No weight number on the Barra yet? I recall that these engines were designed using weight reducing features like hollow camshafts, there was some talk that they weighed around what a twin cam RB did. So a bit bulky but not as heavy as they look?

Google tells me that the bare engine weighs 175kg to 180kg and with accs is about 215-220kg

No idea if this is accurate though

When I picked the engine up on the crane it wasn't any harder to move around with then the rb so who knows it might be

It does have lots of aluminium covers/etc so maybe it is accurate

Either way I'm

Not sure it's as heavy as people may think

Keen to see how this goes, Im a Ford mechanic and a big fan of the barra. Setting up the Haltech elite to control the box could be a bit tricky, personally i would use the ford PCM and tune it with hptuners or similar. Keep us updated with pics. Cheers.

Keen to see how this goes, Im a Ford mechanic and a big fan of the barra. Setting up the Haltech elite to control the box could be a bit tricky, personally i would use the ford PCM and tune it with hptuners or similar. Keep us updated with pics. Cheers.

Hey mate

Yeah I have realised that I will need to run the factory computer with a modified harness, a place called CAE performance has said they do that stuff all the time and I need to send my ecu and harness to them and they can get it working no worries at all so that's what I am going to do

Haltech are making plug and play ecus for ford engines as we speak so that's another option later on, but for now the factory ecu will be great

I got the engine in on the weekend and surprisingly the tunnel will not require major mods, I need to get the sump modified and chop about 40mm out of the front of it to get the engine to sit down a bit lower in the bay, this may be tricky though as the oil pickup in the fg engines are in the front I believe and that's what the hump/channel is for in the front?

I need to get on the computer and load all the pics I have taken

Good to see the progress, a lot of LS engines are rear sump with the pickup coming from the front. May be able to adapt something but there are probably other solutions out there in google land.

there are a few photos, the engine and gearox are just sitting in there at the moment, at this stage we havnt made any mounts up just sat in there, I the newxt few week I will no doubt have pics of the mounts etc

Good to see the progress, a lot of LS engines are rear sump with the pickup coming from the front. May be able to adapt something but there are probably other solutions out there in google land.

yeah I have seen a few ideas and ill see which one turns out best ill update pics when I do mod the sump

nice to see some progress pics mate!

i had found out through the fords ids software you can play around with the speed sensor as ford run theirs through the ABS?, that you can disable it in the settings. i noticed that few people in the barra conversion world have done this but not sure exactly if its when still keeping the ZF?

40mm on the sump sounds a lot less than mine thats needed. in the pictures ive currently mocked mine up with the specs of the Atomic dry sump you can get, with 10mm clearance off the cross member. it still sights bloody high and a 4inch reverse cowl barely covers it (dont mind the 'list' on the wind screen either it justs keeps growing haha). you might be able to drop your cross member too but its something id rather not stuff around with and make it fit whats already there if possible.

what were your plans for the diff? R200? it seems to be the most common. all though my 300 came with the R200 im planning on putting it in my 260 and ive sourced the larger R230 for my project.

oh one more thing haha any plan on getting it caged and trying to stiffen the body any to help hand;e the power and stupid amounts of torque barras make?

Cheers

Matty

post-102427-0-30430100-1502101179_thumb.jpg

post-102427-0-63645700-1502101189_thumb.jpg

there are a few photos, the engine and gearox are just sitting in there at the moment, at this stage we havnt made any mounts up just sat in there, I the newxt few week I will no doubt have pics of the mounts etc

Looks like the engine can go back a bit more, making the bonnet latch bracket removable/bolt on may give more space for that. I'm sure that you won't rush it but now is the time to get the basic installation as good as possible, it helps bonnet clearance for a start. This is going to be good.

Looks like the engine can go back a bit more, making the bonnet latch bracket removable/bolt on may give more space for that. I'm sure that you won't rush it but now is the time to get the basic installation as good as possible, it helps bonnet clearance for a start. This is going to be good.

