Hybridz May Be Shutting Down.

260DET

Surprising they've had to get to that point given the amount of conversation on there! Reminds me I must be about due for another donation on here!

It sounds like enough donations are coming in to keep it going, I and many others have found it to be an invaluable source of information particularly for anything out of the ordinary and the high tech stuff too. It's an institution like this site but in a different way, it would be a shame to see it close. It wouldn't do any harm for the Aussies who use it to make a donation.

• Administrators

Problem is social media is now where many go but i find the Facebook posts as useful as a chocolate tea pot most of the time. At least on sites like these you can find material that has been covered before with relative ease.

The likes of Facebook are good for ephemeral information but that's about it.

I regularly irritate the Australian Datsun FB users, when a question is asked, to: "Go and search VZC, Ozdat, Datsun1200 etc. forum - the answer is there."

Now & again someone will ask in a FB "such & such posted 'recently' about XYZ & now I cant find it. Can anyone help?"

Rarely is the original subject found...

Honestly, I'm surprised that this hasn't come up sooner.

So many people have complained about the moderators and the way the site is NOT welcoming to new members nor is finding relevant information easy, with so many results just having "search it's been discussed before" in the replies and broken links due to forum software upgrades.

Plainly, they brought the reduction in traffic on themselves by trying to adhere to a way of running the site that just doesn't work to promote continued nor increased traffic.

HybridZ is pretty much like here as far as  the demographic goes. I only look there about once a week now but over the years have never had any real problems with the mods or anything else there and certainly have benefited from it. One problem with such forums is newbies all keen and enthusiastic post like they are the first ever to mention a topic when for the veterans it's same old so they tend to get a bit abrupt. Understandable both ways.

I don;t know . There can be a lot said for yelling at clouds.

I seem to get a lot of it these days and like everyone else they don't listen to me ether. But jawing with you mob at the pub . Well lets just say I have seen many an event get its legs that way.  

Edited by Bonkers

HybridZ is pretty much like here as far as  the demographic goes. I only look there about once a week now but over the years have never had any real problems with the mods or anything else there and certainly have benefited from it. One problem with such forums is newbies all keen and enthusiastic post like they are the first ever to mention a topic when for the veterans it's same old so they tend to get a bit abrupt. Understandable both ways.

The problem is that while a topic may have been discussed previously, that doesn't mean that every detail has, and new variations or understanding of those subjects can be had with new discussions.

The whole "Search, it's been discussed before" BS is just that, BS. SOOOOO many threads are full of those replies when you search for the subject there and sooo many threads are outdated, or the links are broken due to software updates over the years, so unless you KNOW the EXACT title of the thread to search for it's impossible to find any good thread on any subject there, especially if it's more than a few months old. I've tried to explain this to the mods there, but it falls on deaf ears (blind eyes, perhaps?).

I have had ZERO problem on other sites that don't go by this "everything has been discussed before" attitude. If it's a well discussed subject, you usually don't need to direct anyone to any other threads because they can usually find the threads and info easily. If it's a rarely discussed subject, new threads are sometimes welcome to spark interest or discuss new understanding of those subjects. If it's a subject that you don't want to discuss again, simply don't click on the thread, or just click back and let other people discuss it.

Just simply, the clique that is there and specific moderators who lord over members, giving them BS warnings is what has driven people away, and they just refuse to see that.

Not long ago a couple moderators/admins, one of which I think was Super Dan posted on a Facebook basically BEGGING for people to use the hybridz site. Everyone that stated why they didn't go there was due to how the site was run, most commonly was the way it was moderated and usually came back to one specific moderator who would give out those BS warnings. Warnings for forgetting a period, or capitalizing a word or beginning of a sentence. Really? REALLY? These posts were COMPLETELY and FULLY understood by anyone reading them. I got a temp ban (14 days) for making a to the point comment about the warning on the thread discussing the BS infraction for missing a capitalized letter. *rolleyes* When that happened I visited there infrequently after that. The temp ban showed me that I could find all the same info and better atmosphere through other forums and sources.

It won't be a great loss if that site goes down, even with the amount of info that IS there, another forum will pop up, or people will just use the other Z Car sites more often. Like I said they've brought this on themselves.

Edited by Six_Shooter