My New Simmons Wheels

PZG302

Well after a couple of months wait, they are finally finished and waiting for me to pay for them.

I will be getting a new set of Simmons OM18 wheels delivered in a fortnight. The size of the wheels are 18X8", witha backspace of 100mm giving an offset of -19mm to fit the suspension on my 240 circuit racer.

The centres have been finished in gold which will suit the Hawthorn Green of my Z nicely.

And best of all was the price, it may sound expensive at $3000 delivered, but I have a set of 3 piece wheels made to the highest standards in terms of quality and materials, plus any follow up service required is a phone call away to the owner of the business. Tony Simmons phoned me a couple of times to let me know the progress of the wheels and also to check fitment info and confirm what the wheels will be used on and for. If for any reason I need the wheels repaired I know that I can yake them back to the shop and they will be returned in better than new condition.

post-199-144023484742_thumb.jpg

Very nice. Good size too. Might be a bit of a pain to clean with all those spokes though.

Shouldn't be a problem only being used a few times a year, and then only when the car is on the track. Plus I wanted to keep the look as close to the old school BBS style mesh from the '70s as I could. I'm not a huge fan of modern styles of wheel on older cars, to me it just doesn't look right.

• Moderators

That price isn't too bad actually... mine all up was $2900 for the FR's 17"x8. From where did you buy them from if I may ask? From memory I asked about 18" but the price went up another $600 plus I didn't have the tires to fit. I thought of the OM18 but as Craig said cleaning would be a chore! Cant wait to see a pic of them too!

Yeah I had a set of BBS Symmons on my car many years ago. Pain in the butt to clean. I want to get a set of 3 peice ROH 18 x 9.5 (5 Spoke Medina) then my 17 x 9 ROH's will be up for sale. got to fit over those big brakes. Ha

That price isn't too bad actually... mine all up was $2900 for the FR's 17"x8. From where did you buy them from if I may ask? From memory I asked about 18" but the price went up another $600 plus I didn't have the tires to fit. I thought of the OM18 but as Craig said cleaning would be a chore! Cant wait to see a pic of them too!

Bought them from Simmons direct, wandered in with one of my old wheels they are replacing to give them something to measure up, as they were made for the car and the set up I have with the struts and brakes. I then went and measured the rest of the data they needed for brake clearance and so on and a few weeks get the call that they are ready. :D

Cleaning them is pretty easy with a good quality wheel brush, plus as they will have slicks mounted on them they aren't on the car for any length of time, so don't have too much to worry about in terms of brake dust or road grime.

did I read right? 100mm spacer? ................

As Lurch said, it was definately backspace.......

Another reason to get the wheels from Simmons. With the suspension set up I run, standard struts with the spring seats dropped to get the ride height we want and still run standard length springs, I don't have a lot of room so need a lot of negative offset to get anything to fit, let alone a decent width rim.

The rims ended up with -19mm offset which should give them an awesome deep dish look on the car and still fit under the very slightly flared guards, fronts have been pulled to fit as I still run steel guards, lighter than fibre glass and bend not break if you hit or get hit by anything or anyone, and little eyebrow flares on the rear.