracked my search and I remembered when I wanted to buy one when I was on my learners so I regretfully purchased it (picture below). Basically I did a SR20DET conversion from a S15 and a S14 5SPD, Borgwarner diff from a VN SS including front and rear disc conversion. This car was a beast at 200atwkw but body has rust in the usual places and after driving it hard the passenger door would not open until the chassis settled lol. Soooo I sold it with no regret to fund the sky rocketing prices of the 240z's.

20160704_112615_zps5jqumtlr.jpg

20160704_112725_zpsrikjhxpl.jpg

So currently my plans are to undertake a manual conversion and get rid of that nasty auto gearbox. Also I would like to get the body restored removing the fibreglass flairs and insert the original fender arches and keeping it the same colour. I would really love to stay true to the L series engine as I have been there and done that with other cars with different engines but I would love a storker L28 from Les Collins or PMC engines later down the track.

Anyways lets see how we go but my main focus is getting the body restored first as I don't want to make the same mistake a second time by thinking emotionally.

IMG_20170719_125401_zpsqxw5rqnu.jpg

IMG_20170719_125424_zpsq9nppogs.jpg

IMG_20170719_131735_zpscm8ssaiz.jpg

IMG_20170803_150323_zpsyj8lhphz.jpg

Looking forward to working on this great car and getting it into great shape, I'm a little tempted to paint it in the 918 Orange but still not sure on this. ALso looking forward to meeting like minded enthusiasts on this forum and events.

If anyone knows the history of this car would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Youhan with a silent U

Edited by JDM-TOY

• Moderators

Welcome Youhan

Where abouts in NSW are you ?

I agree with Jeff, looks a great starting point.

If you need a hand, or a few pointers in the Manual conversion let me know, I have recently done this conversion on my car.

Look forward to following your progress.

Cheers

PB

Welcome Youhan.

Looks like you have a good starting point. You cannot go wrong with an L series from Warragul.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, yeah I spoke to Les this morning and he seems like a humble guy. I told him my budget for a complete crate engine and he just wanted to keep taking about what can be done lol. 

You can't go wrong with 918 orange on these cars.

Yeah I agree Gav if I do head down the 918 path I might go a little lighter not far off a matt peachy orange. 

Welcome Youhan

Where abouts in NSW are you ?

I agree with Jeff, looks a great starting point.

If you need a hand, or a few pointers in the Manual conversion let me know, I have recently done this conversion on my car.

Look forward to following your progress.

Cheers

PB

Thanks Peter, I'm located in the Hills district. At the moment I don't have the work space as I'm in between houses so Ill just get the work done by one of my mates at his shop and ill give him a hand over a fair few beers lol 

I actually spoke to warren from All Z Parts and he has all the parts to do the conversion. Warren said that he has a reconditioned close ratio 5 spd out of a 240 but I need to confirm the first and second gear ratio with him. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe first gear should be a long gear with a ratio of 28.1. Just out of curiosity how much would a reco 5spd cost in this market? From what he told me his price is on the high side but he could be right. 

Cheers 

Youahn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey dude hows the project moving along ?

Am currently decreasing my ta22 fleet to help fund my own 260z project lol

Hi 260z Blues sorry for the late reply. It's going well you can follow my build here http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/16641-the-build-73-240z/?do=findComment&comment=198091

Yeah I felt the same way man my heart was always set on a 240z even before my HQ Statesman and RA23 but I kept the HQ loll