#21 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

I hope you have a good fabricator on hand.
Good luck & post photos.

#22 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Tagline:https://www.facebook.com/thezedshed/

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ive seen pictures of some one starting a Barra conversion on a 2 seater Zed. never knew if it was finished but?? bit of sump modification is needed from what ive seen for it but. im currently looking at either a dry sump set up or using a territory sump as the have a rearward facing steel bowl sump thats eaiser to chop and change than the falcons alloy one. I too have a barra swap project on hand my self, into a slicktop 300zx.

ive got some minor firewall/trans tunnel modification to do. you might run into a few issues with wiring for the ZF and youll need speed sensors by memory from the box and a can be a pain to wire up through a stand alone ECU. but romours have it haltec have a new ecu desined for falcons plucking into the factory harness replacing the stock one. ive decided when time/money comes back to the project to run either a power glide or a T400 gearbox(given its mainly going to be a roll racing/power skid car.

as for all the gauges and displays what are your plans?? mine seems to be solved pretty easy by using a racepak dash has all the functions needed for my applications.

all little strange questions ive had about using the barra looms and wiring i was lucky enough to get advice from Forced performance in toowoomba QLD who know and have built some impressive barra motors and know their stuff.

sorry for the long post and ramblings but keen to see this in action as ive got a bit of love for the barra motor haha

Cheers

Matty

#23 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I hope you have a good fabricator on hand.
Good luck & post photos.

Thanks Lurch, I do have a great fabricator
Will do

#24 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

Ive seen pictures of some one starting a Barra conversion on a 2 seater Zed. never knew if it was finished but?? bit of sump modification is needed from what ive seen for it but. im currently looking at either a dry sump set up or using a territory sump as the have a rearward facing steel bowl sump thats eaiser to chop and change than the falcons alloy one. I too have a barra swap project on hand my self, into a slicktop 300zx.

ive got some minor firewall/trans tunnel modification to do. you might run into a few issues with wiring for the ZF and youll need speed sensors by memory from the box and a can be a pain to wire up through a stand alone ECU. but romours have it haltec have a new ecu desined for falcons plucking into the factory harness replacing the stock one. ive decided when time/money comes back to the project to run either a power glide or a T400 gearbox(given its mainly going to be a roll racing/power skid car.

as for all the gauges and displays what are your plans?? mine seems to be solved pretty easy by using a racepak dash has all the functions needed for my applications.

all little strange questions ive had about using the barra looms and wiring i was lucky enough to get advice from Forced performance in toowoomba QLD who know and have built some impressive barra motors and know their stuff.

sorry for the long post and ramblings but keen to see this in action as ive got a bit of love for the barra motor haha

Cheers
Matty

G'day Matty
The majority of FG sumps are rear hump from factory but I may have to still modify yet
The wiring side of things will be a challenge but it's all very doable
Yeah I did here haltech is making the ecus which is very good
Yeah I am thinking a race pak dash but I love the zed dash to much somill get a electronic speedo gauge instead
Will have to calibrate the sensors where I can to use some of the factory gauges but I mostly have aftermarket ones anyway
Only stock gauges I have are the volt and fuel gauge

Starting the figment this weekend coming so I will
No doubt post photos up this weekend
I'll have to jump on the computer for this
Just finished seam welding all the engine bay as per the engineer requests so will begin fitting/trial fitting
Then pull the engine out after final fitment paint the bay then final install
Good luck with your Barra 300zx will be awesome!

#25 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:45 AM

No weight number on the Barra yet? I recall that these engines were designed using weight reducing features like hollow camshafts, there was some talk that they weighed around what a twin cam RB did. So a bit bulky but not as heavy as they look?

#26 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

No weight number on the Barra yet? I recall that these engines were designed using weight reducing features like hollow camshafts, there was some talk that they weighed around what a twin cam RB did. So a bit bulky but not as heavy as they look?

