• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matsdat

matsdat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi guys, i have rust in the front of my chassis rails (underneath where sway bar bolts up and a bit towards the engine side of the rail).  Would you guys recommend having the rails repaired or completely replaced? I dont have the skills to do structural welding, or the confidence, so all welding will be done by a professional.  Anyone else done this? where did you get the rails? how much did this cost? I appreciate any advice.  Thanks. 

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,662 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:36 AM

Need pics mate.
Too hard to diagnose without seeing the extent of the rust.

#3 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

i press up my own sections for rails, and have a template or cad dwg for making the under seat rails.
i make them @ my work as that is what we do there, sheetmetal fab. i just developed the blanks to be cut and get my brake press operator to fold them up once punched/profiled out out

the front rails are very straight forward, just re-inforce the swaybar mounting and cross member mounting positions with threaded tubes as the sway bar mount bolts can easily pull out of just a nut welded to the back of the rail.
no need to go any thicker than 1.2mm steelas the fact rails are lucky to be 0.8-1.9mm thick.
for my mates car we are looking at replacing front and under floor rails right through to the rear subframe and aswell as running tube throught the sill panels for side strength as this is really the only stuctual stifness of the car besides the roof!

nato.

#4 matsdat

matsdat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Thank for the respones, dont have access to a camera right now. Not sure how good the rest of the front rails are, but the point where the sway bar mounts to the rail is cactus and will need repaired or replaced.  Not sure which way to go, i have the option to buy replacements from places like Zedd Findings or Bad Dog parts, any one had any experience with these guys?, or just getting a fabricator to repair the rusted bits. I would like to put in a V8 so need the rails to be as strong as possible.  nat0_240_chevZ, did you reinforce your rails, or any other part of the chassis, with the V8 conversion? (I assumed you have done one by your username). 

#5 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

bought my car with a 283 chev v8 already installed and dispensated by motor reg, have cert etc.
was done in 85 when v8's in small cars wasnt frowned a\upon like it is now.

yes i have the chev still, have quite a few people always wanting it at any one time.
NO the rails were not reinforced but were in very good n sound condition.
I am now looking at cutting the front frame rails out and replacing with a Rectangle hollow sect which is taller  and slightly narrower and installing them to have some of the rect sect on the outer side of the inner fender for eng exh clearance issues with the vh45, with the chev the instal is extremely simple, it uses the std hk-hg monaro chev mounts wih the steel block on the stock engine perches.

the engine does sit a lil high and forwared in the engine bay as to where id like it to sit, but was an absolute hoot to drive, even with the heavy boat anchor chev!!! the baddog rails is what i have as my plan B rails which is the same as stock but extend and bend around the floor contours to attache to the rear subframe.

the nissan v8 install is very interesting, will be most likely dry sumping the motor and running customised exh and intake for preferance as well as space constraints as the twin cam hemi head on a v8 is very wide @ the top of the motor.

check out a youtube vid of the vh45de going in.

nato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users