Importing Panels From North America (Mostly 240Z)

• Administrators

Gav if You find a set of std 240 struts both sides both ends and you have room I'll take them. Would like them to be complete with inserts springs and rear stubs if possible.

Thanks

Jeff

Can't find struts locally?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to give an update on this, there is some progress... Ok so first of all you may know that I recently imported some Topy wheels.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/11264-safari-brown-i-mean-gold-the-nsw-project/page-20?do=findComment&comment=194045

I recently got notification also that my NOS 1/4 panel has arrived, just waiting on email to let me know it's ready for collection.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15913-project-51-in-907-green/?p=192763

So far the import company I've been using has been good to deal with, but they don't really respond to emails (I asked them for suggestions on freight companies within the US to get parts to their Warehouse, once at their warehouse the rest is a piece of cake).

The only negative is once the stuff arrives you have a very limited (3 days) to collect before additional storage fees apply ( don't know what these are like yet ). Also I have a small car, so carry a large amount of stuff may require I hire a small van for collection and pick up (additional costs).

Right now my contact with many of the parts in the US is working through his stuff and hopefully putting the inventory in a spreadsheet with a list of prices etc.. Once he's come back to me with his costs I can start looking at options to ship to warehouse and look at getting this happening.

Is it possible and is there any kind of interest in getting some 240/260 moulded seat foam kits like this in a bulk order as they are expensive to get singularly? 

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic08f04/40-2691 

I would be keen for a few 

My contact in the US has an account with MSA and said this would be possible (to ship direct from MSA to the warehouse). It would help if there would a group buy for items like this as the more we do the more efficient it becomes.

Is there any demand for bringing in some of the Urethane Front Air Dams / Spoilers in your container?

Likewise with above, this is definitely possible but I was personally more focused on panels that are getting harder to find locally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Small update.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/13751-my-73-240z-from-zimbabwe/?p=195015

I got pinged for quarantine on my pristine NOS panel...but I didn't get pinged for the steel wheels.

Feedback I got about protesting this from the freight company was..

I have no idea why it was flagged but it was.

Yes your recourse is to get a lecture from Quarantine about being an unpatriotic Australian because you do not want to protect the delicate flora and fauna of our beautiful nation.

They are an entity unto themselves.

Kind regards,

Basically lube up... So I'm not even sure getting someone to wash stuff down before sending will make any difference. As that was my main concern. Find out why it was flagged and avoid with future shipments. But no... just an exercise in greasing palms it seems.

Funnily the last engine I received through customs, a couple of weeks ago, got pinged and had to be cleaned. First time for me. Came through Brisbane. I wonder if they are scrutinising car parts more now (Asbestos hysteria) or if its just bad luck / chance? Previous shipments sailed through with all kinds of quarantine nightmares. One batch of suspension parts had all sorts of mud nests on them and were covered in dirt. 

When I asked about the engine they said there might be grass seeds in the grease stuck to the sump etc. On the plus side, the  engine was very clean when I picked it up!!

hey Gav,

i was talking to my freight forwarder for work the other day, and he mentioned car parts generally need to be steam cleaned either before or after. I assume you can get a certificate of this being done from certain companies, not sure whether it is worth doing or not. 

• Administrators

Odinz - I had my FD RX-7 detailed top to bottom (steam cleaned) before I imported it and it still got held back... I think spending money cleaning on the other side is a waste of time effort and money unfortunately. It seems quarantine is just *random* and you'll get pinged no matter what. In particular higher value items I reckon catch their attention. In this case the 1/4 panel. As you can see it's hardly got anything on it, other than dust...

ah right. yeah, he did say customs can be funny at times i guess. he also said, wheel guards & 1/4 panels are a big thing with customs, for obvious reasons. 
I have had my fair share of fun with customs when it comes to work, but anyway, hopefully it gets easier. If you ever want my freight forwarder contact details, happy pass them on, especially if you end up bringing a containers.

• Administrators

So I got further feedback from customs, the wood box made to contain the panel was not heat treated! Hence the reason for quarantine cleaning costs... Which makes sense as I have heard this before about wooden pallets requiring special treatment.

Will hop off the soap box for now..  ::)

• Administrators

I'm guessing that's the ultimate goal, but word for word I was told.

