my new big brakes

The cost of the various parts goes like this..

hats $200

adaptors $300

calipers new, Ebay USA landed AU$750 a pair

competition brake pads AU$280 landed

rotors Stoptech USA approx. AU$700 landed

The bits were made by a bloke in Melbourne called Chris Woods

very happy with his work.

I would like to do the rears as well, but that might have to wait for a little while. due to having the my LSD recoed and fabricating a front diff mount to stop tearing apart standard diff mounts. Here is a pic of what I had made by Chris as well.

The cost of fabricating the mount $80, special polyurethane mount $64

post-464-144023484136_thumb.jpg

Ive bought one of the poly mounts with one of those brackets in mine due to the same problem, but haven't gotten around to it yet, $80 seems quite reasonable for a one off part that size and complexity, or does chris woods sell these parts a bit?

Thanks for the price break down, how come the rotors are so expensive? Or I just shouldn't b comparing them price wise to the stock solid rotors? Lol

Pricewise these work out to be roughly the same as ArizonaZcars 6 piston, 13" setup (or does their price not include pads?) so any real reason y u chose this? I assume they'd comply to ADR's and easily pass engineers!?! hehe, hopefully in a yrs time this is where I'm up to...

Keep up the good work :)

Chris did the mount as a one off, so yes a very reasonable price.

The rotors are a high quality competition item from www.stoptech.com and the price is for 2.

The reason I went with the Z06 calipers is that PBR who makes them won a engineering design award for this caliper, and they are a road caliper with dust seals so they comply with ADR's. I am in the process of bedding in the rotors and pads and I have to say the comp pads squeal like a stuck pig!!!

Hey Sinisha,

Could you please PM me Chris's contact details? As at some stage i should work on the diff mount in my car...Are you no longer running a diff mount under it? It also looks like you may of had some extra plates welded in around there to strengthen it up? My concern with it bolting directly to the sidewalls is putting the holes in the right position, i was hoping to get a braket made up that used some tube so the existing mounts from the strap could be used but then it would need to be fairly tightly toleranced and is a pain to measure the dimensions correctly!

Out of curiosity, what rear brakes are you currently running?

I was also wondering what size rims would be required to fit over the brakes? If these will fit under the 17" rims i have i might be interested in getting some of the adaptors made up too!

Nice like the ducting setup too - got any more pics of that? Also it looks to me like those calipers are a mono block ie single casing = less flex. So what are the bolts in the casting for? I assume done for some manufacturing process only? ie how the fluid galleries are created between the pistons.

I did not know that PBR made a mono block caliper? Do they make some 4 pot version? If yes what size rotor and pistons do the have/support.

I have some Porsche Boxster mono blocks that I plan to install, again with a custom hat and adaptor but I will use a DBA rotor for my setup as the Stoptech is too large for my requirement - I think the smallest rotor they sell is 320mmx28mm and I am going to around 300mm x 25mm as the Boxster caliper is designed for a 24-26mm rotor. If I got calipers from the Boxster S then I could go to a 28-32mm rotor. The Boxster calipers are 4 pots both front and rear.

They look great Sinisha. I thought you were going to go for a 355mm disc. Was there any reason for going smaller? Did they not fit under the wheel? I can't remember if you were running 17" or 18".

I look forward to seeing you return to the track soon. Calder coming up, you would get some good use out of the new brakes there.

• 2 weeks later...

Chriss Wood is in Blackburn. Phone 9877-2032.

Tell him I and Sinisha sent you. He's a good honest bloke. One of the rare ones. Let us know if you are doing the same conversion. Will be good if he perfects the task on yours and Sinisha's ready to do mine. Ha

Hopefully sinisha will be out at Calder this Sunday then we can see them in action. I am heading out for a look, not a run. I might do the weekend after at Sandown it's an HSV day.

To all the guys who requested info on the brakes I would like to apologise for not getting back to you.

I didn't see the topic come up after a few days so assumed no further interest.

Now to answer some questions..