Yeah it sure can go back a bit, we just sat it in there in the weekend to get some rough ideas and come up with a plan, I want to get it as far back as possible so the bonnet latch bracket will need to be removed/modified etc

Yeah we won't be rushing the conversion that's for sure

This weekend I'll have more pics to update and I'll post them when I do,

Yeah I am hoping it's going to be really good ahha

nice to see some progress pics mate!

i had found out through the fords ids software you can play around with the speed sensor as ford run theirs through the ABS?, that you can disable it in the settings. i noticed that few people in the barra conversion world have done this but not sure exactly if its when still keeping the ZF?

40mm on the sump sounds a lot less than mine thats needed. in the pictures ive currently mocked mine up with the specs of the Atomic dry sump you can get, with 10mm clearance off the cross member. it still sights bloody high and a 4inch reverse cowl barely covers it (dont mind the 'list' on the wind screen either it justs keeps growing haha). you might be able to drop your cross member too but its something id rather not stuff around with and make it fit whats already there if possible.

what were your plans for the diff? R200? it seems to be the most common. all though my 300 came with the R200 im planning on putting it in my 260 and ive sourced the larger R230 for my project.

oh one more thing haha any plan on getting it caged and trying to stiffen the body any to help hand;e the power and stupid amounts of torque barras make?

Cheers

Matty

Yeah they run it off the abs module, you get around it by running a extra speed sensor off the tailshaft/gearbox? I cannit remember which one it is br it's doable

My plans for the diff is I am in the middle of rebuilding a r200 LSD I got from a member on here and I'll be running the billet driveshafts from MADDAT, I cannot seem to find any z31 turbo shafts so if anyone reads this and had some inbox me please I am very interested in them

I was planning on caging it but I have seam welded the whole front end, inside the engine bay, strut towers, casssis rails, ( I didn't personally I prepared it and my boilermaker mate did the welding ) and have to seam weld all the panels inside the car/strut towers and add some chassis bracing aswell as per the Engineer

All in all it's been good because I have been able to prepare all the panels and see what under the paint which so far isn't bad at alll so I'm happy about that

After we fit the engine and are happy with how it looks the engine will come back out, paint the engine bay and get the whole car painted then re install and hit the highways and drag strips/tracks ahha

Gday Guys

So here are a few more photos of the engine conversion, the ford mounts we used where ba/bf mounts as they come out nice and flat off the side of the block, believe it or not we used ls1 engine mount rubbers and they fit perfect into the ford mounts even with the little locating tab, we used these because if I end up breaking a mount they are plenty available and not so expensive to replace if need be and are low profile, we made the mounts out of angle iron 65x65x5 mm, we are using three bolts through the top of the mount and 2 in the sides with crush tubes welded in the chassis rails, coming off the angle where the engine rubbers sit is 6mm plate with gussets welded in for extra strength, the trans cross member uses the factory ford zf trans rubber, these will also have 3 mounting bolts per side with crush tubes welded in and plates in the inside of the cabin for extra strength aswell, the wiring is being modified by CAE performance in Victoria and should get that back very soon hopefully, looking to have running and driving soon so im very excited for that,

Still a lot more work to be done mounting and all that so I will keep updating photos as I take them, my mate who is helping me  works away and my car is a his place so we only really get a full day working on it once a week but we are making great progress

here are some photos of how the trans looks in the tunnel, we didn't have to cut out any sections in the tunnel, we did some minor massaging of the tunnel and the trans fitted much better than we expected, the original auto gearbox mounting points where cut off and a new cross member made, the box uses a cabe to shift it so ill have to mount the shfter and run the cable but there is plenty of room for that

IMG 4896

IMG 4901

IMG 4900

IMG 4899

IMG 4898

IMG 4897

IMG 4902

IMG 4903

IMG 4904

IMG 4905

IMG 4906

looks like its progressing well mate! also see it got a share on FB on the Barra the world age too!

whats the shifter location like for the Zf compared to the standard hole need to relocate the hole? mounts look like they should work a treat providing the front rails are strong enough. the mounts you fabbed going to be welded to the rail or bolted?

looks like its progressing well mate! also see it got a share on FB on the Barra the world age too!

whats the shifter location like for the Zf compared to the standard hole need to relocate the hole? mounts look like they should work a treat providing the front rails are strong enough. the mounts you fabbed going to be welded to the rail or bolted?