Hi Gavin,

Your parts were picked up because the wood used for the framing of the crate was not heat treated.

ISPM-15 is the international standard for heat treating / sterilising wooden pallets. All whole-wood pallets should have the ISPM-15 stamp visible. I had read, before organising my shipments, that non-compliant pallets are not allowed to be exported from the USA. So I am surprised that the wood got through, however I have never tested the 'theory'. Other forms of processed wood (ply/fibreboard/wood composites) are acceptable in an untreated state. If lucky and you have no other options, you may find IPSM-15 stamped pallets on eBay local to the seller. Otherwise some importers will help you source them. The importer I use offered to swap my pallets over if needed but I always managed to get my stuff packed onto an ISPM-15 pallet.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hey Folks,

Thought I should make an update here, I've had a few PMs about importation of panels. I'm actually waiting on my contact in the US to get an inventory together of stuff and prices. He's busy like all of us with work, but may have some time off in a few weeks where he could be available to actually drive the stuff interstate and drop it at the West Coast warehouse / depot.

In the interim I've been importing a couple of things for myself NOS (drivers side 1/4 panel), bonnet and a second hand roof turret, but when I went looking for a rear valance section I actually found a passenger side rear 1/4 panel (NOS) and a roof (but someone else got the roof) and also this inner wing panel.

NOS passenger 1/4 panel (for #HS30 00051)

21640696_955935967882205_640967556_o.jpg

21766997_955935937882208_1275820045_o.jpg

Inner Wing (for LHD car as it has battery box on RH side)

22014828_959974127478389_1177943216_n.jpg

22015214_959974097478392_1073281017_o.jpg

I will probably grab it also, since it won't add much more cost to the shipping process. I don't need it for my builds and although it would be good for a spare, but if anyone needs this piece please let me know? Happy to put your name on it, no price yet as I have to negotiate that with shipping and import duties.

I've also been trying to find alternative sources for panels etc.. but many sellers only want to deal face to face and cash transactions, so that makes it a challenge.

The other idea I had was to use an intermediary within the US like a service called TaskRabbit.

https://www.taskrabbit.com/

To see if someone can act as a grunt on the ground to go do the deal and drive the stuff to a local warehouse (East Coast / West Coast) but that would bring in another third party..Since this is only something I'm trying to organise part time (outside of work hours) that's why it's slow moving.

If you're in a rush to get panels you might want to make your own plans, if you're happy to wait then keep waiting :D

Not sure if it would be helpful for all of you? But I might create a spreadsheet so people can enter in details around what panels they need and budgets their working to? Since I've had quite a few PMs but a bit difficult to manage like that.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

So bit of an update.

First update:

1. I went a bit quiet as I was planning to buy my first house/home but unfortunately that deal fell through. I was not able to spare the capital to import panels and buy a house but now that deals fallen through I should be able to get this happening again.

2. The company I use to freight stuff from the US to Australia has moved their Warehouse from Washington State, down to LA (Compton) - since LA is littered with S30Z stuff this should make life easier!

3. I recently imported a bonnet from Japan - I thought it was NOS based on the Yahoo! Auction photos, but turns out it's a reproduction bonnet. (photos below).

4. When I collected the bonnet from the importer I discussed importing more panels out of Japan (they deal with Supra stuff a lot and more modern stuff / new panels) but can help with S30Z stuff. It should cut out a few middle-men in the proces and make it cheaper!

On the topic of reproduction hoods, I haven't been able to easily get it to align (anymore than the original repaired 1) it seems 'ok' but there is definitely some variance in the pressings compared to OEM, I've taken photos to try and help illustrate them.

IMG_20171104_134054.jpg

IMG_20171104_134107.jpg

IMG_20171104_134119.jpg

IMG_20171104_134122.jpg

IMG_20171104_134134.jpg

IMG_20171104_134149.jpg

IMG_20171104_134207.jpg

IMG_20171104_134215.jpg

IMG_20171104_134223.jpg

IMG_20171104_134242.jpg

• Administrators

So I think this car is running a reproduction hood.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AM17/Amelia-Island/lots/r169-1970-nissan-fairlady-z-432/418110

There is a few subtle queues that I believe are different from the original OEM ones. But I might keep those to myself for now.

It's hard to pick, but I can just about tell...