260Z 2+2 1977. $6K

nanananabatsun

SOLDSOLDSOLDSOLD

Disassembled.

Was my daily driver.

Deregistered to have blasted and resprayed.

Family situation changed.

Remote central locking.

Electric windows.

Had a vinyl roof. Chrome trim included.

3.545 diff.

Reco L26

5 speed.

Twin SU. Points.

Duco very bad.

New fuel pump. New tires. 280zx rims. Boss kit. All new door jam and glass seals.

If i was going to keep it i would buy dash cap, seat covers and carpets.

p.s. lowered on KingSprings. New front shocks, not fitted.

Edited by nanananabatsun

Old photo. They were replaced with an abs front dam spoiler i got in California. Also replaced headlights with new reflectors. forgot to mention 2 spare rear seats, spare rocker cover, downdraft manifold and carby of a 240k, rear brakes off an r31 which i never fitted. Spare centre console in poor condition. I also put new wheel bearings in the front and replaced rear wheel cylinders.

Edited by nanananabatsun

This is a more thorough description of some of the story of the car which I sent to another member tonight. Save sending it out again - here it is.

So...
The vehicle was purchased from the original owner by a mate of mine Dave. He and his son built a 240z two seater as a hillclimb vehicle some years ago. They bought this yellow Z to strip it for suspension parts in order to make their 240z re-registerable again. They ended up deciding not to strip it because it was complete and (although mistreated) original. My wife purchased this car for me to have as a project vehicle because I was needing to work on something in order to deal with my stress. 

Things i noticed on the vehicle straight away...

It had originally had a vinyl roof including chrome trimpieces from factory. A section of the roof has apparently torn and the original owner had replaced the section with a piece of plywood painted black. Also the glue under the vinyl had left a very very brittle residue that did not come off even with over cleaner, wax/grease remover, solvents, citrus based cleaners, eucalyptus oil etc. It could only be sanded off. 

Additionally, it appeared that the vehicle had at some point been resprayed above the trim line on the vehicle. The newer yellow was darker than the old yellow.

Also, it was obvious that the rear corners of the car were slightly different shapes and had been repaired, and that the bonnet had once been dark green, and before that red. So the bonnet had been resprayed twice. The front left headlight shroud was also previously red. So it seemed the car had been in an accident at some point.

The panel work had been done well and clearly quite some time ago but i stripped as much of the repaired sections back to bare metal to see their condition as I could - except for the rear right corner - i didn't get that far.

After some sanding I found that the panels were quite close to straight and that the repaired sections were close enough for me to be content to reregister the car and just drive it. Also i was getting itchy to actually have somebenefit for the money i was pouring into the car.

If you look closely in the photos you will see some places where the body filler would need to be reapplied in order for the vehicle to appear flawless again: just behind the left door, both rear corners, the bottom of the rear window (where I had the rewelding done), a small piece on the front drivers side of the bonnet near the headlight shroud, and a small section in the centre of the roof. 

When i pulled the stripes off the sides of the vehicle it also removed some pieces of paint. I guess that the pre-stripping process which I have had done on the vehicle has made it quite worse.

Before i registered the vehicle I purchased a huge amount of product and sprayed it with matte black plasti-dip so i had a uniform colour. I also sprayed the corner of the engine bay where the battery sat to cover the surface rust. Plasti-dip advertises that it forms an oxygen prohibitive coating so that rust cannot continue to oxidize and spread. I was hoping to take the car off the road and do the body work more thoroughly - but now that's stalled and so that's why there's some surface rust. Don't trust plasti-dip to inhibit rust.

I also had some repairs done on the dashboard to make the surface of it smooth but when it was refitted into the car the heat gradually warped and cracked it again. I intended to send it to dashboard doctor in Melbourne to get it properly reskinned but that hasn't happened. When I was in San Francisco two years ago I purchased a front air dam for $500 and carried it back through customs.

To complete this build I also priced brand new carpet kits, getting the seats retrimmed, getting the windows professionally tinted - fitting my new rear window demister kit, fitting my new shocks, fitting my skyline brakes and getting the body work done. I have mates who have offered to help me if I want to keep the car but at this point I am just very disheartened with the project.

When i took it off the road in August last year I was going to do body work and I had sourced an RB30 along with computers and gearboxes to install them. One of my friends and mentors who was going to help me with engineering the build died suddenly of a heart failure. So since then I have not really progressed. I sold the other engine and attachments and decided to restore the car instead. But the body shop was supposed to have the vehicle sodablasted, undercoated and the metalwork done on the body by April and they still haven't touched it. So that's why it's for sale. 

I have four kids and while I know i wont get anywhere near the money I spent on the car, I'm cutting my losses and I just want to get a good Four wheel drive to spend time with my own kids. So I'm selling this to get enough funds for a decent patrol.