Google tells me that the bare engine weighs 175kg to 180kg and with accs is about 215-220kg
No idea if this is accurate though
When I picked the engine up on the crane it wasn't any harder to move around with then the rb so who knows it might be
It does have lots of aluminium covers/etc so maybe it is accurate
Either way I'm
Not sure it's as heavy as people may think

#27 Jason89

Jason89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

Keen to see how this goes, Im a Ford mechanic and a big fan of the barra. Setting up the Haltech elite to control the box could be a bit tricky, personally i would use the ford PCM and tune it with hptuners or similar. Keep us updated with pics. Cheers.

• 260DET likes this

#28 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

Keen to see how this goes, Im a Ford mechanic and a big fan of the barra. Setting up the Haltech elite to control the box could be a bit tricky, personally i would use the ford PCM and tune it with hptuners or similar. Keep us updated with pics. Cheers.

Hey mate
Yeah I have realised that I will need to run the factory computer with a modified harness, a place called CAE performance has said they do that stuff all the time and I need to send my ecu and harness to them and they can get it working no worries at all so that's what I am going to do
Haltech are making plug and play ecus for ford engines as we speak so that's another option later on, but for now the factory ecu will be great

I got the engine in on the weekend and surprisingly the tunnel will not require major mods, I need to get the sump modified and chop about 40mm out of the front of it to get the engine to sit down a bit lower in the bay, this may be tricky though as the oil pickup in the fg engines are in the front I believe and that's what the hump/channel is for in the front?
I need to get on the computer and load all the pics I have taken

#29 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Good to see the progress, a lot of LS engines are rear sump with the pickup coming from the front. May be able to adapt something but there are probably other solutions out there in google land.

#30 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

IMG 4547
IMG 4546
IMG 4545
IMG 4544
IMG 4543
IMG 1917
IMG 4098

#31 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

there are a few photos, the engine and gearox are just sitting in there at the moment, at this stage we havnt made any mounts up just sat in there, I the newxt few week I will no doubt have pics of the mounts etc

#32 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Good to see the progress, a lot of LS engines are rear sump with the pickup coming from the front. May be able to adapt something but there are probably other solutions out there in google land.

yeah I have seen a few ideas and ill see which one turns out best ill update pics when I do mod the sump

#33 MATTY

MATTY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Tagline:https://www.facebook.com/thezedshed/

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

nice to see some progress pics mate!

i had found out through the fords ids software you can play around with the speed sensor as ford run theirs through the ABS?, that you can disable it in the settings. i noticed that few people in the barra conversion world have done this but not sure exactly if its when still keeping the ZF?

40mm on the sump sounds a lot less than mine thats needed. in the pictures ive currently mocked mine up with the specs of the Atomic dry sump you can get, with 10mm clearance off the cross member. it still sights bloody high and a 4inch reverse cowl barely covers it (dont mind the 'list' on the wind screen either it justs keeps growing haha). you might be able to drop your cross member too but its something id rather not stuff around with and make it fit whats already there if possible.

what were your plans for the diff? R200? it seems to be the most common. all though my 300 came with the R200 im planning on putting it in my 260 and ive sourced the larger R230 for my project.

oh one more thing haha any plan on getting it caged and trying to stiffen the body any to help hand;e the power and stupid amounts of torque barras make?

Cheers
Matty

Attached Thumbnails

• 17098700_978334515630951_4687373207515450325_n.jpg
  • 17098137_978334618964274_456080706823162775_n.jpg

#34 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

there are a few photos, the engine and gearox are just sitting in there at the moment, at this stage we havnt made any mounts up just sat in there, I the newxt few week I will no doubt have pics of the mounts etc

Looks like the engine can go back a bit more, making the bonnet latch bracket removable/bolt on may give more space for that. I'm sure that you won't rush it but now is the time to get the basic installation as good as possible, it helps bonnet clearance for a start. This is going to be good.

#35 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

Looks like the engine can go back a bit more, making the bonnet latch bracket removable/bolt on may give more space for that. I'm sure that you won't rush it but now is the time to get the basic installation as good as possible, it helps bonnet clearance for a start. This is going to be good.

