49 replies to this topic

#41 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

here are some photos of how the trans looks in the tunnel, we didn't have to cut out any sections in the tunnel, we did some minor massaging of the tunnel and the trans fitted much better than we expected, the original auto gearbox mounting points where cut off and a new cross member made, the box uses a cabe to shift it so ill have to mount the shfter and run the cable but there is plenty of room for that

IMG 4896
IMG 4901
IMG 4900
IMG 4899
IMG 4898
IMG 4897
IMG 4902
IMG 4903
IMG 4904
IMG 4905
IMG 4906

• 260DET likes this

#42 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

here is a video of the car im going to make more soon and post them

Edited by gav240z, 25 September 2017 - 11:13 AM.

• 260DET likes this

#43 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Tagline:https://www.facebook.com/thezedshed/

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

looks like its progressing well mate! also see it got a share on FB on the Barra the world age too!

whats the shifter location like for the Zf compared to the standard hole need to relocate the hole? mounts look like they should work a treat providing the front rails are strong enough. the mounts you fabbed going to be welded to the rail or bolted?

• ORP967 likes this

#44 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

looks like its progressing well mate! also see it got a share on FB on the Barra the world age too!

whats the shifter location like for the Zf compared to the standard hole need to relocate the hole? mounts look like they should work a treat providing the front rails are strong enough. the mounts you fabbed going to be welded to the rail or bolted?

G'day mate
I didn't even know that I don't have Facebook so I didn't see it ahah that's pretty cool it got shared
I haven't mounted the shift yet but I don't assume it will be that hard (hopefully) they will be bolted 3 across the top and 2 in the bottom with crush tubes welded into the chassis
The front rails have been seam welded for extra strength so it will be fine, it's coming along well
I thought I uploaded the photos of that but I didn't ahha
I'll jump on the computer and upload them later on
  • MATTY likes this

#45 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Gday Guys the conversion is coming along nicely

here is a video I made on youtube if you wish you can check it out
still lots more to do and many hours left, the list I made is very long and will take some time to do it all properly
the wiring side of things should be finalised in the next few weeks

Big thanks to my good mate Mick who helped/guided me with the fabrication of the mounts
the engine has to come back out so I can finish painting/restoring/ fixing the rust in the engine bay then I can final install once completed
got the tailshaft being made in the next week or two also getting custom shafts made for the diff
let me know what you guys think

Edited by gav240z, 25 September 2017 - 11:14 AM.

• 260DET likes this

#46 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

#47 Girks

Girks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:16 AM

All the best mate!!

I'm never really on this forum but I was on today and stumbled across this thread, I'm continuing on a mates build at the moment that also has a Barra motor in his 240z, so it's super exciting to see someone else going down the same road! No doubt you'll get there before I do though haha.

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around the bonnet clearance issue?

Can't wait to see more progress on this, we'll need to go for a cruise when their both done! Haha.
  • ORP967 likes this

#48 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

All the best mate!!

I'm never really on this forum but I was on today and stumbled across this thread, I'm continuing on a mates build at the moment that also has a Barra motor in his 240z, so it's super exciting to see someone else going down the same road! No doubt you'll get there before I do though haha.

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around the bonnet clearance issue?

Can't wait to see more progress on this, we'll need to go for a cruise when their both done! Haha.

Oh nice how is your build coming along?
Yeah I will have to widen the hump in the Bonnet by about 30-40mm and add some height to it aswell, about 10-20mm we got the engine as low as we could without modifying the sump, my barra has a factory rear hump sump and the oil pickup runs from the front of the engine to the back to modifying the sump would sit it 5-10 mm lower but I didn't want to go that route,
Yeah for sure that would be great, how long till your project will be on the road?

#49 Girks

Girks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

I was thinking along the same lines, I've never had the bonnet for the car though so I haven't been able to test it just yet.

The builds been coming along very slowly unfortunately, but I'm starting to get stuck into it now, it went in for some rust repairs and got the chassis strengthened in 2014 but that's been about it.

Independent Motorsport down in VIC put the motor in the car in 09 before I had it, they've modified the sump though, looks like this one had a rear hump also, it got deleted and has been welded up to sit flat. The motor seems to sit as far down as possible, but it still seems like I'll have big clearance issues haha.

Also runs a modified nizpro intake which takes up a whole lot of room where the bonnet should be, so I'm thinking when I make a new exhaust manifold, I'll make it to try get the intake as low as possible, I'll have to move and modify the electronic throttle also to get that out the way as it hits the wheel tub.

I'm hoping to have this done by the end of next year haha.. hoping.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0283.JPG
  • IMG_0282.JPG
  • IMG_0284.JPG

#50 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I was thinking along the same lines, I've never had the bonnet for the car though so I haven't been able to test it just yet.

The builds been coming along very slowly unfortunately, but I'm starting to get stuck into it now, it went in for some rust repairs and got the chassis strengthened in 2014 but that's been about it.

Independent Motorsport down in VIC put the motor in the car in 09 before I had it, they've modified the sump though, looks like this one had a rear hump also, it got deleted and has been welded up to sit flat. The motor seems to sit as far down as possible, but it still seems like I'll have big clearance issues haha.

Also runs a modified nizpro intake which takes up a whole lot of room where the bonnet should be, so I'm thinking when I make a new exhaust manifold, I'll make it to try get the intake as low as possible, I'll have to move and modify the electronic throttle also to get that out the way as it hits the wheel tub.

I'm hoping to have this done by the end of next year haha.. hoping.

Those photos look good!!!
Looks like you will have the same clearance issues as mine
Has it been driven?
I'm hoping to have mine done at the end of this year hopefully aha
Power cruise is on in Jan-feb I think so I'll be keen for that
Will also take it out to cootamundra on the air field drag strip out there to see how it does 😎
Good to hear your making progress on it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 260z xr6 turbo, 2+2, engine conversion, gtr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users