• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering what happened to the Zoom project car..

I've had the car for a few years now running it at track days and drag events, just scraping past the time set in Australia, 12.55@112.8.

I've not done too much since importing it to the UK, but here is a brief run down

Suspension/Driveline:
New 280zx CV jointed driveshafts (after breaking the old ones)
Adjustable perches welded to original struts, coilover style, new springs to suit
Tokico adjustable dampers
Custom adjustable rose jointed compression rods and front arms for camber/castor adjustment.
Thicker nismo anti-roll bar
Adjustable drop links
Custom strut braces (standard ones don't fit the front)
New wheel bearings all round

Engine/exhaust:
Split wastegate style dump/y-pipe similar to Martin Donnan's Project soarer in HPI
De-cat pipe (we don't need one in the UK if the car is old enough regardless of engine)
PWR intercooler (yet to be fitted)

Body:
Full respray following a garage break in (the dragged tools/bikes over the car :-[ )
New airdam on front

Wheels/Tyres
Rota grid 16x8 wheels
Michelin Pilot sport cup tyres 225x50x16
(old stich evolution wheels stolen in the garage break in)

Thanks to Ben for a great job on the car. I've since done a couple of magazine features over here, including a really good one where we were timed Formula 1 style 0-60 0-100, top speed etc on a 2-mile runway.

I've not had the car dyno'd since the dump pipe upgrade, but my last 1/4 was at 114mph hinting a bit of a power increase.

Waiting in the wings is a single turbo manifold, but I think I'll wait for the twins to let go first. Plus more power might mean further driveline upgrades..

I'm also very interested in Ben's lightweight ideas, some of that may also be coming soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2353_.jpg
  • 2351_.jpg
  • 2349_.jpg
  • 2347_.jpg

#2 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

More pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 2363_.jpg
  • 2361_.jpg
  • 2359_.jpg
  • 2355_.jpg

#3 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

Last dyno on a dynapack over here

Attached Thumbnails

• 2365_.jpg

#4 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,400 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

Hi mate,
Great car, good to see its been looked after :). Just wondering if you are interested in turning this thread into a feature article for the front page of the site?

We usually ask to fill out a form http://www.viczcar.c...pic,1456.0.html, but looks like most details are listed.

Perhaps we could also get some details from Ben about the original build for the article.

Keep up the good work.

By the way, which part of the UK are you in? I'm currently living in Dublin, but plan to visit London in the not too distant future and I'd like to see Liverpool also.

Also do you know the owner of the widebody Z on the right of you in the runway pic? I've seen some cool videos of that car on youtube.com, be great to learn more about it.

#5 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

I think that's the Janspeed Z.. Didn't that used to be one of the works rally cars from Nissan? I've got an old Datsun tuning book from the U.K. with that in it...hmmm

#6 modular9

modular9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

I have always loved this car. Ever since i saw it on the youtube i have held it up to the skyline owners of this world as the archetypal retro-tech datsun.

#7 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:14 PM

cheers for that. i never got to see the end product.was always wondering how it ended up.looks sweet.

#8 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

In the pics above, are those lower front control arms solid steel plate? they look like they weigh 40 kilos each!

#9 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

Hi, thanks. I'll try and get the form filled out and emailed to you soon.

I live in Bristol in the south west of England, we'd say that is quite a way from London, but for you blokes out there I bet a 2-3 hour drive is nothing...

The widebody car is indeed the Janspeed one owned by Ben Stapley, here is a link to his most recent activities.

http://www.zclub.net...ead.php?t=12060

The car did pretty well on the day too

0-60:  4.2secs
0-100: 10.46
1/4 mile:12.79@109.61

Hi mate,
Great car, good to see its been looked after :). Just wondering if you are interested in turning this thread into a feature article for the front page of the site?

We usually ask to fill out a form http://www.viczcar.c...pic,1456.0.html, but looks like most details are listed.

Perhaps we could also get some details from Ben about the original build for the article.

Keep up the good work.

By the way, which part of the UK are you in? I'm currently living in Dublin, but plan to visit London in the not too distant future and I'd like to see Liverpool also.

Also do you know the owner of the widebody Z on the right of you in the runway pic? I've seen some cool videos of that car on youtube.com, be great to learn more about it.

#10 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

The arms are steel - I believe, they are pretty heavy, I wish I had weighed them now, but when comparing them to the stock arms, it didn't seem too different. Not like the Arizona  Z car billet ones though! (but can be adjusted on car)

From person that made them:
some more info on the new arms:

Increased the size of the custom "Jackscrew" to 3/4": ( it seemed that some questions the strength of the 5/8").

3/8" plate steel body: ( overbuilt as performance suspension should be. this insures no bending or flexing that can be attributed to stiffer springs and sway bars.)

Chromoly Threaded race tube end:

28000 lb Teflon race end

Custom Teflon/Delrin bushing: ( self lubricating sleeve bushing to fit over OEM crossmember bolt.. allows "NO MODIFICATION INSTALL".)

In the pics above, are those lower front control arms solid steel plate? they look like they weigh 40 kilos each!

#11 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

Hi Phil, thanks for adding your thread, good to see the former DAT240 in good hands  ;D

#12 240jz

240jz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:28 AM

Thanks Ben,

Took the car out to its first show this year 'Japfest'. Got the strut braces on, I had to make up the brackets, as I said before, and don't look too bad.

Intercooler to go on next...

Attached Thumbnails

• 2727_.jpg
  • 2725_.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users