G'day mate

I didn't even know that I don't have Facebook so I didn't see it ahah that's pretty cool it got shared

I haven't mounted the shift yet but I don't assume it will be that hard (hopefully) they will be bolted 3 across the top and 2 in the bottom with crush tubes welded into the chassis

The front rails have been seam welded for extra strength so it will be fine, it's coming along well

I thought I uploaded the photos of that but I didn't ahha

I'll jump on the computer and upload them later on

Gday Guys the conversion is coming along nicely

here is a video I made on youtube if you wish you can check it out
still lots more to do and many hours left, the list I made is very long and will take some time to do it all properly
the wiring side of things should be finalised in the next few weeks

Big thanks to my good mate Mick who helped/guided me with the fabrication of the mounts
the engine has to come back out so I can finish painting/restoring/ fixing the rust in the engine bay then I can final install once completed
got the tailshaft being made in the next week or two also getting custom shafts made for the diff
let me know what you guys think

Edited by gav240z

All the best mate!!

I'm never really on this forum but I was on today and stumbled across this thread, I'm continuing on a mates build at the moment that also has a Barra motor in his 240z, so it's super exciting to see someone else going down the same road! No doubt you'll get there before I do though haha.

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around the bonnet clearance issue?

Can't wait to see more progress on this, we'll need to go for a cruise when their both done! Haha.

All the best mate!!

I'm never really on this forum but I was on today and stumbled across this thread, I'm continuing on a mates build at the moment that also has a Barra motor in his 240z, so it's super exciting to see someone else going down the same road! No doubt you'll get there before I do though haha.

Have you had any thoughts on how to get around the bonnet clearance issue?

Can't wait to see more progress on this, we'll need to go for a cruise when their both done! Haha.

Oh nice how is your build coming along?

Yeah I will have to widen the hump in the Bonnet by about 30-40mm and add some height to it aswell, about 10-20mm we got the engine as low as we could without modifying the sump, my barra has a factory rear hump sump and the oil pickup runs from the front of the engine to the back to modifying the sump would sit it 5-10 mm lower but I didn't want to go that route,

Yeah for sure that would be great, how long till your project will be on the road?

I was thinking along the same lines, I've never had the bonnet for the car though so I haven't been able to test it just yet.

The builds been coming along very slowly unfortunately, but I'm starting to get stuck into it now, it went in for some rust repairs and got the chassis strengthened in 2014 but that's been about it.

Independent Motorsport down in VIC put the motor in the car in 09 before I had it, they've modified the sump though, looks like this one had a rear hump also, it got deleted and has been welded up to sit flat. The motor seems to sit as far down as possible, but it still seems like I'll have big clearance issues haha.

Also runs a modified nizpro intake which takes up a whole lot of room where the bonnet should be, so I'm thinking when I make a new exhaust manifold, I'll make it to try get the intake as low as possible, I'll have to move and modify the electronic throttle also to get that out the way as it hits the wheel tub.

I'm hoping to have this done by the end of next year haha.. hoping.

post-103534-0-52167000-1506304242_thumb.jpg

post-103534-0-00775000-1506304273_thumb.jpg

post-103534-0-13113200-1506304301_thumb.jpg

I was thinking along the same lines, I've never had the bonnet for the car though so I haven't been able to test it just yet.

The builds been coming along very slowly unfortunately, but I'm starting to get stuck into it now, it went in for some rust repairs and got the chassis strengthened in 2014 but that's been about it.

Independent Motorsport down in VIC put the motor in the car in 09 before I had it, they've modified the sump though, looks like this one had a rear hump also, it got deleted and has been welded up to sit flat. The motor seems to sit as far down as possible, but it still seems like I'll have big clearance issues haha.

Also runs a modified nizpro intake which takes up a whole lot of room where the bonnet should be, so I'm thinking when I make a new exhaust manifold, I'll make it to try get the intake as low as possible, I'll have to move and modify the electronic throttle also to get that out the way as it hits the wheel tub.

I'm hoping to have this done by the end of next year haha.. hoping.

Those photos look good!!!

Looks like you will have the same clearance issues as mine

Has it been driven?

I'm hoping to have mine done at the end of this year hopefully aha

Power cruise is on in Jan-feb I think so I'll be keen for that

Will also take it out to cootamundra on the air field drag strip out there to see how it does ????

Good to hear your making progress on it