Yeah it sure can go back a bit, we just sat it in there in the weekend to get some rough ideas and come up with a plan, I want to get it as far back as possible so the bonnet latch bracket will need to be removed/modified etc
Yeah we won't be rushing the conversion that's for sure
This weekend I'll have more pics to update and I'll post them when I do,
Yeah I am hoping it's going to be really good ahha

#36 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

nice to see some progress pics mate!

i had found out through the fords ids software you can play around with the speed sensor as ford run theirs through the ABS?, that you can disable it in the settings. i noticed that few people in the barra conversion world have done this but not sure exactly if its when still keeping the ZF?

40mm on the sump sounds a lot less than mine thats needed. in the pictures ive currently mocked mine up with the specs of the Atomic dry sump you can get, with 10mm clearance off the cross member. it still sights bloody high and a 4inch reverse cowl barely covers it (dont mind the 'list' on the wind screen either it justs keeps growing haha). you might be able to drop your cross member too but its something id rather not stuff around with and make it fit whats already there if possible.

what were your plans for the diff? R200? it seems to be the most common. all though my 300 came with the R200 im planning on putting it in my 260 and ive sourced the larger R230 for my project.

oh one more thing haha any plan on getting it caged and trying to stiffen the body any to help hand;e the power and stupid amounts of torque barras make?

Cheers
Matty

Yeah they run it off the abs module, you get around it by running a extra speed sensor off the tailshaft/gearbox? I cannit remember which one it is br it's doable
My plans for the diff is I am in the middle of rebuilding a r200 LSD I got from a member on here and I'll be running the billet driveshafts from MADDAT, I cannot seem to find any z31 turbo shafts so if anyone reads this and had some inbox me please I am very interested in them
I was planning on caging it but I have seam welded the whole front end, inside the engine bay, strut towers, casssis rails, ( I didn't personally I prepared it and my boilermaker mate did the welding ) and have to seam weld all the panels inside the car/strut towers and add some chassis bracing aswell as per the Engineer

All in all it's been good because I have been able to prepare all the panels and see what under the paint which so far isn't bad at alll so I'm happy about that
After we fit the engine and are happy with how it looks the engine will come back out, paint the engine bay and get the whole car painted then re install and hit the highways and drag strips/tracks ahha

#37 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Gday Guys

So here are a few more photos of the engine conversion, the ford mounts we used where ba/bf mounts as they come out nice and flat off the side of the block, believe it or not we used ls1 engine mount rubbers and they fit perfect into the ford mounts even with the little locating tab, we used these because if I end up breaking a mount they are plenty available and not so expensive to replace if need be and are low profile, we made the mounts out of angle iron 65x65x5 mm, we are using three bolts through the top of the mount and 2 in the sides with crush tubes welded in the chassis rails, coming off the angle where the engine rubbers sit is 6mm plate with gussets welded in for extra strength, the trans cross member uses the factory ford zf trans rubber, these will also have 3 mounting bolts per side with crush tubes welded in and plates in the inside of the cabin for extra strength aswell, the wiring is being modified by CAE performance in Victoria and should get that back very soon hopefully, looking to have running and driving soon so im very excited for that,

Still a lot more work to be done mounting and all that so I will keep updating photos as I take them, my mate who is helping me  works away and my car is a his place so we only really get a full day working on it once a week but we are making great progress

#38 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

IMG 4956

IMG 4954

IMG 4953

IMG 4950

IMG 4951

IMG 4952

IMG 4948

#39 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:32 PM

IMG 4894
IMG 4893
IMG 4892
IMG 4891
IMG 4890
IMG 4888
IMG 4886
IMG 4885
IMG 4886
IMG 4885
IMG 4836
IMG 4835

#40 ORP967

ORP967

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

IMG 4944

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 260z xr6 turbo, 2+2, engine conversion, gtr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users