OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Tagline:I.....own a car......

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hi all,

First of all, I looking the choke cable connector, missing in the first picture. I have found one online, but I am wondering if I can pick one up locally.

20170702_172855_resized.jpg

http://sucarb.co.uk/...le-spacing.html

Based on photos that I have seen on other peoples carbs, I think I am missing some hose/tubes to the left (front) of the front carb, and right (back) of the rear carb as shown below. Can anyone tell me what should be here?

20170702_172911_resized.jpg

20170702_172922_resized.jpg

My last question, can I get aircleaners locally? What do you guys suggest? I have the original (blue) airbox for the flattop carbs, but fairly confident they don't bolt on. or if someone is selling the red airbox for the round top SUs?

#2 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

SUMidel in Sydney carry a big range of spares for British SU's - http://www.sumidel.com/

As far as hoses go, all you need is 3 per carb - one from fuel pump / fuel rail into the top of float chamber, small one to get fuel from the bottom of the float chamber to the jet on the base of the carb, and one to drain any overflow from the float chamber.

#3 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,527 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Those are British SU's not Hitachi SU's and they look a little undersize based on the surface of the intake manifold and how the carbs mate up to them. I'd measure the throats to get an idea of their size.

Hard to advise on what's missing since they are off another market car. Usually it's HS6 SU's that get fitted to L-series (L24-L28's). However my experience with HS6;s is that they were not nearly as good quality as the Hitachi made SUs.

As suggested contact the website above for help with your particular model of carb.

• OdinZ likes this

#4 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

Hey mate, I have a spare cable clamp that I would be happy to part with.

As for air cleaners I had a pair of "Ramflow" Filters on my British SU H6's which had a great induction noise and seemed to perform fairly well.

This shows how they mounted and what they look like. It would probably be possible to make something custom or re-drill your stock airbox.

IMG_20170305_204132.jpg

IMG_20170306_172624.jpg

#5 OdinZ

OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:18 AM

SUMidel in Sydney carry a big range of spares for British SU's - http://www.sumidel.com/

As far as hoses go, all you need is 3 per carb - one from fuel pump / fuel rail into the top of float chamber, small one to get fuel from the bottom of the float chamber to the jet on the base of the carb, and one to drain any overflow from the float chamber.

Thanks Dave. I will have a look again. Its runs fine, not as responsive as i would like but thought the carbs just need a tune.

Those are British SU's not Hitachi SU's and they look a little undersize based on the surface of the intake manifold and how the carbs mate up to them. I'd measure the throats to get an idea of their size.

Hard to advise on what's missing since they are off another market car. Usually it's HS6 SU's that get fitted to L-series (L24-L28's). However my experience with HS6;s is that they were not nearly as good quality as the Hitachi made SUs.

As suggested contact the website above for help with your particular model of carb.

Thanka Gav. Will have measure and go from them. I am hoping they are not undersized, didnt want to change anything just yet. Haha

Hey mate, I have a spare cable clamp that I would be happy to part with.
As for air cleaners I had a pair of "Ramflow" Filters on my British SU H6's which had a great induction noise and seemed to perform fairly well.
This shows how they mounted and what they look like. It would probably be possible to make something custom or re-drill your stock airbox.
IMG_20170305_204132.jpg
IMG_20170306_172624.jpg

Hey Andrew, that'd be great. I have a feeling you might be near me too. I will pm you.
I went through some of my parts before and it seems this came with Ramflos but dont go on the mounting plate well anymore. Did u get yours locally? I assume i would need and airbox for roadworthy though.

#6 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

They should be OK for size, most (all??) of the smaller 1 1/2" HS4 SU or 38mm Hitachi carbs only have two mounting bolts to attach to the manifold. Yours look to have 4, which should be 1 3/4" or HS6.

#7 Andrew_L26

Andrew_L26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Tagline:That Purple Zed

Posted 30 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I got mine from uniflow:

http://www.uniflow.c...en-us/d141.html

Technically yes you will need an airbox but in most cases due to the car being fairly old it won't be an issue (depending on the inspector)

I haven't received your message yet?

Andrew

#8 OdinZ

OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

They should be OK for size, most (all??) of the smaller 1 1/2" HS4 SU or 38mm Hitachi carbs only have two mounting bolts to attach to the manifold. Yours look to have 4, which should be 1 3/4" or HS6.

yeah righteo, i will need to have another look and measure anyway. 

I got mine from uniflow:

http://www.uniflow.c...en-us/d141.html

Technically yes you will need an airbox but in most cases due to the car being fairly old it won't be an issue (depending on the inspector)

I haven't received your message yet?

Andrew

Hey Andrew, sorry mate, sent you a message earlier today, wasnt online much over the weekend with our football (soccer) commitments.

Thanks for the link, probably going to order a set in the next day or so.

#9 OdinZ

OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hey Gav,

Is this what you meant about measuring the throat, seems the larger size.

throat.jpg

#10 OdinZ

OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Hey Dave, definitely 4 bolts onto the manifold.

Also, "AUD 9" is stamped on the side of the carbs, and "AUD 3347" on the float chambers if that means anything to anyone here

#11 1600dave

1600dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

AUD numbers are mostly part numbers for the individual parts of the carb.

If there is a little aluminium tag under one of the float chamber lid screws, it will have a number stamped into it that can be used to identify what the carbs originally came off. Mine, for instance, were off a Triumph Dolomite.

Edited by 1600dave, 04 August 2017 - 12:14 PM.

• OdinZ likes this

#12 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,527 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

Hey mate,
I'll measure the throats on my spare SUs tonight if I can remember and will post a photo if possible.
  • OdinZ likes this

#13 OdinZ

OdinZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

Hey mate,
I'll measure the throats on my spare SUs tonight if I can remember and will post a photo if possible.

Hey Gav,

Dont stress mate, it probably doesnt make any difference at the moment, the sizing seems ok, and like i said it runs well enough for now. I will eventually call SUMidel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users